Scott Talks Joeys with Vivek Khemka (VIDEO)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Right after today's CES Press Conference I got to talk with Vivek Khemka of DISH. ANd we talked tech about the new troop of Hoppers.

Here is the video. (You can watch on the YOUTUBE site in full 1080p.)

Last edited:
Thanks Scott and Vivek! Nice interview. I have only one comment: Moca bandwidth BAH HUMBUG! Should have gone GigE long ago and stop screwing with Moca.

Great interview Scott!

Ahh though to dream of a Two Hopper/one super Joey set up! oh well

Interesting bandwidth issues with 2 Hopper + Super Joey on the same network, would need to either get rid of a Hopper or have them separate and unable to share recordings. I wonder if you connect everything with gigabit Ethernet if the 2 Hoppers could see each other even if on separate MOCA networks. Then of course which ones gets the super joey tuners?

Also interesting you can designate channels for home security channels.... Too bad it does not seem like recording is supported (yet?).

Well, Dish also says that connecting two duo nodes (or a duo + solo) is a no no and will cause moca bandwidth issues.

So, if I understand things then ... if you have all your coax come to a central box ... where you have 3 from the dish ... it would be easier just to pop in a duo node ... and then have one host out to the Hopper and the other host out to the Super Joey.

Cool stuff. I have a feeling the Super Joey will take the place of the seamless dual-Hopper integration mentioned when the Hopper originally came out. I think it's pretty clever on Dish's part. They can add tuners to the Hopper, but at a lower cost than adding a second Hopper. They keep the Hopper manufacturing costs the same and still manage only one model type. From a Marketing standpoint they can really defend against any D* Genie claims about tuner count. Finally from the standpoint of an average user it is a simpler interface than two Hoppers. Very shrewd. I doubt any cost saving will be passed to us, but still...shrewd.

Cool stuff. I have a feeling the Super Joey will take the place of the seamless dual-Hopper integration mentioned when the Hopper originally came out. I think it's pretty clever on Dish's part. They can add tuners to the Hopper, but at a lower cost than adding a second Hopper. They keep the Hopper manufacturing costs the same and still manage only one model type. From a Marketing standpoint they can really defend against any D* Genie claims about tuner count. Finally from the standpoint of an average user it is a simpler interface than two Hoppers. Very shrewd. I doubt any cost saving will be passed to us, but still...shrewd.

I'm not so sure on them getting away from 2 Hopper installs. Right now a Plan A customer can do a Dish'N It Up promotion and get 2 Hopper with Sling receivers for free. Dish is also lowering the cost of a secondary Hopper with Sling by $100 for new customers. A new customer has to pay $199 to get a second Hopper with Sling now.

When slinging ... you use a tuner. With the SJ ... and slinging ... if all of the HWS tuners are being used, does anyone know if the HWS can route you to an unused SJ tuner? How far does "full intergration" go in this case?

When slinging ... you use a tuner. With the SJ ... and slinging ... if all of the HWS tuners are being used, does anyone know if the HWS can route you to an unused SJ tuner? How far does "full intergration" go in this case?

This a good question. Hopefully Scott will be able to find out some details while at the Dish booth today.

I got thinking ... it could end up being more of a settings thing. I remember with my 722, I could set the preference to record on tuner 1 first, or tuner 2. Perhaps with a HWS/SJ combo, you can set a "recording preference" to use the SJ tuners first??? We have to wait and see ...

Edit:

This way ... when slinging ... by "setting" the SJ tuners to be used first, the odds of having a free tuner on the HWS for slinging should go up quite a bit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts