Scott Talks Joeys with Vivek Khemka (VIDEO)

Still want 2 Hopper tuner integration

I have 2 HWS each with an OTA module and 2 EHDs and 2 Joeys. That is 8 tuners and 4 EHDs. If I replace a HWS with a Super Joey, I gain the ability to quickly see 6 tuners ( 3 HWS , 2 SJ, and 1 OTA) on all my 4 receivers. Now I can only see them all on the Joeys with the linking / unlinking interface. However, I lose 2 tuners and 2 EHDs. I know I can get a powered USB device and tie all 4 EHDs to it. However, from what I have read in this forum only 2 can be seen at a time. I am not sure if a $2 a month savings( assuming a $10/month SJ price) will get me to switch. The SJ is probably great for people with less EHDs and not use to 8 tuners. So I hope Dish continues to work on more tuner integration, as Vivek Khemka mentioned, for us 2 Hopper homes.

It was actually for the 922 and it was terrible. Huge piece of crap. I still have a couple.
I still have two of them as well.

Personally I like the current Hopper remote, it works well, I can use it in the dark without turning the lights on or looking at it. I don't want a touch screen where I can't feel where things are, that eat batteries of need to be recharged.

A good remote is like a good computer keyboard. The Dish remote feels like a Logitech G19 for me, which is really good. I can press any button I like and without question it's the right one due to muscle memory. The only thing lacking in the Dish remote is an LCD screen and backlit keys :) .

It's nice using my iPhone/iPad as a remote, but I still have to look down most of the time. The only thing I can do without looking down is type on the virtual keyboard, and even that isn't always successful. Touch screens are nice, but so are physical buttons. They each have their own purpose.

A good remote is like a good computer keyboard. The Dish remote feels like a Logitech G19 for me, which is really good. I can press any button I like and without question it's the right one due to muscle memory. The only thing lacking in the Dish remote is an LCD screen and backlit keys :) .

It's nice using my iPhone/iPad as a remote, but I still have to look down most of the time. The only thing I can do without looking down is type on the virtual keyboard, and even that isn't always successful. Touch screens are nice, but so are physical buttons. They each have their own purpose.

I think the Harmony One & 880 have the perfect balance.

So, no answer to my question about the eSATA port on the SJ? Or is that too far out in the future?

Only thing we know is that it may be enabled in the future.

The esata port on the Hopper is not activated.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Or the IEEE 1394 port on the 921? ;)

It would be great if Super Joey could be enhanced like the ViP211 to support an EHD, especially if it could be extended to the rest of the Hopper network.

But I'd rather have a solid product than a flakey product with extended storage.

Last edited:
What would move me from the 2 Hopper system is a 4TB drive and doubling the timer/event number. I use the drive space and timer numbers on my 2 Hoppers. I don't mind the lack of full integration, because I pay $7 month for a Joey to sit next to my main Hopper - one button on my Harmony remote puts my TV on the other Hopper for setting/managing timers and accessing the other EHDs. My Harmony One is the best remote I've had so far. Sadly, Logitech has moved too many functions to the screen on their new models.

Or the IEEE 1394 port on the 921? ;)

It would be great if Super Joey could be enhanced like the ViP211 to support an EHD, especially if it could be extended to the rest of the Hopper network.

But I'd rather have a solid product than a flakey product with extended storage.

And a virtual Joey app for those of us with a 211 on a Hopper network.

You know what is weird about this whole thing? I have always said they should of had the 5 - 6 tuner hopper from the start. Now they are going to come out with a super joey with two tuners giving you a 5 tuner hopper -when you connect it to your hopper. So now it will cost you $12.00 for the 1st hopper with the dvr fee and if you add the super joey , it will cost you $10.00 more, so effectively it will cost you $22.00 to use the new 5 tuner hopper. Boy! I can see why DISH didn't just come out with the single unit with 5 tuners from the start. They stand to make a lot of money now with this combination. I just wonder what the fee is for the 5 tuner Genie a month with DIRECTV?

** I just checked and it cost $25.00 a month for the advanced receiver service fee. For the mini Genie box there is a $6.00 fee for each.

So a two room setup for DIRECTV :

$25.00 Genie( 5 tuners)
$6.00 one mini genie
-------------------------------
$31.00 ( $41.00 a month if you pay the $10.00 advanced receiver service-hd fee after 24 month commitment ends)

Two room setup for DISH :

$12.00 Hopper
$10.00 Super joey (gives you 5 tuners) *Can record up to 8 shows during primetime + one ota show if you use usb ota adapter.
--------------------------------
$22.00 ( $32.00 a month if you pay the $10.00 hd fee,since no more hd fee for life for new subs after their 24 month commitment ends)

Three room setup Directv:

$25.00 Genie (5tuner)
$12.00 two mini genies
--------------------------------
$37.00 ($47.00 a month if you pay the $10.00 advanced receiver service-hd fee after 24 month commitment ends)

Three room setup DISH

$12.00 hopper
$10.00 Super joey (gives you 5 tuners) *Can record up to 8 shows at night during primetime +one ota show if you use the usb ota adapter.
$7.00 reg. joey
-----------------------------------
$29.00 ( $39.00 a month if you have to pay the $10.00 hd fee ,since no more hd free for life for new subs after 24 month commitment ends.)

DISH still is cheaper for equipment fees , EVEN IF you have to pay the new $10.00 HD Fee after your two year commitment ends.

***EDITED to reflect the advanced receiver service Hd fee for DIRECTV.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)