Scott Talks Joeys with Vivek Khemka (VIDEO)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
You know what is weird about this whole thing? I have always said they should of had the 5 - 6 tuner hopper from the start. Now they are going to come out with a super joey with two tuners giving you a 5 tuner hopper -when you connect it to your hopper. So now it will cost you $12.00 for the 1st hopper with the dvr fee and if you add the super joey , it will cost you $10.00 more, so effectively it will cost you $22.00 to use the new 5 tuner hopper. Boy! I can see why DISH didn't just come out with the single unit with 5 tuners from the start. They stand to make a lot of money now with this combination. I just wonder what the fee is for the 5 tuner Genie a month with DIRECTV? ** I just checked and it cost $25.00 a month for the advanced receiver service fee. For the mini Genie box there is a $6.00 fee for each. So a two room setup for DIRECTV : $25.00 Genie( 5 tuners) $6.00 one mini genie ------------------------------- $31.00 Two room setup for DISH : $12.00 Hopper $10.00 Super joey (gives you 5 tuners) *Can record up to 8 shows during primetime + one ota show if you use usb ota adapter. -------------------------------- $22.00 ( $32.00 a month if you pay the $10.00 hd fee,since no more hd fee for life for new subs after their 24 month commitment ends) Three room setup Directv: $25.00 Genie (5tuner) $12.00 two mini genies -------------------------------- $37.00 Three room setup DISH $12.00 hopper $10.00 Super joey (gives you 5 tuners) *Can record up to 8 shows at night during primetime +one ota show if you use the usb ota adapter. $7.00 reg. joey ----------------------------------- $29.00 ( $39.00 a month if you have to pay the $10.00 hd fee ,since no more hd free for life for new subs after 24 month commitment ends.) DISH still is cheaper for equipment fees , IF you don't have to pay the new $10.00 HD Fee after your two year commitment ends.
Direct doesn't offer free HD for life either, so if you want to throw that fee in on the Dish side, you should do the same on the Direct side (especially considering that you're talking 24 months down the line, at the earliest, on that fee for most Dish subs).

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

So a two room Directv is $31 (Genie 25 mini 6) + $10 HD = $41
vs
two room Dish is $22 (Hopper 22 SJ 10) + $10 HD = $32 ($9 cheaper)

three room Directv $41 above + $6 mini = $47
vs
three room Dish $32 above + $7 Joey= $39 (8 cheaper)

Or does the Directv fees include the $10 HD fee and shouldn't be added?

So a two room Directv is $31 (Genie 25 mini 6) + $10 HD = $41 vs two room Dish is $22 (Hopper 22 SJ 10) + $10 HD = $32 ($9 cheaper) three room Directv $41 above + $6 mini = $47 vs three room Dish $32 above + $7 Joey= $39 (8 cheaper) Or does the Directv fees include the $10 HD fee and shouldn't be added?
My understanding is the free HD on Direct is 24 months, but that once that's over it's very easy to call in and get it extended. But the fee still exists and some people are probably paying it. So if you're going to tally it for Dish, it needs to be tallied for Direct as well.

My understanding is the free HD on Direct is 24 months, but that once that's over it's very easy to call in and get it extended. But the fee still exists and some people are probably paying it. So if you're going to tally it for Dish, it needs to be tallied for Direct as well.

So you are saying that DIRECTV also is doing only 24 months of FREE hd as well as DISH? IF so then it makes all their equipment fees still higher than DISH after the 24 month commitment is up.

I re-edited my earlier post to reflect this $10.00 advanced receiver service -hd fee for DIRECTV.

Last edited:

Just trying to level the playing field with what an equal amount of tuners and amount of fees with what the total price without any discounts would be.

You know what is weird about this whole thing? I have always said they should of had the 5 - 6 tuner hopper from the start.
That IS weird. :) I've always said that modularity is the key to meet the needs of all customers, whether they only have one tv or 4+. And it looks like that's the way they are going.

Programming differences aside, if someone has one TV, are they going to pay $25/mo for a 5-tuner box (overkill), or $12 for a 3-tuner box?

So you are saying that DIRECTV also is doing only 24 months of FREE hd as well as DISH? IF so then it makes all their equipment fees still higher than DISH after the 24 month commitment is up. I re-edited my earlier post to reflect this $10.00 advanced receiver service -hd fee for DIRECTV.

I'm not a Direct sub, but yes, my understanding is that Dish's move brings them in line with what Direct is already doing related to an HD add on fee. But, as I also said, I've heard that it is very easy to call into Direct and get the free HD deal extended once the initial period is over. I'm sure someone with first hand knowledge will chime in soon enough. At this point, it's impossible to say if 24 months from now it will be just as easy to extend HDFFL on Dish.

There's also a possibility of more package credits and free Sunday Ticket(even though the regular season is over) as well, apart from the usual promotion for new subs with good credit.

I'm not a Direct sub, but yes, my understanding is that Dish's move brings them in line with what Direct is already doing related to an HD add on fee. But, as I also said, I've heard that it is very easy to call into Direct and get the free HD deal extended once the initial period is over. I'm sure someone with first hand knowledge will chime in soon enough. At this point, it's impossible to say if 24 months from now it will be just as easy to extend HDFFL on Dish.

I'm sure there are ways to get around some of the fees with DIRECTV ,if subs call in and complain or work a deal, I was just trying to go by what their own website says. But once you add the equipment fees to the already higher programming packs and you are really paying some money to watch their service, and it looks like even with the now higher fees announced by DISH , they are the cheaper of the two.

Only thing we know is that it may be enabled in the future.

The esata port on the Hopper is not activated.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I could see them eventually replacing the 211s with super joeys. I bet they designed it so (with the right software of course) it could be a stand alone box.

I could see them eventually replacing the 211s with super joeys. I bet they designed it so (with the right software of course) it could be a stand alone box.

I don't think so. I think many years out they might just discontinue without replacement the ViP211 series. Technology marches forward and maybe by then the Virtual Super Dish Anywhere with Borax! will make it redundant.

Nope not going to happen. Its basically two separate boxes inside one box.

They were going to make an external box to add tuners... and then figured it would be easier to throw them in a Joey box. The two tuners only talk to the Hopper, the Joey by itself can not see those tuners or access them.

There are no brains in the Joey, thats just a thin client which talks to the Hopper.

Nope not going to happen. Its basically two separate boxes inside one box.

They were going to make an external box to add tuners... and then figured it would be easier to throw them in a Joey box. The two tuners only talk to the Hopper, the Joey by itself can not see those tuners or access them.

There are no brains in the Joey, thats just a thin client which talks to the Hopper.

Boo... Well now they have another box to work on for the next CES... The Standalone Super Joey. It can be your first receiver and if you upgrade to the Hopper you can still use your tuners.

Maybe they can put a Joey inside a Dish Remote and it transmit the signal wirelessly to your television in whichever room you use the remote in. Biggest problem with that would probably be power consumption. Might as well have it all at the tv set at that point. Just putting it out there even though it's probably a dumb idea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts