Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Hi folks, for the next few days I will be posting here to this thread in a diary like fashion on my move to DirecTV.

This thread will be closed so only I can post to it, however I will open another thread where you can discuss my diary issues. This way folks can read my enteries in the order they happened instead of searching through pages of comments and questions from everyone to find my next entry. :)

(No I am not leaving Dish Network, I am adding DirecTV to my setup so I can talk about DirecTV in our DirecTV areas and actually know what I am talking about) :)

I am going to give DirecTV and honest shot and plan on compairing it with Dish Network. I want to give you an honest view of what is going on between companies.

I am installing all my own equipment from scratch. I will be installing a total of 3 receivers as well as the new DirecTV Slimline HU9 Dish. For receivers I will be installing a DirecTV R15 DVR, a DirecTV H20 MPEG4 HD Receiver and to finish it off, the top of the line DirecTV HR-20 MPEG4 HD DVR.

For installation I will be using all my own tools and wire, I have two spools of RG6 cable, one a single RG6 cable, and the other a dual RG6 cable. I also have a pro cable stripper and also a pro compression crimper which crimp on DirecTV approved Compression fittings on the ends.

For a meter I will be using a LACUNA MARK 3 SAT IDENTIFICATION METER which I got from SatelliteAV.COM. While I got this meter a few months ago, this will be my first time using it. This morning I updated the firmware to the latest version and I also updated the satellite maps with the latest satellite information. This looks like it will be a cool meter. (And its also designed to work with the DirecTV AT9 and AU9 Dishes) :D

I went to my local DirecTV retailer tonight and picked up all my equipment except for the HR-20, it was supposed to be here today but for some reason it did not come with their shipment. They are working on finding me one, but worse case I will have to wait until Tuesday to activate everything.

My main goal tommorow is to install the Slimline Dish and run all the cables for the 3 receivers. The H20 receiver will be going in my living room and will be hooked to my 60 Inch Sony SXRD TV. The R 15 will be getting installed in my 4 year old sons room where he can DVR his favorite Toon Disney Shows, and the HR 20 will be going into my bedroom (which looks more like a NASA Control room then a bedroom, with 3 TV's a computer with 2 LCD Monitors, 3 laptops, 6 Satellite Receivers, 3 Slingbox Units and two sets of Senheiser Wireless Headphones. :)

First thing I did when I got home tonight was opened up the Slimline Dish box. The first thing I took out was the LNB assembly, which I thought was odd looking, as it only has 3 LNB Eyes on it and they are all on one side of the bracket. If you look at it from the front it looks like there are a lot of LNB's going across the entire bracket. I guess they made it that long so that the front of the Dish looked nicer instead of like a G. :D

I dug out the installation manual and took it in the house with me.

I then went up to my bedroom and opened up the H20 MPEG4 HD Receiver and hooked it up to my TV.

As I unpacked it I found the way everything was packed and laid out and the quality of what was included to be much better then any Dish Network equipment I have ever opened. When you open the box, it is so well packed you immediately think that you got something that is quality. The fact that the DirecTV receiver came with all the cables you could need including a HDMI cable.

The manual was well done and nicely thought out, the smart card was packed it its own sealed package, and by you opening the package you agreed to the terms and conditions of DirecTV.

I turned on the receiver and got a welcome to DirecTV message and a few seconds later I got to the guided setup of my system. This to was much friendlier then installing a new Dish Network receiver.

I then got to the screen where I entered my Zip Code so I could get the Azimuth, Elevation and Tilt for my dish. I wrote all of these numbers in the Slimline Dish installation manual in the spaces provided.

After I did that I turned the H20 off.

Tommorow I plan to get up take the wife and kids out for breakfast and then come home and jump into the install at full force.

I have all my equipment lined up and ready and all thing that require charing such as my cordless drill and Satelilte Meter are plugged in getting ready for tommorow.

Stay tuned as tommorow I will update my DirecTV diary with how it all goes.

So far I got to admit, I am impressed.

So I woke up late today (it felt good to sleep in) :) and then got dressed and headed outside to put together the dish.

I got all the parts out of the box then jumped into it.

Surprisingly assembly of the Dish was EASY, I had the complete Dish put together in around 15 minutes, which I don't think is bad considering I have never put one of these together.

I hooked the Dish to my METER and held it in the air and immediately got signal. :) Let's hope its that easy when I mount it. :)

Missing from the install was lag bolts so that I could screw the mount to the house, so I will need to head to Lowes to get some.

Here are some pictures of the Dish. (And one of my dog... Flash. :D)

Attachments

• DSC_0846.JPG
    DSC_0846.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 546
  • DSC_0848.JPG
    DSC_0848.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 492
  • DSC_0855.JPG
    DSC_0855.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 520
  • DSC_0859.JPG
    DSC_0859.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 355
  • DSC_0862.JPG
    DSC_0862.JPG
    356.7 KB · Views: 550
  • DSC_0865.JPG
    DSC_0865.JPG
    363.1 KB · Views: 530
  • DSC_0868.JPG
    DSC_0868.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 481
Well the Dish is in. :)

It took a little longer then I expected as I took down and moved my Dish 500 and put the Slimline dish where the Dish 500 use to be.

I also had to jury rig the DirecTV Dish as the mount was bigger and I have aluminum siding so the bottom foot was not touching anything. So I had to cut soome wood and use it to support the bottom foot. Then I drilled through it and tightened everythng down so it was plum and level. And put the Dish on the pole and I was on 101!

While I was on 101 the signal was low, I checked 110 and 119 and the signals were in the 70's.

I then used the fine adjustement screws on the dish and got the signals on 101 in to the 80's to 90's from the mid 30's earlier. :) I checked the other satellites and the signal levels were all around the same range. I was happy and locked it down.

I unhooked the Dish from my Lacuna Meter and hooked it up to the H20 HD Receiver, and got the install screen. and did a check and all LNB's were OK except for the KA one. (But I hear the H20 does not work correctly on the signal meter for the KA.) I am assuming since I have all the other 4 satellites peeked that I should be on or close with the KA.

I now have the DirecTV Customer Information Channel on the screen. And the PQ looks good.

I also just finished installing the Dish 500 again and I still need to peak it, but I wanted to come in and report on my happenings.

I now have the 6 x 8 switch in place but I have not run any cables into the house. I will do that later (maybe on Monday.)

So far I am VERY happy with my install. Yeah it took awhile, but I did some other things outside including set up a blow up swimming pool for my 4 year old son. :) Its hot out there and I did get some sun burn on my back, but I think it will be all worth it. I am proud that soon I will be able to talk about DirecTV and actually know what I am talking about.

I am also happy as the folks from DirecTV have been watching this thread all day, and I have received email and PM's from a few folks at DirecTV. Its good to know they are watching. :)

Pictures coming later, let me go finish peaking the Dish 500. :D

Ok so I am all installed, still got some wiring to run but it went very well.

I have the H20 hooked up in the bedroom and I am going to download the CE tonight for it. :)

None of the receviers have been activated yet as I am waiting for the HR20. I am told tha if I activate now I may screw myself out of a rebate. So I will wait.

Here are the signal levels I am looking at

Satellite 101
Transponder 1 - 8 74 74 64 93 63 85 66 81
Transponder 9 - 16 71 73 69 94 70 86 71 85
Transponder 17 - 24 71 100 68 89 69 87 73 87
Transponder 25 - 32 72 88 71 67 75 83 71 88

Satellite 119
Transponder 22 - 24 79 92 80
Transponder 25 - 32 88 82 82 80 92 82 80 87

Satellite 110
Transponder 8 77
Transponder 10 73
Transponder 12 77

Satellite 103 (Network 14)
Transponder 1 - 6 69 46 0 63 69 43

Ok I just downloaded the H20-600 CE and I think I did a good job installing my Dish, the signal levels are now MUCH higher.

Here is where they are now...

Satellite 101
Transponder 1 - 8 95 95 88 100 89 98 91 97
Transponder 9 - 16 94 94 93 100 94 100 94 100
Transponder 17 - 24 94 100 94 100 95 100 95 100
Transponder 25 - 32 100 94 94 95 98 94 100

Satellite 110
Transponder 8 96
Transponder 10 94
Transponder 12 96

Satellite 119
Transponder 22 - 24 97 100 97
Transponder 25 - 32 100 98 98 97 100 98 95 100

Satellte 99 (b)
Transponder 1 - 6 100 97 93 97 97 98

Satellite 103(a)
Transponder 1 - 6 94 73 0 87 93 68
Transponder 17 0

MUCH better. :)

A number of folks have written me overnight and asked how a software update could boost my signal levels. A few folks told me what I wrote was bogus.

So let me explain, on the H20-600 the software which came with it had a problem with its signal meters which displayed the signal reading much lower then other DirecTV receivers. This has always been the case with the H20-600.

With last nights Cutting Edge software update, the signal reading's have been fixed so that the signal levels match the other DirecTV receivers such as the HR20.

The new software did not magically boost my signal instead it just fixed the signal meter bug on the H20. :)

Hope that clarifies that. :)

I will now be in a holding pattern until I get my HR20 on Tuesday, and then everything will be activated and I can continue my DirecTV diary. So thanks for reading, and enjoy the rest of your memorial day weekend!

Stay SAFE Goaliebob! :)

I got a call a little while ago from my DirecTV retailer (Orbitech Satellite in Plainville, CT) saying my HR20 arrived.

He said he hooked it up and activated my account. (Yippie)

My wife just drove down and picked it up and is on the way home with it.

I logged into my online DirecTV account for the first time, but it does not show my account being activated yet.

I am itching to get home and play with it, although my son has a baseball game tonight so I will need to go to that first before I can go home and hook it all up.

Man I cant wait to get home. :)

Ok home from the baseball game, my sons team killed the other team 14 - 2, they only played 5 innings because of the mercy rule. :)

Now it's time to unpack the HR20 and set it up.

I did play with the H20 down the stairs (which is running the latest CE) for some reason it's not getting my local channels from the satellite (I have the PLUS DVR HD package) so I am not sure whats up with that.

So here we go. :D

Ok all hooked up but I am having some strange problem. I just sent a refresh to my receivers in a hope that it fixes the isseus.

1) Non of my local HD via Satellite are working I get the 721 error message when trying to tune them in. The SD Locals are coming in.

2) HBOHD and Showtime HD are also giving me a 721 error message.

We will see in a few moments if that fixes the issue. (Lets hope so)

Ok I am not having much luck. :(

I spent over45 min on hold with DirecTV support, only to find out that while I have the Plus HD DVR package, the HD Authorization was never added to my account.

After they did that my HD locals popped in. (Yeah!)

After I hung up I found many of my other channels were MISSING from the guide (no Channel 101, 102 etc...)

I did a reset of the box (Via the menu, not by the reset button)

After resetting the box my channels came back.

I still dont have the HD versions of HBO or Showtime. (Service Not Purchased (721))

I am not sure if I should be getting the NBC HD feeds as I live in a O&O area. I would like them if I should be getting them.

However channels like The Mix Channels, the Active Button are working. Some channels like the Mix Information Channel give me a 721 error. Even a channel about DirecTV Access Magazine give me a not authorized message.

I was able to get into the Game Mix channel by going into the Interactive Weather Application and by setting all 5 cities to Dean, Alaska. I hope they work on the speed of these applications and games, as they are PAINFULLY slow. I was playing UNO and quit because it took forever everytime someone got a draw 4 card.

It is going to take some getting use to, the speed of everything is slower then my Dish 622. And speaking of HD, I am disapointed that I don't get NESN HD. I do get YES HD and The Mets in HD (although tonights game is in SD). I know a lot of you are waiting for me to report on the HD quality. And I will says that at first glance the picture is worse then Dish Network, however its not as bad as AT&T UVERSE. I do hope the future offers us better quality. I do hope to do a compare of the PQ between Dish and DirecTV in the future, this should not be hard to do since I can DVR the same shows from both Dish and DirecTV.

At the moment I must says that I am not impressed with DirecTV, however in saying this, I am new to DirecTV, I dont know how to do things yet and dont know where to easily find my favorite channels.

I do like having XM, I could possibly cancel one of my XM Subscriptions since everything I listen to on XM is on DirecTV (plus goodies not on XM such as my old time favorite, SPECIAL X!) I also like the 101 Channel which is like a music Jukebox. So far a cool selection of music. :)

If I dont have HBO and Showtime in HD tommorow I will call DirecTV, although it is my birthday tommorow, so who knows if I will even play with it, if I am lucky my wife will take me to Chuck E Cheese. :D (I actually like taking the kids there) :)

One more thing I am disapointed in is that the Kids Mix Channel is no longer available. I think my kids would have really used that channel a lot. I do hope they bring it back in the future, especially since its listed in the Channel Guide and is still listed as a channel on DirecTV.COM.

I have not hooked the HR20 up to my network yet, but I do plan to. :D

I fell asleep last night with the wacky music of XM's Special X in my ears. (I was wearing my wireless headphones) its not the same Special X as it was when it actually aired on the XM Satellite Radio Service. I miss the old Special X, but this will do. :)

Enough of that.

Anyways my wife woke me up last night and had me shut the HR20 off as the Blue LED Lights on the HR 20 were lighting up our entire bedroom. I know you can dim and turn off the LED Light Ring, I will need to find out how to do that and make the change. I was actually surprised how much it lit up the room. :)

There is some stuff I still need to do, like hook up the HR20 to my network and also to my Slingbox so I can watch it and control it from work.

A few folks have PMed me about my comments about my first thought on DirecTV's HD picture quality. One even said that I was such a Dish fanboy that of course I would say that Dish Networks is better. Folks that could be nothing further then the truth. I am here to give DirecTV and honest and fair shot, after all I am locked in to a two year commitment with them. (ala I am putting my money where my mouth is) My opinions I give you are just that my opinion.

I am not out to impress anyone with my opinions, just trying to give our members my honest views. I have nothing to gain by being a fan boy to eaither company. Both companies (and CEO at the companies) know who I am and what I do and they accept it for what its worth.

I should point out that after I posted my last post last night, I did watch David Letterman in HD via DirecTV, and the PQ was VERY GOOD (almost close to OTA good!) as I had the OTA feed on one HDTV in my room, and the DirecTV feed on the other HDTV in my room. I think that if the NATIONAL HD channels looked as nice as the MPEG4 LIL's there would be a lot less complaints. :)

Don't know how much I am going to get to play tonight, my wife has plans for my birthday dinner, and it's not Chuck E Cheese. :(

Grr I am kind of angry at the moment.

I just called DirecTV to turn on my HBO and Showtime HD channels, since I feel I should be getting them since I am getting HBO, Showtime and Cinemax free for 3 months.

I was told (Rudely) that I was not eligible for the HD Channels as they are not included in the 3 month free deal, and if I wanted them I needed to start paying for them TODAY.

I told the snot on the phone to cancel my HBO Showtime and Cinemax. She said sure no problem, they are now canceled, thanks for calling... CLICK.

I almost called back and told them to cancel it all.

What kind of BS is that?

Its complete BS. The HD versions come automatically with HBO subscription and Showtime. You have HD package so there should be no reason whatsoever. Call D*, ask for retention and explain the scenario. They will turn it on for you. Dont have to go immediately after I am leaving now. They are usually more advanced CSR's and used to taken care of stuff the front line ones cant.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts