Scott's Review of DISH's Hopper with Sling

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Recently my original DISH Hopper started having issues with its hard drive, so thanks to DISH I was able to replace it with a new Hopper with Sling!

Now if you remember last year I called the Hopper the "best DVR ever made... so far!" and was wondering if this new Hopper could live up to the hype. I was wondering if the engineers from Echostar and DISH could make the new Hopper with Sling better then the original. I would have to wait for a DISH Tech to deliver my new Hopper with Sling to find out.

Once the Hopper with Sling was delivered I was in a hurry to get it hooked up. so I unhooked the old Hopper and plugged in the new Hopper with Sling in. I imediately saw in the first screens that DISH has made improvements in the install process and got rid of "A problem has been detected" screen when you first plug in your Hopper. The install wizard went through and got all the software it needed and setup the remote. This was the smoothest install I have ever had of any DISH receiver!

Once everything was done I was at the activation screen, so I shot off a private message here on SatelliteGuys to Matt from the DIRT team to turn it on and within minutes I was watching TV! (They call Matt "Speedy" for a reason you know!)

I jumped in and the first thing I noticed was it felt a lot more snappier.. and I say this because I never felt the original Hopper was slow in any way. Overall everything was much more responsive.

Next thing up was trying out one of the main new feature of the Hopper with Sling and that is Hopper Transfers. I quickly went into the guide and set up a few timers to record. In setting the timers I checked the box to also prepare the recordings for mobile. I then went out and had dinner and came home to find the 3 shows I set times for recorded on the DVR. I then grabbed my iPad and downloaded the Hopper Transfer App from the App store transferred my shows to the iPad.

I then watched one of the shows on my iPad and was impressed with the picture quality of the show on the iPad. For those of you wondering, HD shows do have black bars on the top and bottom since the iPad does not have a 16x9 display.

The transfer features works well and I can see myself using this feature a lot, not only for my enjoyment but also for my kids. Now I can carry all their favorite shows with me and if I need something to entertain them, I always have my iPad handy.

Next up I fired up my DISH Anywhere app and with no configuration at all to the app my new DISH Hopper with Sling was shown in the DISH Anywhere app. Within a few seconds I was watching live TV. The PQ looked very good on the iPad from within my house. A day later I tried both my iPad and iPhone with live Sling and was very happy with the PQ, I would say that the picture looked almost as good as my Slingbox 500. I should note at home I have a COX Cable connection with 50MB Down and 10 MB Up.

One of the other features of the new Hopper with Sling is the built in Wifi, to test this I needed to unhook my Hopper Internet Connector (HIC) which provides broadband to all Hopper / Joey units in the house. After that I was able to go into the Hopper and setup WIFI. The setup was painless, I picked my WIFI connection from the list of WIFI signals it was receiving and then input my WIFI password. The Hopper is sitting within 3 feet of my wireless router so I expected a 100% signal, but was surprised my signal was only in the 60's. I am not sure if its just my setup or if the WIFI pickup on the Hopper with Sling is weak. (The router is a Netgear WNDR4000) After tinkering with it for a few minutes I went back and hooked up the HIC again. So the WIFI does work, but if you have a hardwired connection available I advise you to use that or to invest the $39 and get the HIC which delivers broadband to all your Hoppers / Joeys in your house.

In the time I have had my Hopper with Sling it has been flawless in its operation.

Without hesitation I can safely say that DISH has made the Best DVR Ever Made even better! My mind just wonders now what else they can add to make it even better. I know some would like more tuners but honestly I don't see that happening, in fact I think having two Hoppers is best.

If I could make a few suggestions for what I would like to see changed on the Hopper with Sling is I would like to be able to initialize transfers to my iPad from the Hopper. For me I carry my iPad with me in my laptop bag when I get home I leave it in the bag, and only get it when I need it. I would like to see a way to initiate the transfer of recordings from the Hopper to the iPad without me having to physically go get the iPad and start it. I would also like to see a way to transfer shows from my other Hopper (which is NOT a Hopper with Sling) so that I can transfer them to my iPad. There needs to be file sharing between the Hoppers to make this happen, it would even be nice to mark shows for Mobile on the old Hopper and have the Old Hopper automatically send the file to the new Hopper with Sling for mobile preparation and transfer. But Rome was not built in a day so who knows this may be possible in the future!

The new DISH Hopper with Sling is not a revolution like the original Hopper was but it is a very nice evolution. Now with the new Hopper with Sling out one can only wonder what can they add to the next generation? I am sure what ever it is, it will surprise us and many of us will want one. Yes folks... it's true the best DVR got better!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: johnny reid
First! I was also skeptical about the HWS, but now after installing two, wow! It truly lived up to the hype.

I immediately noticed the FAR better factory firmware. No more getting stuck searching for sat 119!

As to the wireless, works flawlessly here at my home.

the only issue I had with it during the install was that the setup just wouldn't work right for wireless. When I went in after the installer left, I could configure that just fine and that's the way it has been running for about a month now.

If you're having a wireless issue, it probably is in your home.

Otherwise, nice quick review.

The Hopper is sitting within 3 feet of my wireless router so I expected a 100% signal, but was surprised my signal was only in the 60's. I am not sure if its just my setup or if the WIFI pickup on the Hopper with Sling is weak. (The router is a Netgear WNDR4000)

Remember that the RF coverage area looks like a donut with a hole around your wireless router's antenna, so if you are too close to it you would expect the signal to degrade a bit since you are near the "hole" of the signal. If you moved it a bit further away from the router you may have seen the signal improve.

Remember that the RF coverage area looks like a donut with a hole around your wireless router's antenna, so if you are too close to it you would expect the signal to degrade a bit since you are near the "hole" of the signal. If you moved it a bit further away from the router you may have seen the signal improve.

Also keep in mind that that number is the SNR, and not on a scale of 0-100. An SNR of 60 is EXCELLENT. Anything above 25 is considered excellent. My dish wifi adapter that is within 3 feet of two large antennas gets 70.

Also keep in mind that that number is the SNR, and not on a scale of 0-100. An SNR of 60 is EXCELLENT. Anything above 25 is considered excellent. My dish wifi adapter that is within 3 feet of two large antennas gets 70.

Ahh you might have hit the nail on the head. :)

Hey Scott I have a question.Does the Hopper delete the original program once its on the iPad? If so can you transfer it back to archive? Thanks man! Great review!

No and no. So far only HBO and Cinemax content are moved rather than copied. Once moved, it cannot be moved back.

I suppose you could make simultaneous recordings if one used the map-down low-number channels and the other the high-number ones. Of course, repeats work, too.
-Ken

I suppose you could make simultaneous recordings if one used the map-down low-number channels and the other the high-number ones. Of course, repeats work, too.
-Ken

Except that on the Hopper only the map-downs are in the guide all the "real" high numbers are hidden and inaccessible.

If I could make a few suggestions for what I would like to see changed on the Hopper with Sling is I would like to be able to initialize transfers to my iPad from the Hopper. For me I carry my iPad with me in my laptop bag when I get home I leave it in the bag, and only get it when I need it. I would like to see a way to initiate the transfer of recordings from the Hopper to the iPad without me having to physically go get the iPad and start it.

I doubt this will ever work on the iPad due to the limitations of the API for iOS applications. I do see this being possible for Android based devices.

My original Mac IIsi with a 68030 20MHz chip and 80MB (not GB) of memory was capable of Web work through a dial-up line, and the processor in any of these receivers in vastly stronger so why would it need more horsepower?
-Ken

My original Mac IIsi with a 68030 20MHz chip and 80MB (not GB) of memory was capable of Web work through a dial-up line, and the processor in any of these receivers in vastly stronger so why would it need more horsepower?
-Ken

A 1989 Toyota Corolla could get you from point A to point B. Why would you want more horsepower? lol :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)