SCOTUS rules against Aereo

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

D. Manley

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
United States
Sorry, can't link from phone but ruling was 6-3 against Aereo. Huge win for the cable companies & I don't see how Aereo can survive now. I see it as a bad day for consumers.

All I can say is the SCOTUS has lost its bearings a long time ago, and nothing but just another political line to be drawn... They are useless on both sides of the isle!... It has nothing to do with you or me anymore.....
Interpretation of men who have been dead for 230 years???? LOL... Did Washington have satellite TV? Nope... AK47s? nope... They are completely irrelevant it the 21st century.....

Talk about time to hit the reset button.......clueless rich people hanging on to there old world religious views...Lost in communication....

Reactions: MikeD-C05
There are excerpts from the dissent in which Scalia stated that the majority and he agreed that Aereo were exploiting a loophole in the law. He said that it is the job of good lawyers to find loopholes and exploit them. He said that it is up to legislatures to plug loopholes if they so choose. He said that the courts should only interpret the laws as written by the legislature and not do the legislature's job and change the law from the bench.

He actually said that he agreed that Aereo should not be allowed to do what they are doing, but that they are not violating the laws as they are written.

I saw today that Aereo has stopped its service until it figures out what to do. I would think the model of locals via internet for carriage fees above their current "DVR" fees would work, esp in this age of cutting the cord.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TheKrell
Yup. From their letter on the front page:
As a result of that decision, our case has been returned to the lower Court. We have decided to pause our operations temporarily as we consult with the court and map out our next steps. All of our users will be refunded their last paid month.

I saw today that Aereo has stopped its service until it figures out what to do. I would think the model of locals via internet for carriage fees above their current "DVR" fees would work, esp in this age of cutting the cord.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree - looks like they (and anyone else off site) will be compelled to pay the retransmission fees regardless of how innovative the delivery system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)