Screen protector or no?

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
How many of you use a screen protector on your new smartphone?

I generally always do.

Haven't twice, on devices with gorilla glass no less, the latest one only over a month and both ended up with scratches.

Anyone that's bought a phone from me can testify to the condition. I take care of them. Any I sell are mint. So it's nothing I'm doing in particular.

So imo even with the latest in "scratch resistant" glass it needs an extra layer.

What say you?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I always have on all my tablets. On my phones I have too, until recently I took it off. I like it a little better with it off, it has gotten some scratches now even though it supposed to be resistant.

I had a zagg screen protector on my first smart phone and the factory one on my HTC but with an Otterbox case. I have seen what happens when you don't. A friend of mine has the exact same phone as I do and six month into owning it, he sits down in tight pants and we hear a SNAP! The glass shattered against a quarter in his pocket.

I have not, but I keep it in a pocket without anything else in it. That way I know it will not get scratched!

I had the same line of thinking with this latest one. Did the same thing. Pocket by itself, no way it can get scratched, right?
Nope....

I had a zagg screen protector on my first smart phone and the factory one on my HTC but with an Otterbox case. I have seen what happens when you don't. A friend of mine has the exact same phone as I do and six month into owning it, he sits down in tight pants and we hear a SNAP! The glass shattered against a quarter in his pocket.
Good lord, how tight were those jeans?
Had to be a freak set of circumstances or one would think phones would stay shattered in many womens pockets.

I had the same line of thinking with this latest one. Did the same thing. Pocket by itself, no way it can get scratched, right?
Nope....

How did you scratch it? I could see possibly doing it on jeans with metal near the pocket opening, but not in the pocket itself.

I used to always keep a screen protector and an Otterbox case on all my iPhones. When the iPhone 5 came out I saw a review at iMore that included drop test videos. They dropped the phone onto cement from several different heights including from the top of a ladder and none of the drops broke the screen. They finally got it to break by spiking the phone like Gronkowski does when he scores a touchdown.

The otterbox I used on the 4 and 4S obviously didn't fit the 5 and after experiencing how much lighter and thinner the 5 felt than my 4S plus otterbox brick I didn't want to wrap it up in a case. They were necessary with the 4 and 4S having a glass body. I saw many people who had cracked the rear of those phones. I think the metal body of the iPhone 5 and 5S pretty much makes a case unnecessary though.

The way I see it, these things were designed to be durable enough to use without a case. What's the point of that perfectly scratch free body and nice design of these smartphones if you are going to hide it with a cheap looking plastic case? I preordered the iPhone 5 and have been using it since the day they first became available. This phone has never had a screen protector or case on it. I have dropped it several times on various surfaces with no real damage. I have a couple dings and scratches in the aluminum, mostly on the corners. The screen is still perfect and for the most part there have been no repercussions for keeping my iPhone naked for almost 2 years.

How did you scratch it? I could see possibly doing it on jeans with metal near the pocket opening, but not in the pocket itself.

I honestly do not know. Its fine hairline scratches mostly. Nothing you can see with the screen on, and most wouldnt notice with it off. I did though. lol

The way I see it, these things were designed to be durable enough to use without a case. What's the point of that perfectly scratch free body and nice design of these smartphones if you are going to hide it with a cheap looking plastic case?

Resale value :)

Resale value :)

I can see that end of it. I used to upgrade with most of the yearly iPhone releases. Now I think I'm done with that unless there is a major change to make it worth my while. Even when I did do that I never sold my old phones though. They have been hand-me-downs to my mom or sister. Since, I don't sell them I guess I have never thought about the resale value.

I have seen plenty of Android phones that look great. Some of them would probably have been enough to keep me on the yearly upgrade path instead of waiting 2 or 3 years between new phones. If I was upgrading yearly the resale value would be more important to me. I'm too deep into the Apple ecosystem to switch to Android or anything else now though. Between the iPhone and iPad I have purchased too many apps that work on both devices to say goodbye to them and start over. Even if I went with an Android phone I would keep my iPad meaning I would have to buy Android and iOS versions of the same apps.

I have not used one up until my current phone (Galaxy Note 3). The only reason I have one now is due to the Otter box has one built into it.
I always carried my phone in a case of some kind which kept the screen from getting scratched.

I don't think the OtterBox looks cheap.

And I prefer the heft and protection. It's a firmer grip than the iPhone directly. I don't need or want a phone as small as Apple wants to make. I carry it on my belt or in a jacket pocket.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)