Screen Stalls and Sound blanks

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

StewartFan

Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
Hi guys. Is it me or are the problems with screen stalls and the sound blanking out getting worse?! I was watching Lethal Weapon today and I had to check to see if my dish was getting a strong signal and sure enough 95-96. I sure wil be glad when the new software comes out. Maybe then I can finally get my OTA channels.

I have the random black screen, but it seems to not happen when you use component cables. The PQ is still very good using component cables and I am going to use the DVI connection for my new DVD player, which should be here next week.

That's funny I had the same problem when watching lethal weapon. I am constantly having to reboot my box because it locks up.

I also get screen stalls, sound problems etc... I am getting really aggravated with Voom..... Definately a "beta" quality service.

bengel said:
I am constantly having to reboot my box because it locks up.
bengel, Welcome to the forum!
Do you get lockups when switching channels, or does it lockup on its own while you are watching? Could you quantify "constantly"?

Another welcome, Bengel!

bengel said:
I am constantly having to reboot my box because it locks up.

I also get screen stalls, sound problems etc... I am getting really aggravated with Voom.....

How long have you been VOOMIN'? (Do you have the latest software?)
What is your signal strength? Does it fluctuate? :confused:

Black screens, video and audio dropouts

I have only noticed these today but they are very bad. Signal quality is 96 and steady but all the movie channels I've checked are hosed. Not only that but since I had Voom installed my property has been invaded by gypsy moths.
That does it, I'm dropping Voom. ;)

picture quality

I've been gone for about a week. I don't remember seeing problems in June but I can't miss them now. Picture and sound take a hit very often, about every 15 secs. Satellite quality is at 96 and steady. Hopefully it's at the transmitter site and not the satellite itself. :confused:

I had the same problem last night under starry skies. 96 signal, was watching StarzHD, audio would keep going out about every 15-20 seconds, and the picture would studder. Movie was unwatchable, had to change to an SD channel with no problems.

TechCop said:
How long have you been VOOMIN'? (Do you have the latest software?)
What is your signal strength? Does it fluctuate? :confused:

I have had voom for 1-2 months. My signal strength does fluctuate but not by much (2-4%). It is around 95 %. I also have a clear shot at the satellite i.e. no trees waving thru the "line of sight". I have to reboot it on a regular basis - once every other day or so. It seems to lock up when surfing channels rapidly. I also have other weird problems too....

Yes I do have the latest software (5.68) and I am hoping v 6.0 will fix the problems I am having. (whenever that gets released, I have conflicting info about the release).

I have called voom numerous times and have had the installation guys out here twice.... 1st time they swapped out the box, 2nd time they changed my diplexer. They are coming out again Saturday to swap out the entire cable run and replace my dish/LNB.

The only good news is I have gotten $150 in credit for the service trouble I have been having :)

Is anyone else having the same problem?

bengel said:
I have to reboot it on a regular basis - once every other day or so. It seems to lock up when surfing channels rapidly.
Nothing's wrong with your box. It's a known bug in the software. Just don't switch channels too quickly, or use the Surf Bar instead.

Hey quick question what is typical OTA signal strength, in my downstairs TV I typically receive around 17-20

Dvlos said:
Hey quick question what is typical OTA signal strength, in my downstairs TV I typically receive around 17-20
17-20 is no signal! The readings are channel-specific. Tune to a channel first and then check the signal.

Yeah I was getting 17-20 in my downstairs TV for OTA signal strength, satellite was in the 90s, thats what I got on the channels I could see. I don't know if you remember Ilya the problems I was having on my widescreen downstairs with getting channel 261, and a few others. You posted on how the voltage from the STB is a problem. Well I am waiting until July 24th for the repair guy to come out, but that's the signal strength I get for OTA.

I don't get Fox, PBS, and NBC is erratic downstairs. Upstairs I get everything except PBS. I've already had multiple visits I've already told the CSR at Voom, they scheduled for them to replace all old copper wiring in my house, possible change my OTA to a stronger omnidirectional, and/or run without a diplexer, blah blah blah until the problem is fixed.

I guess I should be impressed I could see Everybody Loves Raymond in HD with that signal strength?

I am really surprised that you can see anything at all with such signal strength...
What is the signal quality and SNR for those OTA channels?

Actually somethings wrong with my STB or wiring, I'll be watching a show and the STB says the signal strength is 12-20 then jump to 85 all the while I have picture.. I have times of the day when I have 0 Signal strength from the OTA and I have NO OTA for hours.. I'm going to go bats**t insane and just tear out all the COAX cabling in the house and that OTA antenna and melt it all into a huge disc and give it to the installer when he comes out. Be like "oops".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)