Screwed up my homes Sat System on Thanksgiving, now I'm in hot water!!

J3ff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
HI there, I'm hoping someone can help me, here's the important info.

I have two 311's and a vip622 my zip is 06850.

I'm trying to hook them up and get them going. Obviously I just dont "get it" yet as far as hooking up satellites to boxes go.

Right now My vip622 is fine, it has two separate inputs and the 311 in room A has its own wire from somewhere else on the roof.

I got dish to send me another 311, and I thought I could just put a splitter in the line that goes to 311 room A and bring it out to the other room "311 Room B"

Now that does seem to work, however, as soon as the person in Room A changes the channel, Room B looses the signal.

This is a big problem on thanksgiving morning! My mom is not :D at me this morning.

So I said forget it, instead of splitting the signal at room A I'm going to just pass the signal through to Room B. However now I did the check switch thing and it cant figure out which satellite and which transponder to use.

Does anyone have any :eureka:'s of what to do? Thanks so much!

You didn't supply enough info. What type dish, what type switch box, if any??
Is your 622 also feeding another TV room? TV2 Remote?
You cannot split a coax line to two receivers.

fred

I think the 622 doesn't matter in this problem. Basically I guess I need to know what satellite and transponder to point it at if I'm in the north east?

The switch is a DPP Twin

thanks will try it......

New question.......

Am I not able to 'split' a satellite feed if I'm using two of the same model receivers?

You didn't supply enough info. What type dish, what type switch box, if any??
Is your 622 also feeding another TV room? TV2 Remote?
You cannot split a coax line to two receivers.

fred

So what do I do? Do I have to get a line from the switch on the roof to the third receiver?

it's strange, because right now Room B is working split on the line that Room A is.

However if I change the channel in room A it messes up room B

but if I change Room B it doesn't effect Room A

:(

Ok, sorry for such noob questions, what's an 1000.2 lnb.....

What would you do in this situation? Just call dish? what are they going to charge to get a guy out here to hook it up right?

what is the optimal setup config for somethin like that

HI there, I'm hoping someone can help me, here's the important info.

I have two 311's and a vip622 my zip is 06850.

I'm trying to hook them up and get them going. Obviously I just dont "get it" yet as far as hooking up satellites to boxes go.

Right now My vip622 is fine, it has two separate inputs and the 311 in room A has its own wire from somewhere else on the roof.

I got dish to send me another 311, and I thought I could just put a splitter in the line that goes to 311 room A and bring it out to the other room "311 Room B"

Now that does seem to work, however, as soon as the person in Room A changes the channel, Room B looses the signal.

This is a big problem on thanksgiving morning! My mom is not :D at me this morning.

So I said forget it, instead of splitting the signal at room A I'm going to just pass the signal through to Room B. However now I did the check switch thing and it cant figure out which satellite and which transponder to use.

Does anyone have any :eureka:'s of what to do? Thanks so much!

Next time let a professional handle it since you dont have any idea what your doing, this will save you a headache and keep you in good graces with your family and your wife wont be looking at you with that " I told you you were an idiot " look.

Ok, sorry for such noob questions, what's an 1000.2 lnb.....

What would you do in this situation? Just call dish? what are they going to charge to get a guy out here to hook it up right?

what is the optimal setup config for somethin like that

call dish and have professional do it. like VAN said. they will install what needs to be installed. (with out any splitters:D)

Ditto that Van I hate stupid customers that think they have a cable system. The worst is he got the receiver from DISH so he should have also gotten a free install under dishin it up.

You know, you guys don't have to be such jerks about it.

Dish sent me a third box and told me I just have to "hook it up" not like I know the difference here.

Get off your high horse, I already did get a free install of my other two boxes, but there was no talk of needing an official "install" when i called in the other day to have the third one activated.

Right now I have it working and the two of you can go jump off a bridge!

Happy Thanksgiving!

J3ff,

They were being ass-holes, I agree. But they make a living doing that stuff and resent folks who think it is nothing to do that work.

And I have to say I just made some very bad wise-ass remarks in another post an hour or so ago so I ought not cast much of a stone.

They probably also saw that you had been around here for quite some time so they thought you ought to have perhaps searched the forums for others who have tried what you did.

I don't much agree with that but I sure understand how frustrating answering the same question twenty times can be. However if they feel that way I believe they should just skip posting a grouchy remark and let a newer member handle it.

Last edited:
First off let me say it wont work correctly with a splitter though you seem to think it does. 2nd, while I will say that the answers to your previous questions were somewhat someass you dont seem to want to listen either. 3rd, if you really have 2 seperate cables going into your 622 and one going to your other receiver in room A that means you must either have a DP34 or a quad LNB. If so all you need to do is run a new RG6 coxial line to the switch or lnb, run checkswitch and your done. It doesnt matter what TP you run a checkswitch on by the way. Some are better than others for peaking but it will not change the checkswitch results.

First off let me say it wont work correctly with a splitter though you seem to think it does. 2nd, while I will say that the answers to your previous questions were somewhat someass you dont seem to want to listen either. 3rd, if you really have 2 seperate cables going into your 622 and one going to your other receiver in room A that means you must either have a DP34 or a quad LNB. If so all you need to do is run a new RG6 coxial line to the switch or lnb, run checkswitch and your done. It doesnt matter what TP you run a checkswitch on by the way. Some are better than others for peaking but it will not change the checkswitch results.

Good post.... This DUDE came for help, and all the other guys do is to critisize him. Don't scare him away........

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts