Scripps affiliates now broadcasting local news in widescreen only

CK SatGuy

Formerly ckhalil18
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
The Motor City
I noticed earlier this week that my ABC affiliate, WXYZ, now has a new graphics package that uses the whole 16:9 widescreen ratio. After looking into it, it looks like all the Scripps affiliates are using that same package now. Kind of cool for HD viewers like myself. But for people who still have SD, they now have to watch in letterbox to see the whole headline on the screen. Those viewers will more then likely just switch to another station to watch the news.

It's a really nice graphics package, but it's lost on anyone viewing in SD.

Same with KWGN/Denver. Nice in widescreen, but you miss a lot in SD. That is why I would like to have Superstations in HD.

Lots of markets have been widescreen for a while. 3 of the 4 "big 4 nets" in Duluth are widescreen

ABC here in Minneapolis is widescreen for the news

They've been using that package here in Tulsa for a while. Our Scripps NBC affiliate was one of the first to go all HD for them and in Oklahoma. Scripps has been making a push to cut costs and get all their stations using the same packages/equipment and such. They are cutting back on their syndicated programming purchases too. They have 2 new shows they've launched that are made in house.

Lots of markets have been widescreen for a while. 3 of the 4 "big 4 nets" in Duluth are widescreen

ABC here in Minneapolis is widescreen for the news
WXYZ is the 1st major station to do this in Detroit which was why I thought it was intriguing. WMYD MY 20 was actually 1st to do this last year, but nobody watches it. It makes me wonder if the other 2 major stations, WDIV (NBC) and WJBK (FOX) will follow suit in the near future. The CBS station, WWJ, only does local news in the mornings and a weather update at 11 PM and nobody really watches that either.

Same for the big 4 here in Lubbock.

KCBD NBC 11.1 is the only station with an HD studio and doing local programming in 16:9 HD.

KCBD CBS 13.1 and KAMC ABC 28.1 both began broadcasting their news in 16:9 SD about 6 months ago.

Only KJTV FOX 34.1 is still 3:4 SD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts