SD gone in 2018?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It's a possibility for 2019, but they have to get core hd channels on 101 for that to happen. There are too many rvers and customers with no access to 99 and 103.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
i dont really think directv cares about rvers .

since you cant have any other receiver with the new genies, they have basically abandoned them

there's too much uninformed speculation about this. No-one knows which channels will be on which satellites, and what that means in terms of dishes.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
There are customers other than rvers that have no access to 99 and 103.
What about the airlines that offer DIRECTV in flight that use Ku and 101? Maybe they're just going to shut that down since some airlines are dumping IFE units and just offering WiFi streaming to customers devices?

What about the airlines that offer DIRECTV in flight that use Ku and 101? Maybe they're just going to shut that down since some airlines are dumping IFE units and just offering WiFi streaming to customers devices?
That would be my guess too, that they shut it down on the aircrafts.

Here is the deal. They can make as many dates as they want.

Until they can get rid of every standard definition receiver, the shut down can’t happen.

So this is accomplished 3 ways

1) don’t allow SD equipment to be activated on new or existing accounts which they are doing now. There are some exceptions being made on existing accounts.

2) churn. As SD customers disconnect they cannot come back end activate SD equipment.

3) upgrades for existing subs

Eventually the number of SD subs is so small Directv will go out and upgrade the remaining ones for free.

Very few people get shut down at the end after many phone calls and letters.

Here is the deal. They can make as many dates as they want.

Until they can get rid of every standard definition receiver, the shut down can’t happen.

So this is accomplished 3 ways

1) don’t allow SD equipment to be activated on new or existing accounts which they are doing now. There are some exceptions being made on existing accounts.

2) churn. As SD customers disconnect they cannot come back end activate SD equipment.

3) upgrades for existing subs

Eventually the number of SD subs is so small Directv will go out and upgrade the remaining ones for free.

Very few people get shut down at the end after many phone calls and letters.
Are they not doing #1 and #2 already ?

Hasn't some speculated that they would still keep they SD duplicates but have them in MPEG 4 for bad weather backup since HD stays out longer in bad weather?

Hasn't some speculated that they would still keep they SD duplicates but have them in MPEG 4 for bad weather backup since HD stays out longer in bad weather?
I haven't heard that .... that would be defeating the purpose, the idea is to go HD only to free up bandwidth for more HD/4k.

I haven't heard that .... that would be defeating the purpose, the idea is to go HD only to free up bandwidth for more HD/4k.
Don't get me wrong I think it would be cool going all HD maybe that would improve the PQ more but isn't HD more susceptible to rain fade?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts