SD/HD Switching---Need Help

David13

Original poster
Jan 4, 2005
My 811 displays two ovals on screen. SD and HD. I have the input connected via component and I watch both SD and HD thru the same input. Until recently when I was watching a HD program the HD oval would be highlighted. And if I switched to a SD program, the highlight would automatically switch to SD Normal and display the program in full screen mode on my 4x3 Toshiba.
Now, the highlight does not automatically switch and when I cycle thru the HD/SD options using the page up and down, SD Normal option does not display in full screen. Displays with gray bars. I have to cycle thru the SD/HD options and use HD Stretch to get it to go to full screen.

Have I goofed something up to lose the automatic switch capability???
Plus, do not like having to us HD stretch.

thanks

David

Those 'boxes' on the screen are:
HD = HD output connection -component or DVI connection to TV.
SD = SD output connection - S-video or composite connection to TV.

Kevin

My Toshiba allows for two types of satellite input. One input is conncted to the 811 via a component connection and the other input is connected via S-Video.

The problem is (I think) it used to automatically switch from HD to SD and display in full screen mode. I could see the box change from HD Normal being highlighted to SD Normal being highlighted.

It no longer does this. And to view in a nice full screen mode I have to now manually change my input from the compnent input to the S-Video input.

I thought the 811 was doing the switching automatically.

And now it no longer does this.

Seemed like it worked Ok with the software I had before 2.82. When 2.82 appeared it seemd to quit switching automatically. Now I have 2.84.

Maybe I'm crazy and it never did automatically switch. But, I am having to do the swich manually and I never had to do that before.

thanks

David

Some how I suspect (I could be wrong tho) that you were in some way changing inputs on your TV. OR the 811 comes set to 480p as the factory setting and maybe you changed it to 1080i(720p) whichever your TV accepts for HD. (maybe a download could have changed that) You could try changing to 480p just to try once if you wanted. That is not HD tho, its ED.

WeeJavaDude said:
Have you tried setting your display options to the other 4x3 choice? Might be worth a try.

What is that other 4x3 choice. I've seen it, but I don't know why its there. The 811 manual does not explain it.

The two 4x3 choices are:
first choice is for 4x3 tv/monitors that do NOT sqeeze the HD signal in to letterbox.
the second choice is for those that do sqeeze the HD signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts