SD programming

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

andy_horton

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
Northwest Georgia
Don't get me wrong, my wife and I love Dish, but we have had some problems with HD programming due to an older home. Some channels will freeze up for a second or 2 sometimes. We have had several techs out to look at it and it was discovered to be an electrical prob as well as running anything with a motor near the receiver. Had receiver replaced, as well, before we knew the prob. We have since grounded the outlets and hooked up a UPS. Seems to work better on some HD channels that were giving us problems. We have a 32 inch HD tv. Some of the SD channels seem to look better than others. Why? Is it just me? We really don't mind watching channels in SD and even have the Platinum pack as we like those channels, and those HD channels aren't affected. We watch almost all our programs in SD anyway but just curious. Thanks for answering! :popcorn

Dish does vary the quality on the SD channels. The more popular channels tend to be better taken care of. This is why so many clamor for all the channels to be in HD since they have much more consistent quality. Perhaps you qualify for the free HD for life program and the channels you watch could be in HD.

Dish does vary the quality on the SD channels. The more popular channels tend to be better taken care of. This is why so many clamor for all the channels to be in HD since they have much more consistent quality. Perhaps you qualify for the free HD for life program and the channels you watch could be in HD.
Yes, I qualify for the HD for life. For whatever reason, we just seem to always end up on the SD feed. Thanks for confirming what I have thought that some SD channels look better than others. Thought maybe my glasses were too weak!!;)

My big question is, with an HDTV, why on earth would you watch the SD version, unless it's a channel not available in HD?

well i watch chiller alot and it doesn't look as good as other sd channels
When we had the top 250, Chiller really didn't look as good as some of the other sd channels.
KAB-The main reason we watch the sd feed is so we don't have problems with the picture freezing up on some of the hd channels. Dish has been out like 5-6 times and said it was an electrical problem. The guy said "It's your fault." So we did everything short of rebuilding the house with new wiring. Had one tech come out, disconnect my HD locals, didn't hook them back up, and left. When I called my local dealer they told me that he wouldn't come back out because it was an electrical problem. I called and raised you know what with Dish itself and the next day a supervisor came out said that the guy didn't hook up the HD locals before he left the day before. So I have resigned myself to watching sd. Not what I want but it's the only way to not have any problems with the picture freezing up and such.

Well, I did add that UPS which picks up if the power drops (which happens quite frequently here.) And it has helped quite considerably. When we had Dtv this didn't happen but I really like Dish so I will live with it for now.

Yes, I qualify for the HD for life. For whatever reason, we just seem to always end up on the SD feed. Thanks for confirming what I have thought that some SD channels look better than others. Thought maybe my glasses were too weak!!;)

I enabled locks on my receiver then locked out all the SD channels that had an HD counterpart. Then piked hide locked channels in the guide option. That way I never have the SD channels and they are not accidently recorded either. On my 922 there is an option to hide SD if there is an HD channel without having to do the lockes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)