SD receiver upgrade

Status
Please reply by conversation.

edbucs

Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
Good Day, currently I have a HR20 and a H20 HD receivers. I also have an old Hughes SD-HBH receiver that I want to replace with a H20/H21. I called DTV to request a new receiver and the CSR stated that it would cost me $99. It has been 7 months since I added the last HD receiver and I was under the impression that I could possibly get a new H20 to replace the Hughes SD receiver at no cost.
Is this the standard price for a H20/H21 ? I thought that I had read somewhere on this site that free or nearly free was possible.

Thanks for any info you can provide, edbucs

Doubt it will be free,$99 is what they told you ,Then thats what its going to be. New customers can get free equipment. Existing customers not unless theres some type of promotion. Like if you had all Mpeg2 equipment and wanted an H20, They might give you one free then.

I would call again and see what they tell you the next time. Once they tell you that it will be $99 just tell them that is not good enough. I just added three SD receivers to my account and they initial quoted me approximately @210 for the three receivers. I just stated that it was not good enough and they promptly dropped the price and gave them to me for a $19.99 shipping fee. There are always deals to be made if you get the right person on the phone.

Doubt it will be free,$99 is what they told you ,Then thats what its going to be. New customers can get free equipment. Existing customers not unless theres some type of promotion. Like if you had all Mpeg2 equipment and wanted an H20, They might give you one free then.
Not totally true. D* has a history of negotiating with customers on the cost of the receivers. Point being first offer may not be what you pay, although you may have to call a couple of times.

I would tell them that $99 is not acceptable and you want to speak with someone that can fix it for you.

For an H series I wouldnt be suprised at all that it would be free and would be hesitant to pay for it (not because it is bad, it isnt, just because I have had great success getting the HR series for nothing)

We couldn't get them lower than $99, but we also got a new 5 LNB, 6 months free all movie channels and 6 months free on HD Plus Pack (though strangely it only gave us 2 new channels as we already had some grandfathered in).

So, all in all I am happy. You may just need to call a few times.

Not totally true. D* has a history of negotiating with customers on the cost of the receivers. Point being first offer may not be what you pay, although you may have to call a couple of times.

I would tell them that $99 is not acceptable and you want to speak with someone that can fix it for you.

For an H series I wouldnt be suprised at all that it would be free and would be hesitant to pay for it (not because it is bad, it isnt, just because I have had great success getting the HR series for nothing)
I never got a Free one. 3 payments of $50 on my first HR-20 was the best deal I ever got on equipment. Paid $199 for my second one. $199 for my H20,That got toasted and then it cost me another $199 for a refurbished one,to avoid adding time to my commitment. But then my daughters samsung went ,and the sent me a D10,for $19.95 but tacked another year on my commitment anyway. As one poster said, programming credits is all I've ever seen as well. and a 24 month commitment.

I never got a Free one. 3 payments of $50 on my first HR-20 was the best deal I ever got on equipment. Paid $199 for my second one. $199 for my H20,That got toasted and then it cost me another $199 for a refurbished one,to avoid adding time to my commitment. But then my daughters samsung went ,and the sent me a D10,for $19.95 but tacked another year on my commitment anyway. As one poster said, programming credits is all I've ever seen as well. and a 24 month commitment.
I guess I have just been lucky with the CSRs that I have spoken with. Generally it took me 30 minutes or so of actually talking to them, but my first one was free and my second was shipping only.

I guess I have just been lucky with the CSRs that I have spoken with. Generally it took me 30 minutes or so of actually talking to them, but my first one was free and my second was shipping only.

Same here as I have rarely had to pay for any of my equipment and when I have it was off set by many programming credits that totaled more than what the equipment costs.

Thanks for all of your input. I appreciated it and I should be better prepared when I call DTV again. edbucs

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)