SD resolution vs. HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tylerwebb17

Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
I can't seem to get the picture to work out like I think it should. On the receiver (622) I've set it to 720p (don't know if 1080i is better, can't tell the difference) and 16x9 aspect ratio. My problem with this is when I go to standard def. tv I want it to be 4x3 aspect ratio so it doesn't stretch my standard definition programming out.

Is there anything I can do on the receiver to change this? I notice that if I push right on the remote controller (the right scroll button) that on HD programs a little window pops up under the now playing section that says "normal" but when in SD if I do this instead of "normal" it says "stretch". What do I need to do to change this?

Hit the format button to change the various aspects of the picture. The format button is located under the number 7 on the remote control and looks like this * . I find that Partial zoom give me a good picture for sd programming and the normal mode is best for 16 x 9 hd shows.

Alternatively, you could also hook up the s-video connection to your TV and then when you switch to that input, you would have your TV's various zoom and stretch modes.

Many people do like the partial zoom mode, although it does stretch the image a bit out of proportion along the horizontal axis. The Zoom mode preserves the original 4:3 aspect ratio, but cuts off a fair amount of the top and bottom of the image. The partial zoom isn't too bad. But if you are watching some one with a good body and then switch back to 4:3 with bars, you'll notice that they will be a little more slim & trim on the 4:3 image.

If you have a TV that doesn't have burn-in, then you can switch it to 4:3 with black bars or with gray bars. This is what I would do with all 4:3 if I had such a TV. Unfortunately my CRT RP is subject to burn-in, so I only watch occasional shows in native 4:3 (with gray bars).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)