SD user looking to upgrade to HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

frny

Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
I currently have a couple of SD TIVO DVRs and a 3 LNB dish. I am looking to switch one of them to HD (primarily for the NFL ST - I have been watching it in SD for 3 years). I am trying to figure out what my options are and what makes sense.

1- Are all NFL ST games available in HD?
2- if I get a HR10, will DTV switch it to an HR20 for free?
3- Can I order the HR10 without having to install the 5LNB dish (an installer told me that DTV would not allow a new HD customer without installing the 5LNB dish).
4- Do you need to have an OTA antenna for the locals? - I live in the NY area.
5- Are there multiple type of 5LNB dish out-there? (I saw a while ago on a forum that there were 2 kinds of 5LNBs: the original and then a second smaller version.)
6- are the locals in MPG2 or 4 in NY?
7- When will directv use MPG4 for non-local? (i.e. when will the HR10 have to be replaced?)

Thanks for the help. I am trying to understand the whole thing before I pull the credit card out ;)

1-NO
2-Well they have said they will but I had a tech tell me they are lying so I am not sure
3-You are correct they will force you to get the 5 LNB dish
4-Dunno but I think you will
5-I havn't heard of another you may want to ask the sales person
6-I think that if they have them already available they are most likely mpeg2
7- You may want to pray about that one because that is the only way your going to get an answer to that question!

If my answers seem foggy and non specific it is because that is how D* does business.

I answered these neverending questions to the best of my ability. If I am wrong than someone will certainly correct me.

Last edited:
ryanm86,
thanks for the help - it gave me a starting point to call DTV. I hanged up on the first CSR because he was just trying to sell me everything without paying attention to my questions. The second CSR was very nice but very uninformed.

1- I was really surprised and disapointed to learn about this - the upgrade will cost me $400 for an hd dvr + $uperfan + $9.9/month + 2 years contract. That is a lot to ask for when you don't deliver 100% of the games in HD
2- the CSR told me that as far as she could tell the CA folks were getting the upgrade for free (I assume you have to lease and not own the receiver).
3- Looks like I could but the CSR was not sure
4- looks like no
5- the slimline is not in their computer system yet
6- the CSR was not sure

The CSR told me that even though it is a lease there is no monthly fee for the harware (just $9.9 to get the HD programming), is this correct?

The bottom line is that I will probably have to make the jump first and then decide if it is worth to keep it. The 2 years contract is really the show stopper at this time. Such a lenghty contract is usually an indication that your service is not good enough by itself to keep your customers. But with the NFLST they got us by the [foot]balls ;)

ryanm86 said:
3-You are correct they will force you to get the 5 LNB dish

If my answers seem foggy and non specific it is because that is how D* does business.

I answered these neverending questions to the best of my ability. If I am wrong than someone will certainly correct me.

That's not true, but you where close enough.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)