SD versus HD

Tobar

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
Sacramento, CA
Just recently when go to watch my local channel and some cable channels, the TV switches from HD to SD "signal loss on HD channel, tuning to SD equivalent." I go to my point dish and it is on satellite 110 with a 44 signal. I switch to 119 and I get a 66 signal. But it won't stay on the 119 satellite. It stays on 119 in the morning, but switches to afternoon. what is going on? It is driving the wife crazy, because it won't record her shows like she wants. And the shows are in SD not HD like they should be. How can I get it to stay on the 119 satellite. That is where it is aimed, I checked. We have 622 and 722 units.

Do you a tree that have maybe "growing" in the way this spring? 129 is lower to the horizon than 110 and 119.

Thanks for quick response. No trees in way. satellite 119 is 65, 110 is 41, and 129 is 45. Channels keep switching from HD to SD on 110 and 129 and I can't lock in 129.

No expert, but could be a bad LNB . I would definitely call Tech support. You'll probably need a tech visit, so I suggest getting the protection plan if you don't already have it.

Ok, I crawled up to the dish and moved it just a smidgeon. The signal on 110 went up to 65. But it is still iffy. But 119 and 129 are somewhat less. will call tech. thanks

Ok, I crawled up to the dish and moved it just a smidgeon. The signal on 110 went up to 65. But it is still iffy. But 119 and 129 are somewhat less. will call tech. thanks

Best idea imo.129 is where the majority of the HD channels are.Dish could need adjustment,the tech will know.

Having 119 stronger than 110, to me, implies the elevation needs a slight adjustment (lower, I think) to raise the 110 signal.
Monitor the 129 signal, which will not be as strong as the 110 but can be improved by a slight skew adjustment.
Having adjusted the skew you will have to make an even smaller elevation adjustment to balance all. Repeat.
Again expect 129 to be lower, say 45 to say 60 for 110 and 119. All above 45 is a good alignment.
You could get by with readings in the 30's if you never had clouds or rain, but the higher the better.

-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)