SDV coming soon?

Saxamoophone

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 4, 2006
So any word on the streets about how much longer until the SDV is up and running for those nice new HD channels? I'm guessing we shouldn't expect any new HD channels until then here in Orlando, right?

I hope they add CSTV/CBS College Sports HD, and Sci-fi HD soon....gotta have my sports and nerd shows in 1080i glory ;)

right now, there is no hd programming on what use to be cstv hd. we've had it on directv since the end of 2007 and i'm not aware of the first hd program yet.

right now, there is no hd programming on what use to be cstv hd. we've had it on directv since the end of 2007 and i'm not aware of the first hd program yet.

Hmmmm.... that's a little weird...because CSTV use to air some of it's sporting events over on INHD/Mojo or HDnet (one of those) a few years ago.....

Either way, I'm sure they will probably roll out a new HD-studio and HD-field-units by College Football season! Especially if ESPN-U is going HD by September 08 too.

SDV is expected to launched around Sept. BHN has to first launch to new guide services. But its coming before years end, and expect more reclaimed analog channels as well.

SDV is expected to launched around Sept. BHN has to first launch to new guide services. But its coming before years end, and expect more reclaimed analog channels as well.

Since we are getting the new guide here in Tampa in May, does that mean we'll get SDV sooner in Tampa too?

Thanks for the update!

I'm sure a few less (crappy) analog channels is quite ok with me....although I do feel kinda sorry for the Customer Support people that will no doubt get yelled at by some people =p

Sounds like by September the Tru2Way cards should be out in the wild with new hardware (including at least one tivo-like set top box I hear)...so if the DVR Software Package isn't a little less crash-prone by then, we should also have other options.

Is it safe to assume we won't be getting any new HD channels until the SDV switch now?

Also alot of the channels that the "cablecard" users now get that BHN just added will be removed as well.. BHN did not want to give them to the CC users because they knew they would be reclaimed but as you saw from the story posted here earlier they did. But they will be reclaimed before years end.

THe new OCRAP software got a update just a week ago.. Runs much better, but still not "there" yet..

I wonder if the B-House is looking into the "Digital Dongle Project" like Comcast.

Cable Digital News - Video - Comcast Confirms Digital Dongle Project - Telecom News Analysis

Let's you drop every single Analog channel without too much cost ($35 per unit).

You figure that + SDV = Lots of Happy HD-Customers ;)

I wonder if the B-House is looking into the "Digital Dongle Project" like Comcast.

Cable Digital News - Video - Comcast Confirms Digital Dongle Project - Telecom News Analysis

Let's you drop every single Analog channel without too much cost ($35 per unit).

You figure that + SDV = Lots of Happy HD-Customers ;)

I'll believe it when I see it. I just switched to the DirecTV with premiere pack... all the movie channels and sports. I am already loving all the extra high def channels. I love that the SD and HD versions of the channels are together in the guide and that you can hide those crummy SD channels that are duplicated with HD.

I turned in two of my boxes with BHN and dropped all movie channels and paks. It is ridiculous. It is about $70 a month with BHN for one HD DVR, HD DVR service, digital service, and SD service. I didn't want to get rid of them completely. We'll see how far they come along between now and the end of my contract with DirecTV. But from what I have seen so far, they have a LONG ways to go.

I enjoy having two providers, and had both BHN and Dish for a while. At that time I balanced the premiums between providers but since DirecTV has multichannels of each in HD that BHN doesn't have, I gave DirecTV my entire premium business. The wife and visiting mother in law will still watch the BHN. Wife is satisfied with Next Top Model and the other network fare while mother in law prefers Obama News Network (MSNBC) and Lifetime. BHN is fine for them. As for me, for the next several months at least I can see myself monitoring the situation with BHN and their channel lineup, probably shaking my head each time I switch to video 7 (HDMI) and see if they have added anything new yet.

The one thing I miss in my livingroom/office now (BHN DVR I kept is in the bedroom) is the clock on the front of the cable box. It was always a mixed blessing. During work hours it was nice to monitor the time but during evening relaxation and movies it was always a distraction. I still find myself looking over at where the clock was only two days ago, and then thinking "oh year." Old habits die hard I guess. But I ain't complaining.

Happy so far with DirecTV!

Glad you're liking it. I've been tempted for awhile to make the switch, but I don't want to drop RoadRunner & the Phone. I figure I'll give Brighthouse until the end of the year to see some improvements ( or at least until the start of football season =p ).

I just hate with DirecTV how you have to spend $100-300 for all their DVRs and then you STILL don't own them, and they STILL charge you a monthly fee for them....that after forking over hundreds of dollars. How fair is that?

At least with Brighthouse, I *might* have the option in the future with Tru2Way to bypass all the stupid cable/sat boxes and network together my own stuff. I'm thinking a 1TB Server with 4 HD Tuners, w/ extenders on all 3 of my HD TVs, and slingbox for off-site use.

I just hate with DirecTV how you have to spend $100-300 for all their DVRs and then you STILL don't own them, and they STILL charge you a monthly fee for them....that after forking over hundreds of dollars. How fair is that?

I hated shelling out $300 for two HD-DVRs too. That is what held me back from doing it for so long. I believe the breakdown is $100 for the first and $200 for each additional up to six. I got sick of waiting around for more HD and bit the bullet.

I still use RR on a VO account and by the looks of it, it will be a while before we get Verizon FIOS in St. Pete. They are saying Clearwater by the end of 2009 according to another thread and that is north of St. Pete. They are working their way south.

Pinellas has it...

actually FIOS is already in certain parts of Largo, Seminole, Northern Pinellas, South St. Petersburg(Downtown Area/Old Northeast areas). They are laying fiber right now for residential services to condo towers, it is already here in a lot of pockets of Pinellas it seems. 33701 which is the downtown area and surrounding neighborhoods is one of them....the people on the phone, salesman, those moving truck ads around south St. Petersburg. I wonder if they are going to work south and north and then meet in the middle, it seems anyway. The demographics in the center of the county are probably less appealing as according to cable companies that they want to do middle class and lower last...data isn't even needed, look at all the outside tv antennas around the Clearwater area. Most of it is middle class, something Verizon doesn't seem to have a priority for right now. As for Pasco, Southeast Hillsborough, most of that was new construction opportunity...the others like South Tampa, Tampa, New Tampa, Manatee and south is obviously targeted towards upper-middle like cable companies claim.

Last edited:
actually FIOS is already in certain parts of Largo, Seminole, Northern Pinellas, South St. Petersburg(Downtown Area/Old Northeast areas). They are laying fiber right now for residential services to condo towers, it is already here in a lot of pockets of Pinellas it seems. 33701 which is the downtown area and surrounding neighborhoods is one of them....the people on the phone, salesman, those moving truck ads around south St. Petersburg. I wonder if they are going to work south and north and then meet in the middle, it seems anyway. The demographics in the center of the county are probably less appealing as according to cable companies that they want to do middle class and lower last...data isn't even needed, look at all the outside tv antennas around the Clearwater area. Most of it is middle class, something Verizon doesn't seem to have a priority for right now. As for Pasco, Southeast Hillsborough, most of that was new construction opportunity...the others like South Tampa, Tampa, New Tampa, Manatee and south is obviously targeted towards upper-middle like cable companies claim.

I don't mean to be rude but you are totally wrong on so many levels.

First of all, if they are servicing downtown St. Pete with Verizon FIOS in any address, even the Parkshore Tower or other new condo projects, that is a good sign, but I have seen no signs of this. They are working their way down from Clearwater. Their current ads for our area, are bundles of Verizon phone over copper, DSL for broadband, and DirecTV for television. No FIOS TV down here yet. But I am not going to argue that point. Let's assume you are right and part of downtown is covered.

My real problem with your discussion is your demographics. While it is obvious, they would want to do wealthier neighborhoods and new construction first, you are wrong about why they are doing where or not doing somewhere else. The myth by outsiders of St. Petersburg is that it is scummy and low class. Like any city, there are bad areas. The south side had riots in 1996, second only to LA earlier that decade. They had a corrupt police chief for a while that made things worse. Having that said, the low to lower middle class areas you speak of are in every city. In St. Pete they are mainly in the "midtown" area of the south side. Believe me. I know first hand the wealth in this city. There are a lot of very wealthy areas in St. Petersburg and I know them all. This misconception needs to be put to bed. St. Pete is not all scummy and cheap. I service residential customers (and businesses) in this city and there are plenty of people that would go for Verizon FIOS.

Manatee= upper middle class? Have you ever been to Manatee County? Head south from St. Pete over the Skyway. You'll find some nice homes on the north end of the county, to the east and west (beaches), but you will find some real low class stuff outweighing all that when you enter Palmetto and Bradenton. Look at the migrant worker housing just before you cross the bridge into Bradenton. I'll bet they were the first to jump onto FIOS.

The real reason Verizon spread the way it did dates back to their master plan which was designed before the state changed the cable franchise laws. It used to be that a provider had to come up with an agreement with each municipality they went into. Early on they fought with Tampa and were welcomed by Temple Terrace. Can you imagine them starting out in Pinellas County, which has like 26 municipalities? (Hillsborough only has three- Tampa, Temple Terrace, Plant City) That would be a nightmare fighting with all those cities. Now the law has changed and they have their franchise agreement with the state. So they can roll right into Pinellas as fast as they can build it out. It was however, already mapped out years ago that they would work their way down from north to south Pinellas County. I don't believe they are servicing anything downtown and working their way up to the teams working their way down in Clearwater.

Edit- I forgot to mention that in Pasco, my mother lives in a non-new construction neighborhood and she has had the service for well over a year. My sister in-law (god bless her) lived in a very low class neighborhood and they had the service from Jan of this year until they broke up and abandoned their house (and their contract). My father-in-law in Pasco is able to get the service and he is out in the stix. So Pasco was not built out based soley on new construction. It was just part of their expansion plan. Not only that, one thing I forgot to mention too is that Pinellas already has two providers (BHN and Knology). Knology was actually Verizon Americast and they sold it off some years ago. So they will be the third cable provider in St. Pete. That may play into their expansion plans too. One last thing... keep in mind that Pinellas County is the most densely populated county in the state of Florida, meaning there are more people per square mile than Miami-Dade or anywhere else.

Last edited:
Verizon has the luxury given by the state of florida to pick and choose where they put their service. Unlike the uncumbant cable operators who are FORCED to put their service everywhere, and unlike Verizons former Telephone plant which is required to be everywhere as well.

I live in downtown...I see the construction outside of my place with all the sidewalks marked in orange marked VZ being dug up...great example is the multiple residential projects on 4th ave s where they are doing this as we speak, and most of the condo associations including here have been contacted by Verizon...When I was speaking of demographics, I was referring to the South Clearwater/Pinellas Park area ending up last....St. Petersburg is a large city for the sunbelt and of course it has pockets that are not desirable for a company like Verizon right away, the other areas in the city that consist of middle/middle-upper/$$$ class balance the cities demos out....manatee does have a higher per capita income than Pinellas, and Pasco as a whole was under construction making FIOS easier to deploy in a less dense/construction mess. Why do I have a channel guide with city and county channels on it in DT burg for this place and ads IN DOWNTOWN THAT ADVERTISE FIOS BROADBAND AND TV. Now who gets Verizon FIOS VDSL INTERNET/TV that live in a MDU is a different story

Last edited:
I live in downtown...I see the construction outside of my place with all the sidewalks marked in orange marked VZ being dug up...great example is the multiple residential projects on 4th ave s where they are doing this as we speak, and most of the condo associations including here have been contacted by Verizon...When I was speaking of demographics, I was referring to the South Clearwater/Pinellas Park area ending up last....St. Petersburg is a large city for the sunbelt and of course it has pockets that are not desirable for a company like Verizon right away, the other areas in the city that consist of middle/middle-upper/$$$ class balance the cities demos out....manatee does have a higher per capita income than Pinellas, and Pasco as a whole was under construction making FIOS easier to deploy in a less dense/construction mess. Why do I have a channel guide with city and county channels on it in DT burg for this place and ads IN DOWNTOWN THAT ADVERTISE FIOS BROADBAND AND TV. Now who gets Verizon FIOS VDSL INTERNET/TV that live in a MDU is a different story

No lie - I just hired a contractor for part time work with my computer business and his full time day job is at Verizon. He does sales (including FIOS). I am looking his resume over right now and there it is, Verizon FIOS sales... not to mention we had a conversation about it. I specifically asked him about FIOS in St. Pete and he said it is not here yet. He confirmed what I already knew.

I don't know what ads you are seeing but FIOS TV and Internet are not available in St. Petersburg yet. Go to their website and put in a fake address to check availability of those new condos and see. Yes, I know they make deals with entire buildings (like BHN does - which is losey to have no choice if you live in the building or entire community that has struck a deal). But if you are so sure that Verizon FIOS is available ANYWHERE in the St. Pete city limits, I would like to hear about it. It is plain and simple, NOT HERE YET.

Good evening!

I live in downtown...I see the construction outside of my place with all the sidewalks marked in orange marked VZ being dug up...great example is the multiple residential projects on 4th ave s where they are doing this as we speak, /quote]

on an off topic note-

Where do you live? Madison, Beacon on Third? I used to live in the Carlton Towers before they sold as condos and became Beacon on Third. 8th floor corner view of the city skyline, pier, and waterfront. Crappy building but a great place to live to be in the middle of things. Biggest downside was the constant middle of the night Bayfront helicopter flights 30 or 40 feet above my building on their way to Bayfront.