Seagate 500 GB HDD for Recording on Openbox S10

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gsatnewb

Original poster
Jul 11, 2011
SW Ontario
My local Staples has the 500 GB FreeAgent GoFlex portable hard drive on sale for 39 bucks this weekend. It is USB 2.0 Does anyone have any experience with this drive hooked up to their S10, or S9 for that matter? Is USB 2.0 fast enough? I know there have been issues with certain HDD's not working well with the Openbox STBs, so I want to make sure I'm not wasting my 39 bucks. Thanks everybody.:)

If it's USB powered or http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-shack/263191-western-digital-usb-hdd-openbox-s9.html find something else. I know my FreeAgent 360Gb will not work, as it's USB powered. Guess that should cover it. This may not be all inclusive. If that drive is actually an SSD(solid state drive) the Openbox may, and I stress, MAY, be able to power it. External power, without any B.S. software bundle(especially of the auto run variety), and you should, and I will stress, SHOULD, be good. (yeah, I.m still P.O.'d, been pretty successful in stripping down winXp to where it works, with me in control, and not M$, but no success in getting the 1Tb WD drive to play fair with the Openbox) i'll just stop here before I go off on a tangent.

Well I bought it. Its the 500 GB Seagate USB 2.0 powered HDD I mentioned. Plugged it in.....and......it works like a champ. Seems to work much better than the old 1GB USB sticks I was trying to use. If anyone else is looking for a HDD, this one does seem to work with the Openbox S10.

Over the years, I've used a number of USB-powered drives.
They were all based on 2½ inch laptop drives, which run on 5 volts and use very little current.
Mine run fine on all my computers, Philips DVD player, Visionsat IV-200 FTA receiver, and Western Digital TV Live Plus media player.

Funny thing is, though... a buddy has one of the drives from my collection, and can't get it to run on his laptop without external power.
So, there is no guarantee.

Glad everything worked out so well for ya.
Wish I'd read this thread sooner - I might have gotten one, too. :)
Really hate having to find another AC outlet for the power supply, and remember to take it when I move the drive to my computer to extract the shows.

I ended up getting a WD 500gb drive that has its own power for same price. More flexibility IMO

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)