Seagate Hard drive not seen by Hopper3

shorte2326

Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
N/W Pa
I bought a new Seagate 6TB desktop external hard drive. My Hopper 3 will not see it. Tried every port and rebooted. It works fine with my laptop.

I bought a new Seagate 6TB desktop external hard drive. My Hopper 3 will not see it. Tried every port and rebooted. It works fine with my laptop.
Well that sucks. I have a 6TB Seagate as well and it works quite nicely with my H3.

I thought of one thing... Do you have another EHD connected? I have a 1.5TB WD drive that I had dating back to my 722 days... When I plug that in and reboot, it takes over and the Seagate vanishes (even though it's there).

Humm, this is the second time that I've read that Hopper's are having problems recognizing some Seagate's. In the first one, it was the one that had a daisy chained USB port and didn't work with a second EHD attached. Me thinks maybe a firmware issue with the Seagate controllers?

Well that sucks. I have a 6TB Seagate as well and it works quite nicely with my H3.

I thought of one thing... Do you have another EHD connected? I have a 1.5TB WD drive that I had dating back to my 722 days... When I plug that in and reboot, it takes over and the Seagate vanishes (even though it's there).
No i don't have anything else plugged in. I can tell the disk is spinning up but no recognition by the Hopper.

No i don't have anything else plugged in. I can tell the disk is spinning up but no recognition by the Hopper.
This behavior is nuts! What model Seagate do you have? Mine is a Backup Plus Hub.

bup-desk-usb-left-570x570.jpg

Last edited:
I think that's the one that had the problems with TheKrell

I think the hub part is not compatible. You need to get a non-powered hub (just search the board for 8TB 2 drives and you and see my setup complete with all the Amazon part numbers and pictures of how I have it set.

You may just want to relagate the current 6TB (unless you can return it) to something else and just get a 6TB WD MyBook or a raw 6TB drive with the Orinco enclosure that I put mine in.

Reactions: joewhite57
I got a Seagate Desktop 8TB External Hard Drive HDD – USB 3.0 For PC Laptop. I'm wondering if the USB3 is the issue but everything I have read says it is backward compatible with USB2

I think that's the one that had the problems with @TheKrell
It is indeed, but my problem wasn't with the Seagate itself. It only has a problem when I add my 1.5TB WD to the mix and then that smaller disk takes over. Since I don't really need that 1.5TB, this is not an issue. Both the Seagate (by itself) and the hub work reliably and have for months. I have my OTA adapter plugged into the front of the Seagate. Rock solid.
I got a Seagate Desktop 8TB External Hard Drive HDD – USB 3.0 For PC Laptop. I'm wondering if the USB3 is the issue but everything I have read says it is backward compatible with USB2
Ah... 8TB is over the 7TB limit. Do you mean 6TB? USB3 is not the issue. My Seagate w/hub works fine in any H3 port, but I have it plugged into the USB3 jack. All USB2 devices I have tried in the front also work.

Sorry yes it is 6TB I tried the USB3 and also the 2 other USB2 ports. Nothing. When the dish reboots I can hear and see the the led change.

If you bought the Seagate expressly for the purpose of Dish EHD use, you can try “Cleaning” the partitions and Master Boot Record from the drive. WARNING: THIS WILL ERASE EVERYTHING OFF OF THE EHD AND IT WILL BE GONE!!!

If you have Windows 7, 8, or 10, you can fire up an Administrative Command or Powershell window, then type DISKPART. At the DISKPART prompt, type “List Disk” to get a list of connected disks. The system boot device should be Disk 0, and the attached EHD might be Disk 1, depending on your PC and if you have other internal disk drives or USB thumb drives. The key will be the Size of the device, which should be around 6 TB.

When you see the list of disks, and figure out which one it is, type “Select Disk 1” (where “1” is the Disk number of the appropriate Disk). As a sanity check, type “Detail Disk” which will show the name of the Drive manufacturer at the top. It should say Seagate. Don’t type the next command unless you are confident that you have selected your new EHD. (Typing “Detail Volume” will show the volume(s) and drive letter on that Disk. If it shows C:, you selected the wrong Disk and you should stop now!)

Typing “Clean” will wipe out the selected drive’s partition table and reset it to MBR. Once that is done, exit DISKPART and eject the EHD from your system. You should then be able to plug the EHD into your Hopper 3 and if everything is good, you should be prompted to prepare the drive for External Hard Drive use.

I ran into a problem with a USB External Enclosure I bought from Amazon years and years ago. It would not recognize any SATA drive over 2 TB in size, and I was trying to make it work with a 4 TB drive. It was rather frustrating and I sent the enclosure back to Amazon and got a Sabrent enclosure to replace it. It’s still in use.

Reactions: TheKrell
I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I think you're barking up the wrong tree. The H3 seems to be lacking in its ability to work reliably with EHDs. I finally gave up on the attempt with mine. I had the same Western Digital EHD on a 722 for several years without a problem. When I upgraded to the Hopper 3 it took all kinds of hooplah to get it to recognize the EHD. When it finally did start working I was never able to get more than a few days before a message would appear stating the EHD needed to be formatted for the Hopper. After about 3 times of losing everything that had been moved to the EHD I decided it was not worth it.

Even if you use an EHD that meets all the requirements it doesn't mean it's going to work.

I recommend just using the internal drive for storage. It is pretty massive compared to older receiver models IMO.

If you DO get it working never move any recordings to it that you wouldn't mind just deleting because you might just end up with the same end result.

I have used 2 Western Digital MyBook drives and a MyBook Duo set up as a raid array on my two Hopper3 receivers. They have worked very well although rarely one of the drives will not be detected. When this happens disconnecting the drive and reconnecting it or rebooting the Hopper3 always fixes it. Since the drives are tied to my account two of the drives were from my VIP receivers so I have many years of saved content.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: Foxbat and TheKrell
Seagates have been troublesome since day one of EHD implementation. Which is ironic in that they were "sponsors" of the initiative.

Reactions: bookworm370
I have a Seagate drive that worked fine on my VIP612 box. I was never able to get the H3 to recognize it. You may want to try the tip I was given on November 2nd in my thread "considering upgrade finally to Hopper with OTA antenna".

It shows how you may copy the data to another drive if you have a PC running Linux.

I have a Seagate drive that worked fine on my VIP612 box. I was never able to get the H3 to recognize it. You may want to try the tip I was given on November 2nd in my thread "considering upgrade finally to Hopper with OTA antenna".

It shows how you may copy the data to another drive if you have a PC running Linux.
Even if you don't have Linux running, you can just clone or image to a new drive using Macrium Reflect software on the PC and it will work fine. The problem most likely is not the drive itself but rather the SATA to USB bridge used which the Hopper H3 does not like but works fine with the Hopper 2000 for example since a lot has to do with how it translates the sectors, heads and other data on the USB side that the client being the Hopper H3 in this case will recognize or not.

i have always used Western Digital drives for my EHD's. I had 7 or 8 of them connected to powered hubs with individual switches to turn them on and off on my old 722. I now have 2 WD drives plugged directly into my H3 and then a 7 port powered hub with individual power switches plugged into the last USB port, giving me 3 drives attached at a time on the H3, with no issues. I was having issues with drives that were plugged into "green" power strips and the power to the drive would not be on all the time and the drives would disappear.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)