Searching 2.. for Satellite 771

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ultrablu

Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
Hello I am new to this...I hope that I am posting in the correct area. I am new to DirecTV since Feb.29th. Everything worked fine for a few days until day before yesterday, about only 1/2 of my HD channels would display... Searching 2 satellite 771. I checked the signals on all satellites. Nothing on 99s or 103s and only about 85-89 on tuner 1 on satellite 103c no signal at all on tuner 2 satellite 103c All of the rest of the satellites had between 90 and 99 on both tuners. I am using brand new HR20. I was wondering what the specifications were regarding the signal strengths on the satellites listed. I telephoned the tech..he advised that 103c was the important one. I wanted to check with other experts to verify.

I swapped the B bands, reset the receiver still read searching on 2. I am not sure, but wouldn't that have made tuner 1 show up as searching?

Try doing a reset, then enter " 0 2 4 6 8" as soon as you see the blue Welcome screen. This will force a download of the latest software which sometimes clears this problem up (provided it isn't an issue with the cabling).

Funny thing happened after your message... the receiver would not even switch channels. I did the reboot as advised. This seemed to have initially liven up some of the HD channels, however not completely. The tech showed up early and swapped the HR 20 with the HR 21..Problem fixed.

Many thanks for your help.

I had the same situation about a year ago and had to have an HR20 replaced - one of the sat tuners started failing. Just as an FYI, if they replace the box and the problem comes back they need to come out and replace the multiswitch and lnb on the dish (unless there is a cable problem - like a dog bite or something).

Couple things to check..

Channels 480 - 481 should confirm b-band converts are working

Channels 490 - 494 will confirm voltage is being properly passed through your lines.

If any of those go to SFSS then there is a definitive problem somewhere.

Look at all connectors and make sure the Dialetric is even with the connector. Make sure the Connector is a blue band or black band compression type and not a crimp on. The stinger should be 1/16- /18 " out from connector/

Make sure your cable going to your HR is 3ghtz or better rates (2.2ghtz will work but with any kinks/compression in the line you will loose or have issues on channels that sit at 2150mhtz. Make sure it is RG6 or better and not RG59

Verify any splices in the cable that they have weather boots, are tight and have not rusted. (if the semi-conductor is rusted you need to get the line replaced with solid copper, and not copper clad)

Verify the connectors on the Groundblock/Multiswitch are as stated above and have weather boots. Make sure the lines at the GB/MS are not crimping themselves.

And make sure the 5lnbf dish is aligned properly with a signal meter and the tech uses the fine tuning dials. If its on a Pole make sure the pole is concreted in secure and is perfectly level. If its on a Mount, make sure you have mono-poles and they are secured.. the top part of the mount should be perfectly straight. a Properly mounted dish on a roof should have zero movement from the dish to the roof, the lnbf arm will move though, you should feel confident that you could use it to rappel from :)

Most of this you can verify yourself. But you may have to go under your house/attic

Thanks Jeff Card and Master Deals. This forum is really great.....Lots of good info from experienced people. I was just wondering about the blue and black band connectors. Is there a difference? I have some of both but no crimp connections... Also... is there an inexpensive tester that I can purchase to check the mhtz and ghtz frequencies that you mentioned?

I am also really interested in testing and evaluating the new software as it has been released.

Thanks

I am intermittently having the same problem...searching for signal on tuner 2 (771), however most of my signals are above 90, most in the high 90's if not %100, and only one is less (89). . I have downloaded the new software, and it seemed to this fix the problem (for now).
Assuming it comes back and that wasn't the fix - I live in DC, on a windy hill with the dish on my roof - I used to have this thing mounted on my solid vent tube coming out of my roof - but since the genius satellite guy (who was not well informed - period) came out, and installed it on a roof mount, I have had nothing but reception problems, especially after storms. I think I may move it back to the plumbing vent tube, which I mounted the dish with car exhaust U-bolts, and I could have used the thing to grapple down my roof in a hurricane with it was so sturdy. One question - he did not run a straight cable, he tapped into my existing cable, and joined them using barrel connectors. How bad is that to do, realistically? I am a software engineer, and a hobbyist - I can do this...and am willing to go back and replace anything I need to on my own, if necessary.
Second question - if i don't want to put this thing back on my plumbing vent tube, do they sell heavy duty roof mounts for the dishes, for windy places?
Third question - do you have a special filter that will block out John and Kate plus 8 and Grey's Anatomy? It would really make my life easier when my girlfriend is here. he he

Thanks so much for your help!!

Chris

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts