GEOSATpro Searching for Close Captions (CC) channels

avenger

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
Slidell, Louisiana
In all of these FTA satellite channels there's got to be at least one satellite channel that is showing "Close Captions".:confused:

I would like to use the "Close Captions" functions of the microHD, but so far those channels are hard to find.

I found one Friday. It was either 99 or 101 c-band, but I'm not sure now which one as my 6 footer is ghetto-aimed at both. I worked 12 hours yesterday and am 10 hours into another 12 hour shift right now. So, I'm thinking ThisTV or MEtv, but it could have been one of the LeSea channels or? I was happy as a pig in mud and flipping all over channels when I got these up and running just before days of rain..

97w KU- TBN, Daystar, Church Channel, Smile of a Child, JCTV, 3ABN

87w KU- Lousiana Public Broadcasting

Many, many more ..... NBC East, Central, Mountain, West, CW channels.... etc.

The TV's Closed Captioning only works if using the composite video connection in standard definition 480i. The television's CC feature decodes the analog inputs, but typically will not decode CC from the HDMI inputs.

The microHD is capable of internally decoding and overlaying the text on the HDMI output allowing Closed Captioning text to be viewed on HD TVs in HD and on HD programming. This is why the microHD is so unique!

If you are using the HDMI connection, acivate the microHD Closed Captioning feature by tuning one of the channels with CC then pressing the RED color button on the remote. You may have to wait a second or two for the CC date to be processed by the receiver before being able to activate.

Closed captioning is required by FCC rules for broadcast stations and networks. Most comply but there are certain exclusions. How RTV gets away without CC is questionable. MeTV seems to have all of their programs captioned. Some live sports events are captioned on-site instead of at the station. News reports via satellite are captioned by the network (if applicable) or the local station. So, it's pretty much hit or miss. The new firmware in the microHD shows a CC icon in the info window when CC is present.

Not at the receiver right now but I tried it out on the NBC at 105 and some channels on Galaxy 16 and the CC works on many channels.
was tricky to figure it out at first but then the instructions posted here on this site worked.

Closed captioning is required by FCC rules for broadcast stations and networks. Most comply but there are certain exclusions. How RTV gets away without CC is questionable.
Probably because CC is only required at the terrestrial broadcast level and not required in satellite feeder private links not intended for the home user (i.e. luken private feeder link - not required, DISH Network downlink intended for home end user - required).

You can add G3C@95W and the KBOI2 to the CC list. C Band 4167, V,6614. I forget what it scans in as, I renamed it for myself as it is 2 hrs different time zone for me and allows early TV watching from Calif.

Probably because CC is only required at the terrestrial broadcast level and not required in satellite feeder private links not intended for the home user (i.e. luken private feeder link - not required, DISH Network downlink intended for home end user - required).
Luken's feed is intended for commercial television rebroadcast, not a private link for home use. Their lack of captioning is clearly a violation, but there are hardship exclusions available. In 1996, Congress required video programming distributors (VPDs) (cable operators, broadcasters, satellite distributors and other multi-channel video programming distributors) to close caption their television programs.
The Commission's rules provide procedures for petitioning the Commission for an exemption from the closed captioning rules where compliance with the rules would be economically burdensome. Exemptions may be granted, in whole or in part, for a channel of video programming, a category or type of video programming, an individual video service, a specific video program, or a video programming provider. A petition for an exemption must be supported by sufficient evidence to demonstrate that compliance with the closed captioning requirements would be economically burdensome (would result in a "significant difficulty or expense"). I sent an email to Luken's closed captioning department and am awaiting a response.

Last edited:
Ok dont want to step on anyones toes here but here is a few tested CC channels that work fine on the microHD thur HDMI cable CW mux on 72wReelz on 91wABC and LPTV mux on 95wKCWY NBC,Fox Synd Channels,GDMX mux and Lesea mux on 99wLorac mux channel 1,2,3,ThisTv,MeTv on 101wBoth ION muxs on 103wbut thats just a few. I know that i have seen more but there it is a few that has been tested and work good

The microHD displays Closed Captioning on every channel active with CC data that we tested. If the channel has CC, the microHD can either pass EIA-608 type for the TV to decode via the the composite video connection or internally decode both EIA-608 and EIA-708 types and overlay (OSD) the CC text over the composite video connection or the HDMI jack in all resolutions.

All types of CC display options are supported with the internal decoding and OSD: 2 line, 3 line, split screen, positioning, pop-up and roll.

Luken's feed is intended for commercial television rebroadcast, not a private link for home use. Their lack of captioning is clearly a violation, but there are hardship exclusions available.

I think you should go back to SES-2 and take another look as there are several channels with CC there and some are on by default or so it appears here with the micro hd even when I have it turned off according to the micro receiver..
Check out the 3920 mux there.
To me CC is a pain if I want to watch something and they have all that scrolling across the screen.

Depends on so many factors...

My hearing has been going for the last 3yrs and I turn the TV up too loud as a result. Main benefit for me though is CC works while the TV is muted and I'm in BED! Dialog is easy to read as I haven't any problem with my eyes...

I may have to replace my S9 with an other MicroHD...

I THINK (danger, Doug is ThInKiNg === TILT) .. it appears to me that CC is passed through on the mini plug R,W,Y connector if the TV is set for CC on. It MIGHT be that it is generated or provided by the microHD if selected on the microHD's menu whether CC is turned on or not on the TV, through one of the connectors. I will not have time to check and see --- very busy ... not much TV for last month and a LOT of work to be done before the MUD season starts ... Then the cold season starts. Can not do anything outside in the MUD. Very little when temps below 10 degrees and 25+ MPH winds. But then the ground is hard again!