Searching for Galaxy 18

Status
Please reply by conversation.

alemmoe

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
pottstown,pa
I am having a hard time in getting a signal for galaxy 18@ 123 degrees. The antenna is right on plumb. I eliminated the motor. My receiver is a Geo Sat Pro DSR # 110C from GloryStar. My Dish is a 39” HotDish90 from DMS International. My LNB is a Invacom QPH-031 with 2 lineal ports and 2 circular ports. My receiver is beside the Dish and hooked to the Lineal port. I got my Latitude@ 40.193 and Longitude @ -75.613, Elevation @23.1, Azimuth @ 239.3 degrees and LNB Skew 41.1. from dish pointer.com. for Eastern Pa. How can the LNB get a skew setting of 41 Degrees when the degree marking on the Invacom LNB is only 20 to right and 20 to left? What should the degrees be set at and how do I set it at 41, if 41 is correct? Could it be that my GeoSat is not compatable with the Invacom? Last spring I bought 2 Sonicview 360 Elite receivers with this dish, but I cannot use them because they are not user friendly at all and the blind scan does not work in them. My plan is to lock in the signal with the geosat, then switch out the receivers later.:confused:

You could try to find 119°W on the circular port of the Invacom and mark the mount pipe. Then do the same for 129°W on circular. Then you know 123°W is in between the two points. From 119°W you can move over slightly to 121°W on linear, then on to 123°W.

Since the circular DBS satellites are so powerful they are easy to find and make convenient reference points.

Thanks Gillham, :eureka for that good hint using a circular search. I will try it after I get a response from a INVACOM Expert on my questions I asked .
:confused: Is it zero degrees without a motor or if it is 41 degrees skew on the Invacom ,then how to set it :confused::confused: . Alemmoe

How can the LNB get a skew setting of 41 Degrees when the degree marking on the Invacom LNB is only 20 to right and 20 to left? What should the degrees be set at and how do I set it at 41, if 41 is correct?
I would measure the distance to the 20° mark and then add that distance to the side needed and turn the LNB that much to get close to your 41° mark.

Thanks Larobpra,
I rechecked that 41 degrees on dish point again because a question mark shows up before the [ ?41 ]. I checked the Lat, Long and Skew settings on DishPoint.Com again with a motor and without a motor and it was still [? 41 ] . I will keep trying.

Thanks SkyScanner.
When my dish point calculator map shows a line straight over my neighbors barn, is that my true Azimuth=239 as my line of sight or is it really the magnetic =251 setting . I always took the line as the true Asimuth.
Alemmoe

skew alot of times may not be 100% accurate if a fixed dish

example....I just put up a fixed dish for 125W and in MN the skew is 28 yet I got maximum quality at 17 skew....If I go past 20 the quality drops

Alemmoe
Check your azimuth with a compass, 239 true degrees would actually appear at 251 magnetic degrees on a compass at your location because of the magnetic declination. Iceberg is correct about skew not always being correct. The rule of thumb I use is 1/2 the distance between true south and the actual bird you're locked on. In your case 239 [actual] minus 180 [true south] = 59. Half that is about 30 degrees, which is exactly where I'm at on that bird. A good place to start, but nothing beats having a reciever and TV handy to tweak the skew. My formula may not work for you because your geographical location is further east of where I am in MI.

Last edited:
Thanks again SkyRunner and Iceberg for the valuable insight.
My tv is right beside the Dish and connected directly ,without any switch.
GloryStar responded to my other question on the compatibility of the geoSat and my Hot Bird 90 Dish and also using the Invacom LNB.
Thinks are looking up. :). :)Alemmoe

I have a old primestar dish 40" with a model NJR2112F Lnb FSS need to find out the high and low frq any help would be appreciated and I dont know if i have posted in right place trying to get sat 18

weaner, if thats the old round primestar lnbf with the sep outputs for H and V, its not a universal type. Standard lnbf with LO freq of 10750. You can use a 3x4 multiswitch to mix the sep H and V signals into one cable to the rec.

don't take the picture too serious. mine was off 4 degrees. Aerial photographs have the parallax effect. try the circular on 119 like they said and your elev will be real close

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)