Searching for Sat Error Code: 771 on certain channels with the HR-20

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Azeke

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Hello everyone,

I am receiving the error code 771 on the HR20, but only on certain channels 501, 512, 538. I have checked all coxial connections, Sat signal strengths, and Tuner signals. When I go to channel 70, the error goes away.

Could this be a bad LNB?

Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

Thank-you.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Well that is a satellite signal problem. Could be a number of different things. Do you find that the 771 comes on the same satellite..i.e. 110 101 0r 119...That would be the first thing to check. If it is giving you that message on one satellite then you probably have a bad lnb..Is this on a triple sat or a KA/KU system?

Thanks Satman,

This is a 5 LNB dish, with locals via MPEG4, I still see the channels in question.
I have tested those sats signal strengths with tech support and they said everything seems find. They are sending a installer tomorrow.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Mine is doing this out of the bo:mad:installed 20 minutes ago) only on tuner 1, tuner 2 has great strength and the HR10 worked fine 30 minutes before that. Guy is headed back to the warehouse to get another, claims the tuner 1 is bad.

I think he's right because he switched the cable and it still said tuner 1.

Elwaylite,

That is certainly an interesting perspective. I've heard of individuals who have had bad tuners, hopefully they will bring an extra HR-20, tomorrow for my install.

Did you or the installer test the signal strength on both tuners?

Let us know how this all turns out, I await the outcome with breathless anticipation.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Yeah, tuner 1 was not getting anything and tuner 2 was fine, he swithced cables and it still showed tuner 1 as a problem.

He just left a minute ago, new box is working great and is downloading the new software update 00D1.

elwaylite said:
Yeah, tuner 1 was not getting anything and tuner 2 was fine, he swithced cables and it still showed tuner 1 as a problem.

He just left a minute ago, new box is working great and is downloading the new software update 00D1.

Some others have reported this...it also appears to be an intermittent problem (not consistently happening) for some folks.

All in all, this seems to be a firmware, not hardware/tuner issue.

It'll be interesting to see if you see it again after the newest firmware.

It only happens on the channels previously mentioned, and I can implement a workaround. I have the latest firmware, I thought perhaps that would solve the problem, but to no avail. I'll see what happens tomorrow when the installer makes a visit, maybe a bad LNB is still on the list of possible issues.

Thanks all for your feeback, keep it coming please, it will minimize the possible issues and trouble-shooting scenarios.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

The first box he brought this morning was doing it on every channel so I think tuner 1 was shot, we even reset it a few times. Got the new one setup with the update and it's working great so far.

That's wonderful news Elwaylite, glad to see if everything is working well for you.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Yeah, all we need now is the OTA tuner enabled, atleast I can watch stuff OTA on my TV when I'm home. I went ahead and called retention today and asked them to put in for waivers. I've heard some people in the Charleston area got them and are watching the national hd major network feeds.

Here is my updated story (readers digest version):

The installer came today. Checked everything I has previously checked, tuner signal strengths, Sat signals, cables (even replaced a cable), no dice. I still have the Searching issue on specific channels, which I can circumvent by changing to another channel . He said you need a new box, I believe your tuner is bad (my guess, varying voltages on tuner 2). Wonderful, I said sarcastically, he said sign here, I nicely said no, not until you call Direct and state the issue (he wanted me to call). He contacted Direct thru an installer number (I guess) and remained on hold, after connecting the D*tv tech stated he needed to call another number. OK, he called and was disconnected, I said call back, and I will call as well. He called and again he was on hold, while I called CRD, I was connected right away (that was a blessing), the installer was shocked. He said should I hang up, I said not yet, wait until I get the box, I was then forwarded to Tier 2 Support and after letting her know the HR-20 was defective, she stated with trepidation, that she would ship out another box (this will be my third HR-20). I asked her are you sure, I heard that the HR-20 is on backorder, she said I should receive it within three business days. I thanked the installer for his time and signed the work order.

Hopefully, you've enjoyed my tale of woe, and I hope that this is the last HR-20 I will need. We shall see said the blind man, stay tuned.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Thats crazy two were bad. I don't understand why he couldn't drive down to their warehouse like my installer did yesterday and get another box. He left and came back an hour later with another HR20 so I don't get why you have to wait 3 days.

Thank you for your concern. The installer was actually making a service call on the second box I had received, after I reported this issue to Direct. The first box which the installer brought last week went DOA two hours after installation. I called the installers back but to no avail, I just called the Installation Department and requested another box, in the interim I just re-installed my H-20 600.

I did ask could they replace the box themselves, he said no of course, the one he had in the truck was for a customer. I left it alone after that, I'm not to overly concerned, at least this one works, I just have to make adjustments when tuning to specific channels. At least Direct is trying to correct the situation, I await patiently for the replacement.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Last edited:
Azeke said:
Hello everyone,

I am receiving the error code 771 on the HR20, but only on certain channels 501, 512, 538. I have checked all coxial connections, Sat signal strengths, and Tuner signals. When I go to channel 70, the error goes away.

Could this be a bad LNB?

Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

Thank-you.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

I'm getting the same error message on line 1 or 2. Got it 3 times today. I can swap the lines going to the tuners and the problem remains on the sale tuner. Running the system test, shows signal strength on tuner 1 at 96% and tuner 2 100%.

The only way to get rid of the message is by resetting the receiver.

DTV is sending a tech this Sat.

Cable was never this bad.

I don't have to reset the receiver, I just change the channel to 851 (Jazz) and/or 70 which is HD, and then jump back to the previous channel. This seems to work for me, you can test out this on your box, it definitely saves time. I will receive the replacement HR-20 probably on Tuesday. Hopefully this issue is rectified with the replacement, but I will hold on to my current HR-20 for a couple of days just to be sure. Hope this helps.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Well, I received the replacement DVR, Tuesday as promised, manufactured 9/27/06 and it still yields the same error :( . I going to call 2nd Tier Tech support and see what can be done. I have the new Zinwell switch installed (WB616), this could be the root of the issue, I will have to put back the old configuration ( 2 WB68s, 4 splitters), to eliminate that as a possible source of the problem, before I contact support. Right now I can live with it because I can circumvent the issue by switching to Channel 70 (HD), and jump back to the previous channel. I'll just have to wait the next firmware update to see if this problem can be rectified. At least I have a HD-DVR that is functional, I will continue to trouble-shoot this issue, without the required on-site visit. Stay tuned.

Vlj9r,

Did the technician find the source of your issue?

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Azeke said:
Well, I received the replacement DVR, Tuesday as promised, manufactured 9/27/06 and it still yields the same error :( . I going to call 2nd Tier Tech support and see what can be done. I have the new Zinwell switch installed (WB616), this could be the root of the issue, I will have to put back the old configuration ( 2 WB68s, 4 splitters), to eliminate that as a possible source of the problem, before I contact support. Right now I can live with it because I can circumvent the issue by switching to Channel 70 (HD), and jump back to the previous channel. I'll just have to wait the next firmware update to see if this problem can be rectified. At least I have a HD-DVR that is functional, I will continue to trouble-shoot this issue, without the required on-site visit. Stay tuned.

Vlj9r,

Did the technician find the source of your issue?

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

He is sheduled for this Saturday afternoon. I'll let you know what he finds.

Thank you kind sir. I am certainly interested in their findings, when the tech left my house after checking the tuner and sat strengths, cabling, determined that I had a bad tuner. You may want the tech to check the dish alignment accurancy and LNB's. Just my humble suggestions.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts