searching for sig on satellite 1

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dodaniel

Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
hughes SD-DVR40 I recently moved in with a new roomate who already had direct tv. I turned my service off and added my reciever to his account. It is a dual tuner. He only had one coax line coming into the room. so I got a line splitter. It seems to work except for one issue. there are a certain number of channels that work fine. There are another set of channels that only work if a channel from this group are on both recievers. for instance I can watch espn on one tuner 1 and espn 2 on the tuner 2, but if I change tuner 2 to scifi tuner 2 says searching for signal, it also does this if I turn tuner 2 to NFL network. but if I put tuner 1 on NFL network and tuner 2 on scifi then they both work. Has anyone ever had anything like this happen? Directv is no help. All they want to do is send someone out and charge me. I tried getting a new splitter that has let splits in it and that does not help either. Please help me this is driving me nuts and keeps my DVR from recording a lot of my scheduled programs.

You cannot use a splitter, you must use a coax coming from the dish, or, if used, the multiswitch.

What kind of dish do you have, how many receivers are on it now (before the roommate)?

I removed one from the room I was in one in living room, on dual tuner tivo in one bedroom, and one in the other bedroom. what I used was an 8 port perfect vision pvms-8ep 2050 mghz. It is a dual LNB dish split off 4 ways and then split again at the other side of the house. Then I went to a 2 port 900 mghz splitter with the same results.

You have a dual lnb, which means you would want to run the 2 coax (as in BOTH) from the dish, into a multiswitch (like the pvms-8ep), then you can use the 8 ports on the 8 side of that switch to feed one tuner each, _no splitters_ can be used. If you need more than 8, you canm just replace the 3x8 with a 3x12 or 3x16 etc.

Example:
Round Dish/2 coax->3x8 multiswitch->8 outputs->one run for each tuner

No splitter in the above example, else it will not work right.

Last edited:
OK, I only have a single line coming off of another 4 port spiltter from the dual lnb into my room, what would you suggest as a solution to get my tuner working, can I cascade another multiswitch that splits one line to two?

dodaniel said:
OK, I only have a single line coming off of another 4 port spiltter from the dual lnb into my room, what would you suggest as a solution to get my tuner working, can I cascade another multiswitch that splits one line to two?

How many tuners total (1 tuner for standard receivers and 2 for each DVR) are you trying to drive, give me a number, please. :)

Ok this is how you should be setup:

The dish has 2 outputs, those BOTH must go into the 3 side of the 3x8, then you will run one coax on each of the 8 ports (in your case you'll only need 6) to a tuner, using any splitters will cause one tuner to lock the LNB so the other receivers that are on that same split cannot switch the LNB, that is why splitters will NOT work.

Unfortunatley with the layout that is not possible. what I am looking for is more of a possible cascade situation. Would it be possible to get say a 2x4 multiswitch and just hook that up in my room so I can have the two outputs that way. The reason is it not possible is the multiswitch I have is an indoor model and the wires are all runoutdoors.and 3, of the recievers(1 reg and 1 dvr) are already in place and have a 3X4 outdoor multi in place.

dodaniel said:
Unfortunatley with the layout that is not possible. what I am looking for is more of a possible cascade situation. Would it be possible to get say a 2x4 multiswitch and just hook that up in my room so I can have the two outputs that way. The reason is it not possible is the multiswitch I have is an indoor model and the wires are all runoutdoors.and 3, of the recievers(1 reg and 1 dvr) are already in place and have a 3X4 outdoor multi in place.

No, the way I described is the only way it will work properly, UNLESS you want to invest a fortune with a stacker/destacker solution.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts