Searching for Signal SAT 1 - HELP!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wbyberg

Original poster
Oct 15, 2005
I have a two year old RCA Directv DVR Model DVR 40.
For the past 4 months, at least twice a day it displays the message “Searching for Signal on SAT 1”.

I have been able to correct the problem every time by going to “Test Satellite Signal Strength Now” and selecting OK. Then wait about 5 secs. When I return to the same channel by pressing the Watch Live TV button (and it happens with a variety of channels not just one) the channel comes in fine and the error message is gone.

One of my two SAT lines runs first to a Terk diplexer and then through a new 4 channel Radio Shack multi switch so I can get local channels. The other SAT lines runs direct to the RCA unit. A Terk dish mount antenna is used. There are no other receivers on my system.

I have contacted Directv but they have been unable to help. Has anyone had this problem and corrected it? My guess is that the DVR needs to be replaced.

Only a guess from your description but the two lines from the satellite dish should run to the 4 way multiswitch then the diplexer should go on the output side of the multiswitch.

LNB Port 1 & 2 should go straight to multiswitch, Antenna line should go to ANT In on multiswitch. First receiver out should go to your room with a diplexor to seperate SAT/Antenna signal to your IRD. Second receiver out should go to your room and plug directly to your IRD.

If that doesn't work check your signals. If signals look look you may have a bad multiswitch.

wbyberg said:
One of my two SAT lines runs first to a Terk diplexer and then through a new 4 channel Radio Shack multi switch so I can get local channels. The other SAT lines runs direct to the RCA unit. A Terk dish mount antenna is used. There are no other receivers on my system.

Why do you need the multiswitch at all? If you have only one DVR and a round dish with a dual output LNB, then just run the two lines directly from the dish to the two inputs of the DVR. Of course, one line will go through the Terk OTA antenna mounted diplexer on the dish side. That same line would have the Terk diplexer on the receiver side.

Searching for Signal SAT 1 - HELP

OK then I do not need a multiswitch anymore that I scaled back to only one DVR - that makes sense.
But in order to get the OTA signal to my other two TVs does it matter where the diplexer is placed in the line from the Terk to split away the OTA signal and send it to them? There are only two lines coming down through the Terk 42 from the dish. If I go direct to the DVR with both no OTA gets to the other two TVs.
I've tried various combos but end up losing SAT ! signal repeatedly. The signal test shows both signals on all transponders to be over 85%.

Thanks everyone for all the info!

wbyberg said:
But in order to get the OTA signal to my other two TVs does it matter where the diplexer is placed in the line from the Terk to split away the OTA signal and send it to them? There are only two lines coming down through the Terk 42 from the dish. If I go direct to the DVR with both no OTA gets to the other two TVs.
What I would do is jumper the VHF/UHF output of the diplexer into a 3 or 4 way splitter, then connect those outputs to the two outbound TVs and to the off air inout of the receiver.

searching for signal SAT 1 - Help

Thank you for the reply.
Do you mean jumper it at the interior diplexer that is at the receiver? I was afraid of that. The only diplexer that is in the line now is the Terk interior diplexer that is at the receiver. Unfortunately this is at the far end of my house far away from the OTA TVs in the lower level at the other end of the house. It will be costly and extremely challenging to run a wire between them because all the walls and ceilings are finished and access is very difficult. (The wife will probably not go for an exposed wire running through the middle of her formal dining room :) .
I was hoping to be able to take the OTA signal off of the existing wire from the dish where it enters a mechanical room where there is a junction box for the “home runs” to each TV. Two wires run to the RCA DVR and one each to the other TVs. Trying to run a third wire either between the receiver and the TVs or between the dish and the mechanical room junction is not going to be fun. Sounds simple enough but when its hooked up this way (the way Terk says to do it) the RCA DVR reports the error “searching for SAT 1” about 10x a day. It is frustrating.
wbyberg

her is the best way to do this, a take a two way splitter at the dish, place one output into the multiswitch, take the other output and run it to a splitter to give you enough ports to run the rest of the televisions except the dvr. run the satellite lines from the dish into the input lines on the multiswitch, then run the output lines to your recievers. now at the DVR, place a diplexor in reverse and use the ant side to feed your off air signal into the reeciever. Rule of thum, you need to used diplexors in pairs, the multiswitch has an internal one. If you continue to have a problem with the sat going to searching, check to make sure the connectors are still flush in the fittings, if not replace, last chance is to replace the diplexor. Good luck;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)