Searching for signal with second receiver??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

abarickman

Original poster
Jan 20, 2006
I have a problem where periodically my satellite receiver in my bedroom will not display certain channels because it is "Searching for a signal". My family room directv tivo always has a signal even when the upstairs phillips decoder does not. It does not seem to be consistant when it happens and if I wait it comes back after a while with no action on my part. I have also seen where I am able to get some channels but cannot get others.

If anyone can help me troubleshoot this I would appreciate the help. Thanks.

what type of reciever are you talking about, if it is any of the D-10 series or the D-11 you must force the download first, 0,2,4,6,8

What is the install method? Like Type of dish, what cable, what switches, or anything else in the cable run between the dish all the way to the receiver.

Thanks for the responses. I have directv service with a round dish. Two inputs come into the house from the dish and then the go into a Leviton 3X4 multiswitch. Two feeds come out and go to my family room Directv Tivo and a seperate feed comes out of the switch to my master bedroom Philips DSX 5500.

Let me know if there is anymore information that you need and I can track it down.

did the installer use the existing wiring or run all new.?

BTW the phillips was one of the worst IRDS ever made.

all homeruns. or could there be a splitter somewhere in that line to the master bedroom? BTW software download has NOTHING to do with this problem.

Last edited:
I bet it has some sort of cable splitting device in the attic or wall. These are not compatible. Try running a new RG6 cable to that "problem" receiver or moving it to a location in the house that you knows works correctly. If it works then it is the cable run into the bedroom.

Is there anyway to check this. Obviously I don't have an easy way to run a new cable myself and I am pretty sure it should not have a splitter in the path. Anything else that I do or check?

As posted above:

Take the problem receiver to another cable run in your home that you know works.

You could also go buy a 50' foot cable at Radio Shack for about $15 and run it through the house to test the receiver if it can't be moved.

If the issue is solved, that bedroom run is more than likely your problem.

If not, we have other issues to resolve. BUT most pre-wired homes DO have the splitters in them so it would be NO surprise.

Tough to do since I have to move a lot of equipment and it only happens occasionally. Thanks for the information though I appreciate your help.

if you have wall plates, are there 2 in that room? bet one of the wall plates contains a splitter, if so remove it and barrel the runs together.

charper, he has to have a hi-frequency splitter or tap buried somewhere.

That is the only coax run to that room.

Next time it happens I will try to take the cable box into the family room. Now the problem will be getting behind my 300 lbs tv to get to the connections. Ugggg

dragon002 said:
charper, he has to have a hi-frequency splitter or tap buried somewhere.

I agree, and thus moving the "bad" receiver to a clean cable from radio shack, direct to the dish is the best test. Otherwise move it to a outlet/cable that does not experience the problem.

To Abarickman : I would not wait because of bit of inconvenience, as you might be harming your equipment in the process. You need to take care of it, really.

One more thing to add to charper and dragon. Did the installer change the connection in the wall plate. Most of the time when the wire is installed while the house is being built the electrician will not put the end on correctly and this will make you loose either your odd or even transponders. I have seen this on nearly 90% of the new house installs I do.

The Tate said:
One more thing to add to charper and dragon. Did the installer change the connection in the wall plate. Most of the time when the wire is installed while the house is being built the electrician will not put the end on correctly and this will make you loose either your odd or even transponders. I have seen this on nearly 90% of the new house installs I do.

i dint think that is the problem here, he says the problem is intermittent, not constant.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)