Searching for signal with second receiver??

Status
Please reply by conversation.
if it was power passing and nothing is on the other side then it would work as a barrel.

Edit: when they were building the house why would they use a high quality power passing splitter in the first place. the electrician is going to use the cheapest thing he can use to complete the job.

I had the same problem in one room. The receiver would periodically freeze or search for signal. It turns out that a connection was somehow comprimised. I just started at the receiver and loosened and re-attached the connections as far as I could go. Everything has been fine ever since. If you're lucky that's all it is.

The Tate said:
if it was power passing and nothing is on the other side then it would work as a barrel.

Edit: when they were building the house why would they use a high quality power passing splitter in the first place. the electrician is going to use the cheapest thing he can use to complete the job.

if it was power passing and not rated to 2250 he could have problems on the 13v side.

Well I still believe it has to be in a connection somewere. I have never seen a power passing splitter not rated under 2250 Most I have seen are atleast 2300. However if for some instance he did have one that was not power passing "just a plain jane" from what I have seen he will have problems with the odd transponders anyway.
But like you said earlyier his problem is not constant and if it were a splitter "as discribed" than most likely it would be constant cause it would never let the power pass on the 13v.

I have a Dual-tuner Directv Tivo unit that was just 3-4 months old when I started getting "searching for signal" on line2. The cables were direct runs that I helped the installer put in. I thought it had to be the multi-switch so I tried switching the two wires to 2 different ouputs but no luck.

Shortly thereafter the Tivo "froze" and I had to restart it. After that, the "searching" message disappered! A few weeks later it was back. I restarted the unit again and it hasn't returned since. So could it be the receiver itself? It's probably more likely on the Tivo unit becuse I find both Tivo units I have need to be re-booted ocassionally to resolve the freezing issue.

Did you try "rebooting" the receiver in question (even thought it doesn't sound like a tivo unit) to see if that helps? It's probably a long shot but it's relatively inexpensive if you know what I mean :)

confused said:
The cables were direct runs that I helped the installer put in. I thought it had to be the multi-switch so I tried switching the two wires to 2 different ouputs

Direct run would be from the dish directly to the SAT-IN on the receiver. Without any breaks.

"I thought it had to be the multi-switch, so I switched outputs."

I thought you had them running DIRECT from the dish to the receiver.

Which switch are you talking about? The one built into the dish or a seperate switch?

The original poster is talking about having 2 switches, one in the dish and a seperate non-compatible switch later in the cable run.

Last edited:
I have tried rebooting the Tivo and the receiver with no luck. I have not had a chance to do the moving around this week but the problem is still there so I plan to try some things this weekend. Thanks to all who are contributing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts