SEC & Longhorn Networks

I love college football and I will love having these channels. I get the sports pack too in the fall. I just hate it for everyone else. People already subsidize sports enough and to add these two channels is just wrong. Put them in the sports pack were they belong.

That being said come fall I will enjoy the hell out of them. I'm glad Dish got a deal with SEC but everyone should not have to pay for it.

I certainly don't want to subsidize Texas athletics. But I'm not going to drop to a lower tier just for that.

It isn't an RSN, nothing like an RSN the only similarity being they carry sports programming. RSN's are not allowed to give you the Pro sports out of market and that is the big reason they must be treated differently than regular channels.
But channels like B10 and PAC12 ARE treated as RSNs, available to only subscribers in certain areas and require sports pack for everyone else. That is the group that the SEC and LHN should have been treated as, but as Disney had Dish by the bundling contract balls, this is what we get. Forced bundling and contract extortion is the paramount issue why we need ala carte as consumers. It'll only happen with changes in law, unfortunately.

I think the SEC Network will be great for everybody. We will get to see the best college football available. No one will have to miss out just because they live in another part of the country. That will be worth every dollar subscribers are asked to contribute. This is a great thing for Dish customers. I'm so happy for everyone knowing they'll get to enjoy this tremendous benefit Dish is offering to each and every customer. Thanks again Dish! You guys are truly trend setters.

when 21-7 is considered a "massive blowout" the quality of football lacks entertainment value.

So does the cupcake OOC scheduling.

That holds equally true for any conference. Although I have shown in the sports forum that many/most of the power sec schools do schedule a "big" game against another power conference school each year.

Sent from my Lumia Icon via Tapatalk

But channels like B10 and PAC12 ARE treated as RSNs, available to only subscribers in certain areas and require sports pack for everyone else. That is the group that the SEC and LHN should have been treated as, but as Disney had Dish by the bundling contract balls, this is what we get. Forced bundling and contract extortion is the paramount issue why we need ala carte as consumers. It'll only happen with changes in law, unfortunately.

That was their deal, yes, but not by law. I can't say I know the ins and outs of why one league would go one way and another one a different way.

That holds equally true for any conference. Although I have shown in the sports forum that many/most of the power sec schools do schedule a "big" game against another power conference school each year.

Sure they do . . . . . if you go there to play them . . .

In nearly every recent instance it has been a home and home or neutral site game.

Besides 2013 year Ohio State travels and plays teams. They had Cal scheduled back when when they were winning the PAC 12. That is what I love about them they will play a home and home with anyone. They don't do that neutral ground stuff. They want to play in The Shoe. We have Va Tech coming this year with a return trip next year. Plus Cinci. Then we have Oklahoma, Texas, Oregon,TCU, North Carolina and their working on getting another USC set of games.

Being a season ticket holder is nice. I know almost every year Ohio State will go play the big boys and bring them here.

I enjoy watching The SEC night games and I do believe they have the best league right now. What I think some SEC people don't realize is the Big Ten isn't that bad. The league held their own against the SEC in the bowls. There were no blow outs.

By the way I root for my team not a conference. Being a real fan is hanging in there for the good and the bad. If your team is bad you don't root for the next best thing. Plus I will never ever root for Michigan like some Bama people did for Auburn. No way no how!

Besides 2013 year Ohio State travels and plays teams. They had Cal scheduled back when when they were winning the PAC 12. That is what I love about them they will play a home and home with anyone. They don't do that neutral ground stuff. They want to play in The Shoe. We have Va Tech coming this year with a return trip next year. Plus Cinci. Then we have Oklahoma, Texas, Oregon,TCU, North Carolina and their working on getting another USC set of games.

Bama has scheduled some home and homes as well, along with the neutral site games. While I much prefer a home and home because of the campus atmosphere, I certainly understand the appeal of the neutral site matchups. Money.

Anyway, over the past 4 or five years Bama has played OOC, Clemson, Va Tech (twice), and Michigan as neutral site matchups to kick off the season. They have also had a home and home with Penn State sandwiched in there. Fla State was a recent opponent as well.

They had an upcoming home and home with Mich State scheduled that has since been lost to the uncertainty of the upcoming conference schedule caused by the conference expansions.

They have West Va next season in Atlanta, Wisconsin the next year in Dallas, and I believe they have a series scheduled with Ga Tech in the next few years (perhaps home and home).

By the way I root for my team not a conference. Being a real fan is hanging in there for the good and the bad. If your team is bad you don't root for the next best thing. Plus I will never ever root for Michigan like some Bama people did for Auburn. No way no how!

Personally, I root for my team first, no matter the record, then I do root for the conference. I understand that the SEC being strong and winning benefits Alabama. Not just financially, but prestige and reputation with the recruits. Our winning streak in the BCS (until this past season of course) has greatly benefited our member institutions, the old and the new, just ask A&M and Missouri fans.

As to Bama fans pulling for Auburn, well......I have the past two times they played for the BCS title for the reasons stated above, but ill go one further. I pull for them during the regular season as well, and if you ask many, certainly not all Barn fans, they would probably tell you that they do the same.

Why?

Ask a random Barn fan what would would be more satisfying. Beating us when we are 2-8? Or returning a field goal 109 yards to not only dash your undefeated arch rivals title hopes, but also cementing your spot in the SEC title game and the BCS title game?

I can tell you which they will answer, and its the same answer I would give. I would MUCH rather beat Auburn when they are winning. It makes the rivalry mean something and makes it more fun.

I could never ever root for Michigan or Wisky. I respect them but love to watch them lose. I don't see how you can root for a rival. Hate is what makes it a rival. They love when we lose and vice versa.

Like I said I'm a Buckeye fan and that's it. It just seems like SEC fans want to have their cake and eat it too. Well if such and such team sucks we'll just jump on the next best thing. I can't do that.

One thing I have noticed is when the SEC wins big its all SEC SEC but when a team like Florida loses to 1AA Georgia Southern its excuse time. By the way Georgia Southern had more injuries during the year than Florida.

I respect Bama playing a tough schedule. I like Saban. Great coach and program.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts