SEC Network

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ranmic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 11, 2009
Sun, Sun and more Sun!!!!
I know this was just announced in the media and there is probably very little details yet, but does anyone know the plans for the SEC Network on DTV? I assume DTV will offer it, but will it be a pay channel like part of the Sports pack or something?

It's suppose to launch next August.
I hate that ESPN is involved because we know how pricey their carriage fees will be. The fact is Directv is not going to carry this channel just because it is a sports channel.
I listened to the presser yesterday and one question was how were negotiations going to go with this channel. It will not be bulked with other Disney Channels. It will be negotiated on its own.
Will it be carried by Directv?
At some point probably. Not without a stern battle over fees!

I agree about the battle over fees. I think this network is likely to get carried eventually, because the SEC is a big and popular conference. It has a much better chance of being carried than a one team ESPN channel like The Longhorn Network.

this is one channel that d better add . Peoples here in the south will switch to a different carrier in a heart beat and I am one of them.

this is one channel that d better add . Peoples here in the south will switch to a different carrier in a heart beat and I am one of them.

Agreed 100%! I'm from the South and stuck in the North and love my SEC football. Unfortunately for me, if D doesn't carry it I will more than likely be screwed because I don't see a Northeast carrier carrying it. I can always pray.

Without the Pac12 and SEC Network, Directv will quickly loose appeal to the college sports fan. Some would even add the Longhorn Network in there, too.

Without the Pac12 and SEC Network, Directv will quickly loose appeal to the college sports fan. Some would even add the Longhorn Network in there, too.

Where are the fans going to go. Not many providers are carrying these. The Big Ten just hit it at the right time, but I think these may be a tough sell now as cost has become a big factor to the Cable/Sat providers.

Dish surprised me picking up the Pac12, but Direct didn't and neither one is carrying the Shorthorns network. I think this may be a tough sell now, unless Disney gives a little on something else or lets it be packaged standalone ala cart or into a sports package.

At the presser the ESPN spokesman said it this channel would be negotiated by itself. Not bundled with others.
AT&T Uverse was there too and has already comes to terms to carry this channel.
Mike Slive is a very smart man. I just hope he didn't underestimate the carriage cost to other providers.

D can't afford not to carry sec network and need to get a deal quick.

Hardly, SEC football is on TV all over the place on EVERY Saturday ...
CBS, ESPN, ESPN2, also they monopolize day AND Night.

I can watch MORE SEC football on a Saturday than Big Ten football and I'm in the Big Ten area.

I see the SEC Network coming, but probably not till closer to August /Oct. when the football season gets rolling.

I expect it will be set up like the Big Ten network, it's free in the conference areas and a add on for the rest of the country.

Fwiw, I don't see the big deal with the channel ... the B10 Network has been on for what 3 years, the only time I watch it for the most part is the few times that My team is forced (scheduled) to show up on it.

If your a fan of a Major SEC team, your games won't be on the SEC Network but once or twice all year (for football), what it's great for is when your a fan of a team that is NOT covered regularly on the major channels.

I wouldn't expect to see to many Bama, Fla, LSU type games on the network.

I think in the Big 10 each team is required to be on for 2 games a year.

The channel will not launch until just before football season NEXT YEAR (2014).

In any event DirecTV will be DEAD without it. Any person in the SEC's hard core footprint with a choice will move to the next option. Plus DirecTV has the contract with all the sports bars (BW3, etc). If people start going to a sports bar in search of games and get turned away, the sports bars WILL move on.

The channel will not launch until just before football season NEXT YEAR (2014).

In any event DirecTV will be DEAD without it. Any person in the SEC's hard core footprint with a choice will move to the next option. Plus DirecTV has the contract with all the sports bars (BW3, etc). If people start going to a sports bar in search of games and get turned away, the sports bars WILL move on.

So they will have it on before the football season in 2014 ... probably not till then.

I bet d add sec before the summer 2014 if not peoples be leaving like flies. SEC will be a strong selling point for d. everyone know the sec is the number one conference. It be a national channel just like the big ten. The reason the short horn not on d because Texas not been very good last 3 years.

I bet d add sec before the summer 2014 if not peoples be leaving like flies. SEC will be a strong selling point for d. everyone know the sec is the number one conference. It be a national channel just like the big ten. The reason the short horn not on d because Texas not been very good last 3 years.

Why would people be leaving like flies, as long as the SEC channel is up before the SEC Football season everything will be fine.

How do you consider it a National Channel when it's not on ALL systems, it will be available on D* as an ADD ON outside of the SEC area.

It is Not a Conus channel.

Not too sure about that Jimbo.

They are taking over ESPNU headquarters in Charlotte.
Listening to the presser it will be much bigger than Longhorn and PAC 12 network. Both affilates of ESPN.
How they market it remains to be seen.

Pac 12 Net is not affiliated with espn, it is wholly owned by the conference. I don't see how it can be any bigger than the Pac 12, with their 7 nets and all the olympic sports receive coverage.

I felt if espn was going to do it they should rebrand espnu or espn classic as the secnet, whether they do it or not remains to be seen. I still think it is going to be a tough sell to the providers, based on the current tv climate of rising prices and how espn has priced their other offerings. Re-brand an existing property, allow it to be in a sports only package, allow it to be offered ala carte or price it cheap enough to get into providers basic packages.

Pac 12 Net is not affiliated with espn, it is wholly owned by the conference. I don't see how it can be any bigger than the Pac 12, with their 7 nets and all the olympic sports receive coverage..

pac12 shot themselves in the foot with the multiple "versions" of the station depending on location. Big10 did it right...1 main station and overflow channels if need be

Dish carries the "main" one and game time overflow feeds only

I understand the concept of multiple subfeeds but why force the provider to carry all of them when 95% of the time its duplicate programming

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)