Second ebay bought reciver arrived

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Kevin, I'll keep my eyes open. There are a few thrift stores I frequent that are still open. The Goodwill in Lakeview is toast, as well as Thrift City in Mid City by Rock N Bowl. Those were the closest to where I live, and I had many good finds at them. Now I have to drive a little farther (Harahan) to get my thrift store fix. Another good one is the Bridge House Thrift Store near Causeway and Jefferson Hwy., going toward Ochsner Hospital. Haven't been to the Westbank recently, but there are a slew of them over there, and they're all still open.

You can get analog receivers from E-Bay, but unless they go for next to nothing on the bid, the shipping wouldn't be worth it...

Last edited:
Jimmy

You should know by now that they are not selling that sort of stuffnoit to mention that is a far ride from here. If you are silly enough to waste that much money in fuel to take such a chance that is your call. I don't cross that bridge unless its of utmost importance. You know as well as I do the only two places that carried that stuff was Red White and Blue and the Thrift Center on Tulane and Carolton Ave. Right now you have to call a number that most of the time is busy and when its not its a message saying everyone is busy to call back, its to make an appointment to go the the Salvation Army Thrift Store, you cant even walk in with out an appointment. We were given FEMA vouchers for three pieces of furniture, that was last month and Helen has tried every day to call to setup the appointment and has yet been able to get in touch with anybody.

I found a REPUTABLE dealer listed on the forum here that has what I (we) need and I willl by dealing with him directly from here on out, he has the equipment, knowledge, reputation and is a VERY nice person. I am not doing any more of that ebay "chance" buys to get stuck again.

On topic with the second receiver I got from ebay that arrived dead, that seller also finally emailed me and said he would refund me, however, he swore to me he tested it and it worked great when he packed it. I wonder how it is tested with a blown power supply and big El. Capacitor can rolling around inside of it as soon as I opened the box. I had not even plugged it in and noticed something lose inside the unit. This is what leaves me to wonder albeit he is refunding me, he is sticking by his story it worked :eek:

I for one do not believe him and also believe he never tested it. His sales are not in satellite gear, its junk and computer stuff.

I bought three receivers off eBay. The first two were used and very basic models (see my signature). The Samsung drove me nuts as I kept programming it based on Lyngsat information and THOUGHT I was doing everything right. This was my first receiver and my first attempt at DVB. Could not get decent signal locks and programming errors kept coming up. I was using a 10ft dish and it had not given me a problem when I had it hooked to the analog receiver. I thought for sure something was wrong with the receiver as both my C and Ku LNBs worked fine on the analog receiver.

Finally I stepped back and tried a different approach. Instead of going for the Ku stuff, and particularly G10R, I opted for a C band feed. Once I got the receiver programmed it worked. But the system was extremely touchy. So I got something I never needed for analog C and Ku bands in the previous 11 years of satellite viewing; a signal meter.

So back to G10R. I tried each of the transponders one by one instead of sticking with the first couple. Finally I got blip for a lock on one of the G10R Ku feeds. I bumped the dish back and forth using the analog receiver positioner and skew VERY carefully and finally got a lock on Ku. The signal meter was screaming at this point and with very careful touches of the EAST WEST buttons I could get the "sweet spot". It turns out this bird is VERY touch. Sometimes I get it, some times I don't. Once I got the finess to positioning the dish, other Ku birds and feeds were easy. So easy in fact I ran my receiver memory out of space. I then bought a second receiver, still very basic.

With this second receiver the programming and setup were a snap. I had this receiver running in about 15 minutes. My intentions were to set this up at my parents house. BIG MISTAKE. While I could finally get it to work, my parents setting the dish was never going to happen. Even if I put it on G10R and left the analog receiver off (so the dish would not move) any little wind storm messed up that plan.

I was able to keep re-discovering the channels for each section of the sky I wanted to watch. This got boring so I ordered a NEW modern receiver, complete with blind search, lots of memory, etc. I'd not used the dish in a couple weeks and simply unplugged the Samsung and added the new receiver. I could not get anything. Tried C-Band, tried Ku, nothing. So I started checking. Something apparently killed my LNBs because now I can't get a thing on Ku. C-Band works SOMETIMES on the analog side but there is something really messed up. At that time other more important things came up and TV became a back burner. Now I have time again so I'm back to experimenting. One thing I'm looking for is a particular TV show. Thus I'm now motivated and determined to get the new receiver working.

jollyrgr

I have one of those Quantum MSR 1500's and it took me 4 weeks to figure it out...until I read the manual slowly and found out about the 3 extra zeroes on the LO & the frequency :)
(first FTA box I ever bought)

I bought my receiver from somewhere other than ebay. I think best advice is to just buy expensive stuff from reputable folks (like sponsers here, etc), and save small purchases (like lnbs, etc.) for ebay, but only if reputable dealer prices are way too much... which ain't the case most of the time.

I bought a DMT 1000 receiver maybe 2-3 years ago on E-Bay. Thing would not power up/turn on. Seller tried saying since I did not pay for insurance i am out of luck. Thankfully Paypal got me my money back. But I agree, buy from a store that has a warranty etc

I've bought plenty of items on Ebay without any problems. Its all about checking out their prior auction sales, and their feedback. I also do google searches for their ebay name prior to buying expensive items.

Its all about what you buy... and who from. No biggy. But yes, support our Gold Dealers here :)

I have bought and sold thousands of items on ebay, and have been very lucky. I usually stay away from low or bad feedback sellers. Although I recently had some problems with a seller that had close to 2000 positive feedbacks. He has since been kicked off of ebay. As for paypal, the 3 or 4 times I have had to file with them, I have only gotten back about 50% of my money. Weird deal.

I've had A+ experiences as well. But......when it comes to something as important as a receiver, I'll deal with Sadoun, Dave's Web Shop or Mike Kohl. Also, it may take me awhile, but after I finally get my dish farm completed, I may end up with 2+ General Instruments 2400R receivers (maybe more if I keep looking around my neighborhoods for more BUD's). I may keep one as a spare, but anything extra I'll be getting rid of (for a song). Especially to anyone of this site------------very top-notch people!

SATisfied said:
I'd say that drhydro's good luck is in direct opposition to kevinn's bad luck.
I have been VERY lucky when it comes to sat recievers. I bought two recievers off of fleecebay, both of those work fine. One of my recievers came from a credit i was owed from a fairly respected web site (non site sponser), and it works fine. My latest acquistion is the Fortec Mercury, and no problems there either.

Sorry to hear you have had such bad luck kevinn.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)