Second home receiver help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dtvforadummy

Original poster
Apr 22, 2016
Put-in-bay, OH
I am in need of all the help I can get. Excuse me for being a complete dummy when it comes to DirecTv. I have a brand new DTV HR44-500 with 3 wireless connections at my home. I want to take my receiver to my vacation home so I brought the main box, its power source, a tripod slimline kit and the SWiM-0. I cannot for the life of me get the box to even recognize that it's connected to a dish. I keep getting error 775. I am having trouble finding anything recent to show me the proper wiring for what I have. Thank you in advance!!!

I am in need of all the help I can get. Excuse me for being a complete dummy when it comes to DirecTv. I have a brand new DTV HR44-500 with 3 wireless connections at my home. I want to take my receiver to my vacation home so I brought the main box, its power source, a tripod slimline kit and the SWiM-0. I cannot for the life of me get the box to even recognize that it's connected to a dish. I keep getting error 775. I am having trouble finding anything recent to show me the proper wiring for what I have. Thank you in advance!!!
By Power Source,, are you referring to the power cord (brick? I don't remember which have bricks and which are direct anymore) ....
Did you bring a Power Inserter ?
This supply's voltage to the LNB, without, you won't get anywhere.

If you want to keep it the same as the home (makes it much easier) you'll want to make sure you have a SWM LNB /dish (sounds like you have that.)

Make sure your tripod is plumb, get the correct setting for the area your moving to and slowly repoint the dish.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
By Power Source,, are you referring to the power cord (brick? I don't remember which have bricks and which are direct anymore) ....

If you want to keep it the same as the home (makes it much easier) you'll want to make sure you have a SWM LNB /dish (sounds like you have that.)

Make sure your tripod is plumb, get the correct setting for the area your moving to and slowly repoint the dish.

I have the receiver, power cord (with a brick in the middle) plenty of RG6 and also this SWM thing I wasn't sure I needed. I'll add some pics to clarify

I have the receiver, power cord (with a brick in the middle) plenty of RG6 and also this SWM thing I wasn't sure I needed. I'll add some pics to clarify. Not sure if I need the SWM piece at all- or should I hook the RG6 right into the box? (Looking for a good level to ensure it is plumb right now). Would it give me a 775 error if it's too far off from a satellite?

image.jpeg

To add to this.. The LNB doesn't seem to be getting power because the satellite finder included in the kit will not light up or respond in any way. I really think I have something hooked up wrong, but can't determine what that would be

the SWM power inserter is what supplies power to the LNB....won't work without it

Reactions: Jimbo
the SWM power inserter is what supplies power to the LNB....won't work without it
Do you see a PI in any of the pictures Tex ?

I have never dealt with RVU stuff, I'm guessing that, that equipment allows the TV to connect to the rest of the system ?

The PI should say odu swm only and two ports on it. One port will be red and it goes to the dish and the other port is white and it should go to the rec. (hr44) and then your meter should light up if it can handle 21volts!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Yeah ...

The other device pictured there is not a PI, but a USB DECA module which is really irrelevant in this situation at a vacation home.

Unless you have and want to make a wired connection of the HR44 to the internet while there for VOD, program start over, apps, etc.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

SWM SETUP.png
I see a power cord and a hdmi cable plugged into the back of your receiver but no coax. should have a coax line going from the receiver to the "TO IRD" port on the power inserter and then a coax line going from the "TO SWM" to the LNB. You do not need the green splitter with just one box unless you want your on demand to work in witch case you would need that and the palm sized box you posted labeled "power network rvu". Here's a picture with everything setup. Important to use red line as indicated if using the splitter. EDIT: just noticed you have a usb cord on your deca, you can plug that into the usb port on the back of the receiver to power the deca.

Last edited:
View attachment 116098 I see a power cord and a hdmi cable plugged into the back of your receiver but no coax. should have a coax line going from the receiver to the "TO IRD" port on the power inserter and then a coax line going from the "TO SWM" to the LNB. You do not need the green splitter with just one box unless you want your on demand to work in witch case you would need that and the palm sized box you posted labeled "power network rvu". Here's a picture with everything setup. Important to use red line as indicated if using the splitter. EDIT: just noticed you have a usb cord on your deca, you can plug that into the usb port on the back of the receiver to power the deca.
Thank you for the help! I left the 2nd most important part at home. There is a tangle of wires behind my main receiver at home and I didn't realize that what looked like a splitter was needed to supply power to the LNB. Will bring the proper equipment next wknd and try again :)

My earlier post is to a YouTube video that shows how to hook up a SWM LNB. Have you reviewed that?

I did view that video. Thank you :)

We are back for weekend #2 and I was careful to bring the PI. I got my satellite signal finder working with good signal, but still have the same 775 error. I triple checked my wiring according to the diagrams (I just skipped the green splitter)

I did view that video. Thank you :)

We are back for weekend #2 and I was careful to bring the PI. I got my satellite signal finder working with good signal, but still have the same 775 error. I triple checked my wiring according to the diagrams (I just skipped the green splitter)
Did you run a Repeat Sat Set Up ?

Yeah, we're a little worried about getting off the island tomorrow with tonight's storm. Thankfully DTV said the tech will do it for free. Thanks for everything.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)