Second Location Receiver turned off

bluezbear

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
Atlanta
Well, E* called and asked for info on my 4 receivers. They "knew" that two receivers were not at my main house. The other two receivers are in my lake house.

Seems their new technologh provides them with this info. In the end they said I have 48 hours to give required info on the 4 receivers. I gave info on two receivers and told them the other two were at the lake house. Well, they wanted to open a 2nd account. I was willing to do this until they wanted my full SS#, which I would not give them. So, they are turning off my other two receivers and they told me that I can't use them on my home account, EVER. I have to open a second account.

Sign me " piss on in marietta, ga".

Any comments?

Like, "You got caught" ?

Anyway, I can understand about the SS#. But yes, they are enforcing the rules as published.

Yep, you don't really have any arguements here. You were not complying with the rules. If you want to open another account, just open as a new customer at your lake house and get new equipment.

Welcome to the DISH AUDIT TEAM. They have sold more Directv systems than any other DISH policy. I wonder how much money they have cost DISH in lost subscribers?

Always makes me laugh that people are afraid to give their SS# out to multi-million dollar companies. They would not be in business this long or be so big by using SS#'s for illegal activites. But they are quick to produce a credit card when needed.
Number and expiration date is all that is needed to bankrupt ya.

papalittle said:
Always makes me laugh that people are afraid to give their SS# out to multi-million dollar companies. They would not be in business this long or be so big by using SS#'s for illegal activites. But they are quick to produce a credit card when needed.
Number and expiration date is all that is needed to bankrupt ya.

Wrong.... drink on that credit card number all day and all I have to pay is $0. All I have to pay by law is $50.

boba said:
Welcome to the DISH AUDIT TEAM. They have sold more Directv systems than any other DISH policy. I wonder how much money they have cost DISH in lost subscribers?
Nah, I think the dishplayer 7100 sold more Directv systems but audit team has to be a close second. :) If dish asks me for a SS # they are not getting it period.

bluezbear said:
Well, E* called and asked for info on my 4 receivers. They "knew" that two receivers were not at my main house. The other two receivers are in my lake house.

Are your lake house receivers connected to a phone line there?
Are your main house receivers also connected to a phone line?

Dish Info

jailbait said:
If dish asks me for a SS # they are not getting it period.
They can have anything they need from me...DATE OF BIRTH..SSN.....DATE OF MARRIAGE......MY OUTSIDE AFFAIRS...ANYTHING THEY NEED TO DO THEIR JOB. I would not have service with a company I can not trust with my information.

My response to an out of the blue call for my info is (hahahaha, *click*)

What stops any shmoe from calling houses saying they want information about your dish receivers. They may not get a hit every time, but if they did some home work (calling info to get a number based on a home address where they see dish's with the Dish logo on them). Suddenly they can get all sorts of info people would be silly enough to give out.

Dish-Direc said:
I guess any shmoe can turn off your receivers too.

I never said these shmoes weren't real dish people. But they put themselves in a bad position cold calling people, it allows for, what do they call it, social theft where someone shmoozes you into giving up information because you believe they are someone who they aren't.

VinceT3 said:
I never said these shmoes weren't real dish people. But they put themselves in a bad position cold calling people, it allows for, what do they call it, social theft where someone shmoozes you into giving up information because you believe they are someone who they aren't.

Absolutely correct. Be extra cautious giving out personal information.
Why should Dishnetwork require this information at this time of the agreement?
If required, it would be asked for at the beginning of the agreement.
This could be another of many on-going scams out there.

Clancy said:
Why should Dishnetwork require this information at this time of the agreement?
If required, it would be asked for at the beginning of the agreement.
This could be another of many on-going scams out there.

Unless he is already pre-approved, I think Dish needs to run a credit check again on him if he wants to open a second account. The best way to avoid scam is probably call back to a Dish number and open that second account.

New technology? Would this have anything to do with both locations being plugged into two different phone lines... that would be the only way they know your receivers are in different locations. The dish(es) on your roof(s) are one way, they receive a signal. OR You probably got caught in the random audit process... either way it does suck!

bluezbear said:
Seems their new technologh provides them with this info...

abricko said:
New technology? Would this have anything to do with both locations being plugged into two different phone lines... that would be the only way they know your receivers are in different locations. The dish(es) on your roof(s) are one way, they receive a signal. OR You probably got caught in the random audit process... either way it does suck!

This is where IP phones could hurt them.. Having the same number in multiple locations all off different ips.. no way for them to figure it out.. Maybe that's why they say it doesn't work with IP phones..

I've thought about IP phones but how do you get the same number in multiple locations most services i've looked into allow one adapter per number.

VinceT3 said:
This is where IP phones could hurt them.. Having the same number in multiple locations all off different ips.. no way for them to figure it out.. Maybe that's why they say it doesn't work with IP phones..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts