second receiver

littlebill

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 18, 2003
question? i have the 922 in the living room and would like to add a second hd receiver in another roon. not sure what is involved in adding the second receiver as far as installing it . all rooms are wired with rg6. what else would be involed ?regards...

question? i have the 922 in the living room and would like to add a second hd receiver in another roon. not sure what is involved in adding the second receiver as far as installing it . all rooms are wired with rg6. what else would be involed ?regards...

Nothing special is really required. The technicians will have everything needed at the time they do the install. Only thing you may want to get is an HDMI cable if you plan on using one, the tech will have them, but they sell them for $20. If you meant to install it yourself, depending on your setup you may or may not need a different switch to give you the spot to hookup the other receiver. If you have one that will work then all you should have to do is run a cable from the switch into (possible) Diplexor if you're getting a duo receiver into a splitter to give you signal to both SAT-IN inputs then run a RG6 cable from the Home Distribution spot into the second TV. If it's a solo just running the cable from the switch to the receiver should be fine.

Sorry tony, but the best answer would still be to have a dns tech out for your upgrade. I don't foresee any problems if the rooms are pre-wired, unless they go through an on-q and there are no more home run feeds available. May sound unlikely, but I've seen plenty of it.

Nothing special is really required. The technicians will have everything needed at the time they do the install. Only thing you may want to get is an HDMI cable if you plan on using one, the tech will have them, but they sell them for $20. If you meant to install it yourself, depending on your setup you may or may not need a different switch to give you the spot to hookup the other receiver. If you have one that will work then all you should have to do is run a cable from the switch into (possible) Diplexor if you're getting a duo receiver into a splitter to give you signal to both SAT-IN inputs then run a RG6 cable from the Home Distribution spot into the second TV. If it's a solo just running the cable from the switch to the receiver should be fine.
thank you both for you response...regards

That wasn't me Vash! :D:D It wasn't even close to half a page! LOL

While I will agree with Vash and say that the "best" scenario is having a technician do the job, it is mainly due to the tools and parts being available and other then the tech visit, and there is no additional costs for them. I still have to concede that a capable DIY'r with a grasp on things can do the job him- or her-self. The cost is really the only place I throw the caution. With an HD receiver on the account, the likelihood is that there is an HD dish of some kind with an open port. Even in a hybrid install, there would be an empty port on the LNBF or switch. The pre-existing RG6 just needs to connect to that empty port and may require an "extension" to do so.

Littlebill, if you don't already have the tools and do have a Service Plan, I would say get a tech, the cost being only $15. For everything you need to install a new box, to include separators and diplexors if needed, plus tools, fittings, and cable, even the $95 without a Service Plan may end up being the most cost effective way to go (sad but true). Being that this website caters to the self-help movement more so then drumming up business, I would always give you both options as TommyF did. We can readily explain the parts and tools list you would need to Do-It-Yourself.

The other thing I would mention to you is that if the only reason for a new receiver is HD capability and not additional recordings or other features, you may find a simpler installation in the future. Scott made mention of the new Sling Receiver 300U in his CES vid (awesome BTW) which will be available in the [relatively] near future, and with a purchase, the monthly rate should remain the same. Another receiver unto itself guarantees the opposite, and your monthly charges would go up a minimum of $7 with that option, regardless of who installs it. Being that you have the ViP922, you will have options. I guess it boils down to how soon this change needs to happen for you, how comfortable you are with directions via SatGuys, and even what tools you will need in the tool belt ;).

I guess it depends what you want to do and when. I am pretty sure the vast amounts of resources and know-how in this forum can get you taken care of however you choose to proceed. P.S. Also, are you talking about a purchased receiver or a leased one?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)