Second TV HD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rocklin_rebel

Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
Hopefully this hasn't been posted before, but we recently subscribed to Dish HD and ordered the 622 HD DVR to feed 2 TV's. 1 TV for HD and 1 standard def.

On the standard def TV I can see the HD channels but of course they're not displayed in HD since it's only a coax cable.

Can I just buy another HD receiver and hook it up, since the second TV is HD ready, or do I have to go through Dish Network.

I thought I saw a thread which mentioned the signal from the coax is downconverted HD signal?

Thanks

if you want the second tv to be hd, then you'd just be using another reciever.

you can go ahead and buy one online if thats what you want

I just wanted to make sure the signal output from the coax connection of the 622 DVR is legit HD signal, since the additional HD channels show up at the second TV.

Thanks

no it isn't

you'd have to get a second dish hd receiver and hook it up directly to the satellite.

Dang, that's what I was afraid of. It sound like I'll have to get Dish involved for some re-wiring, unless I can do it myself? Any thoughts? Can I split the signal?

I just looked at my receiver and there are 2 cables going to both satellite inputs. It looks like I can just grab 1 of them and send it directly to another HD receiver and then to my TV and I'm done.

The only thing is I'll lose my DVR capability on the second TV, unless I buy another VIP622 as opposed to the HD receiver without DVR.

Sound about correct?

I'm not sure on the 622 but on other receivers you need to have "both" cables connected to the back of the receiver for it to work at all.

The 622 is a dual tuner and you need both cable feeds for it to work. If you use Dish Pro Plus equipment (DPP Twin lnb or DPP44 switch), you can feed a dual tuner with a single cable feed.

Why don't you call Dish Network and see what they can do for you? They would install a DPP Twin to feed both receivers.

I just disconnected one of the satellite cable inputs to the HD receiver, and my main TV still works OK. The next test is to take the cable I disconnected (second satellite input to receiver) and connect it to the other TV to see if it works.

I won't be able to do that until tomorrow.

I just want to make sure if a buy another HD receiver it's going work.

I just looked at my receiver and there are 2 cables going to both satellite inputs. It looks like I can just grab 1 of them and send it directly to another HD receiver and then to my TV and I'm done.

Do you really mean 2 cables going to each input (total of 4)? Or do you mean 2 total. If it is really a total of 4 then yes you can just take 2 of them to the new receiver. If you mean there are only 2 total then no. You need both for the box to work properly.

I just disconnected one of the satellite cable inputs to the HD receiver, and my main TV still works OK. The next test is to take the cable I disconnected (second satellite input to receiver) and connect it to the other TV to see if it works.

I won't be able to do that until tomorrow.

I just want to make sure if a buy another HD receiver it's going work.

It may look like it works right now, but it won't forever.

If you are not worried about separate programming, there are items that extend a component signal. You could use that to feed two HD TVs without a seperate receiver. Just a thought.

If you are not worried about separate programming, there are items that extend a component signal. You could use that to feed two HD TVs without a seperate receiver. Just a thought.

Funny you mention that -- I currently have a 622 in the living room, 211 in the bedroom. Run the 622 in single mode, the bedroom TV has a feed to the 622 as well. Almost always, when I want to watch something from the 622 in the bedroom, nobody is watching anything in the living room. In the rare cases that this is not the case, I will switch to dual mode. Obviously, I watch live TV in the bedroom via the 211.

However, I've been considering buying a 50-75 foot HDMI cable to run from the 622 to the bedroom TV. Living room TV is hooked up via component, so the HDMI port is free. This would allow me to watch recordings from the 622 in the bedroom, in HD, as long as nobody is in the living room watching TV.

Cables are nicely priced at monoprice, just haven't committed to buying it, and more importantly, running the cable. :)

That would be nice if I could use only 1 receiver. I don't really care about separate programming. Problem may be that even though the HDMI port is free on my 622, the second TV only has the RCA type HD input connections, and it's downstairs.

tsc, can you explain a little more about your setup? Your living room and bedroom have feeds from the 622? From what outputs? Also I'm a little confused what single and dual mode mean. Thanks.

R_R - Can you connect the HDMI from the 622 to your upstairs TV? If so then you have what you need! Both the HDMI and component connections are live at the same time. Those 3 RCA jacks (R-G-B) on your TV are the component connections. Run coax cables from the component outputs on the 622 to the TV downstairs (along with L+R audio) and you'll have HD at that TV as well! Of course you'll be seeing the same programming on both TVs. Put the 622 in Single mode then you can use the UHF remote at the downstairs TV to control the 622. You can buy a pre-made cable to do this, or make one yourself from RG-6 coax. Others here have reported good results with runs up to 75'...

I was thinking along those lines also. I could use the HDMI from the 622 for the upstairs TV and use the component connections for the downstairs TV. Currently I have 1 coax cable running downstairs. It sounds like what you're saying is I'll need 5 separate coax cables? Where can I get a pre-made cable to do this? Thanks for all the input.

"It sounds like what you're saying is I'll need 5 separate coax cables? Where can I get a pre-made cable to do this?"

That's correct. You can use any good RG6 cable but you'll need to terminate the end with RCA compression connectors.

This site has some good deals:
http://www.techtoolsupply.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=67

How long is the run to downstairs? You could buy pre-made Component cable up to 100 ft. here:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...cs_id=1023501&p_id=2672&seq=1&format=2&style=

Looks like I have some work to do. I appreciate all the input. It's been hard finding answers for all this stuff. Now I'll have to see about running cables.
Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)