Secondary residence question

dfjksd454

Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
michigan
Hi my first post here. I currently have dish for my primary residence and I am under contract. I recently purchased a cottage where I plan to spend only summers. The cottage already has a dish on the roof and is wired for it. Can I just get a box and turn it on for the summer months or do I have to pay for the whole year like I do for my primary residence?

Carry your receiver with you. Each time you hook it up run a check switch and you should be good to go.

THIS is the place to get your questions answered. Stick around and join the party!

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Hi my first post here. I currently have dish for my primary residence and I am under contract. I recently purchased a cottage where I plan to spend only summers. The cottage already has a dish on the roof and is wired for it. Can I just get a box and turn it on for the summer months or do I have to pay for the whole year like I do for my primary residence?
If you purchase a receiver you can install it at the cottage and turn it on for a week/ a month/ or what ever time frame you want. Owned equipment doesn't have to be returned when you stop the subscription. Leased equipment has to be returned when you deactivate it.

If you purchase a receiver you can install it at the cottage and turn it on for a week/ a month/ or what ever time frame you want. Owned equipment doesn't have to be returned when you stop the subscription. Leased equipment has to be returned when you deactivate it.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but can I add a 211k to an account with 2 hoppers? I'm thinking of buying and keeping one at my apartment and only activating it when I'm there which is maybe once a month and deactivating it once I leave. I know I can't keep it there while its active on my account due to account stacking policies.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but can I add a 211k to an account with 2 hoppers? I'm thinking of buying and keeping one at my apartment and only activating it when I'm there which is maybe once a month and deactivating it once I leave. I know I can't keep it there while its active on my account due to account stacking policies.

If the Hoppers are not going to your apartment and you active the 211 on the account, that is what is known as "Account Stacking" - active receivers at two or more locations being used at the same time.

Yes, you can activate a single owned ViP211 on a Hopper account. But to remain within the rules, you can only have one location using receivers at a time.

Yes, you can activate a single owned ViP211 on a Hopper account. But to remain within the rules, you can only have one location using receivers at a time.

I thought so. I just want my locals at the apartment but they are a PITA to get OTA. I will keep searching for the perfect OTA antenna then.

If you have decent Internet at both locations, you could Sling to get what you want. Maybe the apartment has free WiFi?

If you have decent Internet at both locations, you could Sling to get what you want. Maybe the apartment has free WiFi?

I've got high speed 5mb/2mb there, the problem is getting the picture on the TV for the wife to enjoy. I tried with airplay to my apple tv but it only works 50% of the time since i've got 1mbps of upload at home and the apple tv only wants HD. My sling only works flawlessly with SD.

I also got an old hp desktop but I need a graphics card with DVI in order to get hd to the tv since it only has a vga port.

I've got high speed 5mb/2mb there, the problem is getting the picture on the TV for the wife to enjoy. I tried with airplay to my apple tv but it only works 50% of the time since i've got 1mbps of upload at home and the apple tv only wants HD. My sling only works flawlessly with SD.

I also got an old hp desktop but I need a graphics card with DVI in order to get hd to the tv since it only has a vga port.

While it is a more expensive option, it will get high quality HDTV directly to your TV with ease that other methods can't: you could invest in a Slingbox (the newest models are the less expensive SlngBox 350 or the more expensive SlingBox 500) to Sling your content to the remote location. At the remote location, you would need at least a WD Live (cheapest model is $65--WD Live has best reviews) or the Sony Internet Player with Google TV or the Netgera Neo TV or the now discontinued BoxeeBox that all have the SlingPlayer app pre-loaded and ready to use. The attached device "catches" the sling content and then you just connect the output of the device to your HDTV. The SlingBox can Sling just about any devices output such as a DVR, Blu-ray player, gaming device, DVR, etc. You could connect the SlingBox to your Hopper OR your Joey.

Again, this method gives you the best HDTV PQ with an experience like at home and without tying up your mobile devices that can only provide inferior PQ to your HDTV. Good luck.

Can you have that VIP211K on a Hopper Account without having an TV Registration?

What do you mean by "TV Registration?"

NOTHING from Dish is locked to a particular TV.

In that case, meaning RV reg, YES. In fact, you don't WANT an RV reg. The ViP211 was meant for tailgating anyway, not RVs.

The account/stacking police are out again. Used to be if you had a lot of receivers they would call and force you to verify all were at the same location.

Yesterday I got the call, I have 2 Hoppers, 1 Joey and a 211k here. Had to verify each one and got extra questions about the 211k. Not sure if they would have turned it off if I hadn't answered the questions properly. Asked if I had an RV reg. which I don't. I told her that we used it when camping in the station wagon. Not sure what would happen if I told her it was being used all the time in the bedroom. She also had me read the line about the Device line in settings which for mine is DPP44 (switch) which is needed if you have a Hopper/Joey along with a 211. Anyway, I guess I passed the test. It very much annoyed me however.:mad:

sent from my etch-a-sketch:)

The account/stacking police are out again. Used to be if you had a lot of receivers they would call and force you to verify all were at the same location.

Yesterday I got the call, I have 2 Hoppers, 1 Joey and a 211k here. Had to verify each one and got extra questions about the 211k. Not sure if they would have turned it off if I hadn't answered the questions properly. Asked if I had an RV reg. which I don't. I told her that we used it when camping in the station wagon. Not sure what would happen if I told her it was being used all the time in the bedroom. She also had me read the line about the Device line in settings which for mine is DPP44 (switch) which is needed if you have a Hopper/Joey along with a 211. Anyway, I guess I passed the test. It very much annoyed me however.:mad:

sent from my etch-a-sketch:)

Are all of your receivers connected to broadband?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)