Status
Please reply by conversation.

johnml

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
fort lauderdale
O.K. so i paid $5.00 for it

To get this deal may require some negotiating with DTV.
Read this completely before calling.

----------------------

PREFACE: Notes about the HR10-250

DTV extended its deal with TIVO for 3 more years but DTV is coming out with
a NON TIVO, feature poor, HD DVR in the Summer or by the end of 2006.
It does support MP4 standard, which allows you to get local stations digital
without an off air antenna.
However since HD TIVO works fine with an off air antenna for digital local
stations, this is not an issue, making the TIVO still a better unit. If
you have ever used a TIVO, you know how great it is.
DTV's vanilla DVR that they are going to sell in the summer is NOT a TIVO
and lacks all the great features and functions.
Legally they cannot use TIVO features due to TIVO patents on the software.
___
INSTRUCTIONS!

As a DirectTV customer, call customer retention. 1-800-824-9081

Customer retention is a special department dedicated to retaining DTV
customers that are looking to leave DTV for other providers. DirecTV
values each subscription, over the lifetime of service, at $3000.

STEP 1:

Call the number 1-800-824-9081.

Step 2:

The current deal is $499, with $100 off. They might take $200 off. Getting
you to $299.
But they will offer Free HBO, and perhaps HD package and $$ off your bill
for a year. So you net price may actually be lower than $199 after all is
said and done. And there is NO 2 year commitment ANY more. There is NO
REBATE NECCESSARY now. They have moved to a lease model, so you also benefit
from lifetime and immediate warranty support.

If they are not being generous, ask them what they WILL do.
BE prepared to negotiate.
The following items are good items to ask for, IF they will not give you
one time credit, or monthly credits.

1) Free or discounted Terrestrial Receiver for HD local stations.
2) $2 a month premium service for 6 months, HBO, SHOWTIME, CINEMAX,
STARZ. Sometimes its FREE, not even $2. Ask for it free first.
3) HD Dish and install FREE
4) HD programming package FREE for 6 months, OR $2 a month

NOTE: The longer you have been a DTV customer, the more generous they will
be.

Make sure they know you have been a loyal customer and that you have turned
down offers to go to DISH network or Digital Comcast recently because you
are loyal to DTV.

Do not mention who who referred you to the retention department. Say you
were transferred by customer service.

Different customer reps have different flexibility or willingness to help
you get this deal.
Many people tell us that male customer service reps are more willing to offer
this deal than female. Strange but true.

You may put it on your bill, rather than pay by credit card if you
like.
They may charge a small installation or handling fee.

Final Technique

If all else fails, NO MATTER WHAT, you are almost certainly eligible
for
the non HD Tivo below. Depending on your length of service, the more
generous they tend to be.
70 Hour Series 2 DVR for FREE ($99 less $99 discount), no commitment, on
monthly lease.

Plus they will still offer you FREE HBO for 6 months and perhaps a few other
treats. So regardless of how you benefit from this info, you will have learned
the secret to getting big discounts from DTV for your DTV service for the
future.

PS: If you ever have a problem with DTV, be it billing, or ANYTHING, Call
this number. These people have high level supervisor rights and can fix
almost any problem and do it in 2 minutes.

THIS ALONE is worth the price of the info. This hotline is priceless for
getting deals, promos, billing problems fixed. You name it!

Thanks for reading and best of luck...

johnml,

How do you know that the new MPEG4 HD DVR will be a plain jane ? Just because it doesn't say TIVO ?

I have yet to see any final specs that show exactly what the HR-20-250 will have feature wise.

If you like or love as some have TIVO you may not like the new one... fine, those who have not used a TIVO will not notice the difference.

Legally they cannot use TIVO features due to TIVO patents on the software.
But that doesn't prevent them from making slight changes to any of the features they like and write thier own software for it.

If the patent issue was as strict as some think, there would not be ANY other DVR's out there, because they all work on the same premise,to RECORD TV in some fashion or other...

Just think , we would ALL drive the SAME CAR .........

There will be some differences and some simularities.
Seeing it is taking a bit longer than originally thought, lets hope that are placing some of these features.

Who says D* cannot come up with some features that others would like to have as well...... I know, it might be a wish list, but ya never know.

Jimbo

I don't know - the info i posted is what some guy is selling on ebay ( and alot of people are buying it ) I offered $5.00 and received the " secret info " and felt like sharing :D

personally, i have both the standard and HI-DEF tivo and love 'em - anything is better than a VCR huh ?

johnml said:
I don't know - the info i posted is what some guy is selling on ebay ( and alot of people are buying it ) I offered $5.00 and received the " secret info " and felt like sharing :D

personally, i have both the standard and HI-DEF tivo and love 'em - anything is better than a VCR huh ?

Well.. yah .. but whens the last time you used one? (VCR)

I have a DVR but only SD. If I cannot be home to see my programming, I record it in SD, unfortunatly.

I had thought about buying one of the HD DVR's awhile back, but there is no firewire available to transfer a HD signal to the unit yet, so it would only work for the OTA programming I watch at the time.

At the time, I did not want to tie all my equipment into one D* receiver... IF the D* receiver dies I am done, if my DVR died , I could still watch TV.

I still feel that way, perfer seperate units, but am seroiusly considereing the NEW HD DVR when it comes out.

One other draw back is you cannot move any of your recorded info to DVD 's and what happens with your important programming you've recorded if the unit goes bad.... Is there any way to get your recording back or moved to your new DVR ?

Jimbo

Thanks for posting that johnml. I was curious as well.

Everyone here needs to remember that there are millions of satellite customers, but less than 50k of them are satguys.us members. I bet that are quite a few people paying him the 5 bucks for this info.

Interesting thought ;)

bigpro said:
Thanks for posting that johnml. I was curious as well.

Everyone here needs to remember that there are millions of satellite customers, but less than 50k of them are satguys.us members. I bet that are quite a few people paying him the 5 bucks for this info.

Interesting thought ;)

True - he sell's the info for $15.00 with a best offer, and he took the $5.00 ( curiosity just got the best of me i guess ). just by reading his feedback, he's sold quite a bit. people email me when they read the neutral feedback i left with the info to call retention and i send 'em here. this site rocks as far as available information. just wanted to share-

Jimbos said:
How do you know that the new MPEG4 HD DVR will be a plain jane ? Just because it doesn't say TIVO ?

I have yet to see any final specs that show exactly what the HR-20-250 will have feature wise.
One can presume that it will at least be similar to the R15.
If you like or love as some have TIVO you may not like the new one... fine, those who have not used a TIVO will not notice the difference.
By definition, if they've never used a Tivo there's no way they could notice the difference. :)
Legally they cannot use TIVO features due to TIVO patents on the software. But that doesn't prevent them from making slight changes to any of the features they like and write thier own software for it.
You'd think that, but then the R15 doesn't have wishlists, and AFAIK is still waiting on things like dual live buffers, etc. :)

cheer said:
One can presume that it will at least be similar to the R15.
By definition, if they've never used a Tivo there's no way they could notice the difference. :)You'd think that, but then the R15 doesn't have wishlists, and AFAIK is still waiting on things like dual live buffers, etc. :)

It has already been posted that the HR-20-250 has the same core as the R-15, but that doesn't nessasarally mean it has the same features as the R-15

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By definition, if they've never used a Tivo there's no way they could notice the difference.

Perfect, you made my point.
If you have never had a TIVO, you would get the new DVR and not have any expectations of all ythe TIVO stuff and have a less biased opinion of the new unit ....
Afterall, thats what I want, when it comes out, info from non TIVO people. Everyone with a TIVO will be bashing it, it's already happening and you have nothing to compare it with yet.
I doesn't do this like the TIVO it doesn't do that like the TIVO.

People lets give the new DVR a chance, if you all love your TIVO's stick with them. I want to see the new stuff and see what they can make better.

Maybe, just Maybe, the reason for the slow delivery is because they are tweaking it so that it works flawlessly when it gets here.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)