Secular stations with GloryStar

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iKnowZeroSat

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
im about to order a Glorystar system and wondered...how complicated is it to get more FTA stations? what should i order with the system or get later???
thanks a million!

The glorystar system is aimed at 2 satellites
G25 @97W & AMC4 @ 101W

check thelist for other channels on there....if you want more than just those 2 sats, I suggest getting a motor

I know the Glorystar system will automatically update with the G* channels when there are new ones but that can be disabled

it says on their site "For an additional investment in equipment that may require a somewhat complicated setup process, you can purchase a motorized dish that allows you to point at several different satellites. These satellites will provide a total of approximately 300 channels"
i also see optional LNB'S AND people running an extra Dish
im confused
if i just get a motorized dish with the pkg should i be able to get tons of channels???
also THANKS Iceberg

take your time

If you are interested in the Glorystar system for the services it provides, by all means get it.
Get your feet wet, and gain some experience.
Both with the receiver, and with the dish install.

Then later, if you choose, you could add a motor, or you could add an additional dish.
The fixed dish is easier; the motor is more difficult.
But, after installing the basic Glorystar system, you'll have an idea how much difficulty we are talking about. :)

For a beginner's overview of some of the satellite channels available, the FTAlist is helpful.
Especially if non-English languages are useful to your family.

Personally, I wanted the Glorystar package and got it. That got my intrest up for the other FTA, I scanned in the rest on both birds - no extra cost or much time involved. The DVR system gets the weekly auto update. The Fortec system is not DVR and also does not update. I now have the DVR and added switches and a Fortec receiver so I can record Glorystar and still scan other channels. I have also added several ther dishes. I feel the way I entered free to air was very good, since I did not waste money on equipment I would not use or that which was junk.
This may be information overload, or answering question you did not know to ask. :)

Thank You Everyone.
i will be ordering the DVR System monday. the motorized one looks a bit too scary to me. im torn weather to get another dish now or later?
Is there alot to get to use another sat??? what will i need and what FTA stations do people like? sorry im so new to this.

alot of folks like G18 (123W) as that has alot of English channels

a separate dish isnt that bad. A few of us have multiple dishes set up

You probably can find free dishes near where you are. A free dishnetwork dish & lnb will get NASA and Angelone. I think Brian is shipping the 4 port switch with the systems Glorystar sends out, so connecting that up will be free! That dish will be too small for anything else. But you may find a Primestar Dish near you. What state or locale are you in? You may be a neighbor to someone who can help you find one.

After you have your Glorystar system up and running you can always experiment a bit, with zero additional investment. By temporarily re-aiming the Glorystar dish at other satellites, you can hone you dish pointing skills and see for yourself what sort of programming is available elsewhere in the arc. Then decide if an upgrade to a motorized or multi-dish system is right for you.

For now, all you would need to do is give some thought to your choice of dish location - try to choose a spot that has a clear line-of-sight to not just the Glorystar satellites, but as much of the rest of the arc as practical.

So I assume that the Glorystar receivers can pick up any channel that the other FTA receivers can pick up but the other FTA receivers cannot pick up the Glorystar channels?

Stargazer
Both pick up the same signals. im looking at glorystar for its support,self-update(religious) channels,and in my case a pkg deal so i can spend less time getting started. though it points to 2 satellites i wish i could start off with more.
i know i ask alot...something like G* 10R WOULD BE NICE.

Glorystar GEOSATpro DVR1100c and DSR100c receivers are in many ways a FTA receiver and can scan for FTA channels like any other receiver, but they have several features that standard FTA receivers will not support. Examples are the ability to auto or manual update the firmware directly from the satellite, sync time from a single transponder rather than syncing to varying time settings on each MUX, auto updating the Glorystar channels if activated as a Glorystar system and also receiving the Glorystar 5 promotional channels which are used for programming and technical announcements. These receivers will also support several upcoming features like Glorystar electronic program guide and Kareoke channels. The multi-CAS card reader supports subscription to pay services.

So I assume that the Glorystar receivers can pick up any channel that the other FTA receivers can pick up but the other FTA receivers cannot pick up the Glorystar channels?

You can start with a standard Glorystar system an add additional dishes or a motorized dish for reception of other satellites.

I have my home system configured to have the standard dish for AMC4 and Galaxy19 and also a motorized dish for surfing the other birds. I enjoy the ability to instantly select any Glorystar channel and update my receiver firmware and play with the test features that we will be activating for customers and also be able to scan or view other satellites, channels or wild feeds.

The GEOSATpro DVR1100c and DSR100c channel lists are compatible with Channel Master, so it is easy to customize or modify your satellite and channel lists.

Stargazer
Both pick up the same signals. im looking at glorystar for its support,self-update(religious) channels,and in my case a pkg deal so i can spend less time getting started. though it points to 2 satellites i wish i could start off with more.
i know i ask alot...something like G* 10R WOULD BE NICE.

im dont understand how the Channel Master works.... if You have 2 receivers and 2 dishes does the channel master somehow control both???

Channelmaster is a program that allows you to edit satellite names & channels in the receiver without using the remote (computer based program)

Glorystar1 was just making that note for the more advanced FTA'ers ;)

Help sececting right equipment

i need help knowing what to order.
This will be my first system and i will be going with a GloryStar system. i do plan on getting the new multi-room setup coming out soon.
im sure i will at least want one more sat ( 10R?) in the future. knowing in advance i prob will get another Dish,want multi room(2),and Yes would like to record both off both dishes onto a PVR i get totally lost!
Example if i order a GloryStar system with PVR CAN i record off both Dishes???
i don't know weather ill go motorized on the second dish or not. i need to know what equipment ,what switches,what DiSEqC etc
im totally new at this and have asked a few questions but still need help
thanks Everyone!!!
im ready :hungry:

Does this make sense to you:
You can only make 1 Record per Satellite Tuner.
Some PVR Boxes have 2 Tuners, so you can record 1 channel, while watching a different channel.

When you go with the multi-room setup, each receiver has its own private view of whatever satellites you have setup. While your receiver can only tune one satellite at a time, unless it has dual tuners as Lak7 mentions, the receiver can switch between multiple dishes / satellite locations easily and automatically.

Check the switching post in the FAQ. There are pretty detailed diagrams of different switching scenarios.

If you have a multi-room capable Glorystar setup and are using a 4 port DiSEQc switch for 97/101 access you can easily add two more satellite locations. You could go with a 123/129 dish, or a 123 dish plus a 3rd dish pointing somewhere else completely. As long as you use dual output LNBFs they can be shared between multiple receivers.

Your two receivers, each with a 4x1 DiSEQc switch, would be able to independently switch between all 4 locations, one at a time, and record or watch programming.

Bear in mind that a two tuner unit needs to be considered as two receivers from cabling perspective. It will take up both ports of a dual output LNBF setup. If you want to go from only 2 receivers to 3 or more you will need a multiswitch setup, which is also listed over in the switching section.

Also some PVR receivers can watch another channel on the same transponder as one that you are recording. I don't know if the Glorystar PVR can do this or not.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)