See the world without 129.

steve4810

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 27, 2006
Is there an easy way to see all the channels I'll be missing by stopping reception of the 129 bird short of putting an aluminum foil cap on the LNB? In other words can I do this with any setting on my 622?

And yes I know about "The List" here but using that, it isn't that easy to get a sense of how bad it would be and so living without 129 for some period of time would be a lot more instructive.

I have a Dish1000.2 on the house and I am putting a 211 in my travel trailer that just has a DishPro500 at the moment.

You COULD point the DISH 500 at 119/129. It's not officially supported, but it works.

In other words, depending on your situation, you might prefer losing 110 to losing 129.

You won't get the HD channels except for: USA, Espn, HD Theather, TNT, HD Net, Sci Fi, and HD Net Movies. Also HBO and Showtime are on 110.

As far as your locals, where are you located? Some locals come from 129.

As far as your locals, where are you located? Some locals come from 129.
My locals are on 110 here in San Diego.

From what everybody has said so far it looks like foil on the 129 lnb is the way to go.

More about the list in my case: I have 98 events on timers right now some so old have no idea what channel they are on like Tougher in Alaska or Ice Road Truckers or Cosmos or The Universe. I need to just live without 129 long enough to see whether I want to spend the time and money getting a Dish1000 for a trailer that at this point in my life is (unfortunately) only getting 10 to 20 days a year out of the driveway.

Actually if Dish doesn't find a way to *not* do what they said they will, I'll just be watching recorded shows on the 211 via the EHD from the 622 while it's at home continuing to record all my favorites. In this case about the only thing I'd need any dish at all for is news and weather.

What about the other, 51.5?
On the west coast where I am 61.5 is very low in the eastern sky. Untess you are lucky and live on the east side of hill a "wing" satellite here is 148 and is pretty high in the western sky. But so far I don't need it at all... until the western arc gets going(gulp). Then it's anybody's guess.

My locals are on 110 here in San Diego.

From what everybody has said so far it looks like foil on the 129 lnb is the way to go.

More about the list in my case: I have 98 events on timers right now some so old have no idea what channel they are on like Tougher in Alaska or Ice Road Truckers or Cosmos or The Universe.

I'm pretty sure that all those shows are only in HD on 129 or 61.5 ...

Hmm.... I wonder if pointing a Dish500 at 119/129, then strapping a single LNB on the side for 110 would work? 110 has a lot more signal than 129 does, so the attenuation may be acceptable. Kind of a poor man's Dish 1000.

Steve, why not just hook up your 211 to the dish 500 in your rv for a little test spin.
When it gets here I will!

I couldn't wait so I ordered it... Of course the plan had been to make a single purchase of the 211 and a new dish, if needed. I thought I might have gotten a slightly better deal and saved a little on freight.

But since I bought the 19 inch kitchen/patio/guest room/trailer HD flat screen last Sunday I couldn't wait to fire it, up even if the trailer is in the driveway.

Hmm.... I wonder if pointing a Dish500 at 119/129, then strapping a single LNB on the side for 110 would work? 110 has a lot more signal than 129 does, so the attenuation may be acceptable. Kind of a poor man's Dish 1000.
Thanks.

I'll keep that in mind for a possible July project if it looks like I wont be able to get away from the house in the next 90 days.

When it gets here I will!

I couldn't wait so I ordered it... Of course the plan had been to make a single purchase of the 211 and a new dish, if needed. I thought I might have gotten a slightly better deal and saved a little on freight.

But since I bought the 19 inch kitchen/patio/guest room/trailer HD flat screen last Sunday I couldn't wait to fire it, up even if the trailer is in the driveway.

Your op didn't say you didn't have the equipment, but it is still a good idea. Who wants to be in the middle of nowhere and find you have all kinds of problems.

Your op didn't say you didn't have the equipment, but it is still a good idea. Who wants to be in the middle of nowhere and find you have all kinds of problems.
Sorry, I thought you all could read my mind. :D

It might work as I can remember strapping a 101 LNB on the side of the 110 LNB on a Dish500 and it worked pretty well.

Wow, 129 I guess sure does suck. Not to sound cocky or anything but I love my 61.5... so reliable.
Not only does 129 suck but if you live in the northwest or southwest corner of the country you have to strain to get a signal from the very edge of the beam. Really suxs.

They say one of the next birds is supposed to replace the current 129 bird with a lot more powerful one. That can't happen too soon for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts