Seeking advice on long range antennas -- Low/Hi VHF desired

suburbanites

Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Monroe, NY
TV Fool Report attached

I'm in the NYC DMA, about 42 miles from the transmitters, but on a 2Edge signal with some terrain issues. The two strongest stations I could get are a religious broadcaster and an informmercial station about 30 miles north (neither really desired). I've been considering an OTA setup to augment my current DirecTV install since they do not carry the digital sub-channels, nor all local channels. Specifically, I'd like to get WKOB (2) out of New York for Retro TV, WPIX Digital 11.4 for Antenna TV, WPIX 11.3 for THIS TV, and perhaps a couple more of the sub-channels. My local cable provide does not give all of those options, nor are all available easily on FTA Satellite,

Based on my TVFOOL report, does anyone have any suggestions on the correct antenna/pre-amp combination to boost a signal enough for watchability? I can outside mount the antenna on a roof (or minimally to a pole that brings it away from the roof line and well above it. Cable run wouldn't be very long through the attic to the single TV desired.

Any and all advice appreciated, many thanks!

Since you want channel 2, you need the Winegard 8200U - try that first and get it up as high as you possibly can.

A pre-amp is mostly made to overcome line and splitter losses, so a short cable run probably would not be helped a lot by a pre-amp.

If you need a pre-amp look at the CM 7777 or the Winegard 8700 or 8800.

I had to read your tvfool and wiki a couple times because I thought 2 was actually on 42 (remapped to 2) but I misread. They (WKOB) have an analog channel at 42 with Daystar and the digital on 2 with the subchannels. They're only running 300 watts on channel 2 so is it even possible to get that far away? I know tvfool shows for me in Minneapolis some low powered stations as "red" when there is no way I could get them unless I was near the actual transmitter. Their facebook site shows folks having issues with it in NYC proper so being 40 miles away probably isnt gonna work.
sidenote...they have an approved motion to move the digital to 42 but they havent done it yet

Channel 2 nationwide is rarely used because it turns out for DTV its very hard to keep a consistent signal level unless you have line of sight. Its pretty much the same same for all of VHF-LO channels 2 to 6. For your area you have lots of small hills and ridges which will probably give you a signal that cuts out often if you are behind one of them. I would say WPIX is a good possibility as well as WABC and WNET with any decent VHF-HI antenna like the Winegard 1713 or Antennacraft Y10-7-13. I'll bet there are a lot of old Radio Shack fringe antennas around you like VU-120, VU-160 or VU-190s that someone may be willing to get rid of that would work for you.

Since you want channel 2, you need the Winegard 8200U - try that first and get it up as high as you possibly can.

If you need a pre-amp look at the CM 7777 or the Winegard 8700 or 8800.

Jim, thanks! That may help. I was hoping to not need a roof mount, but it looks like I might have to go that route if I want certain channels, plus being somewhat valleyed in my region doesn't help (I'd need another 15' in the air to crest the hill and get better LOS, but with winds often being high here, I'd be afraid of having the rig blow over to my neighbor's house/car).

Channel 2 nationwide is rarely used because it turns out for DTV its very hard to keep a consistent signal level unless you have line of sight. Its pretty much the same same for all of VHF-LO channels 2 to 6. For your area you have lots of small hills and ridges which will probably give you a signal that cuts out often if you are behind one of them. I would say WPIX is a good possibility as well as WABC and WNET with any decent VHF-HI antenna like the Winegard 1713 or Antennacraft Y10-7-13. I'll bet there are a lot of old Radio Shack fringe antennas around you like VU-120, VU-160 or VU-190s that someone may be willing to get rid of that would work for you.

Bob, I've looked around here and there is an utter lack of antennas. Most people have restorted to either cable or Dish/DirecTV -- the houses look more like a satellite farm at times from the old and new dishes mounted on roofs. Where there are antennas, they're the 30+ year old kind that people haven't taken off the house...and probably don't use (judging from the satellites near them).

I had to read your tvfool and wiki a couple times because I thought 2 was actually on 42 (remapped to 2) but I misread. They (WKOB) have an analog channel at 42 with Daystar and the digital on 2 with the subchannels. They're only running 300 watts on channel 2 so is it even possible to get that far away? I know tvfool shows for me in Minneapolis some low powered stations as "red" when there is no way I could get them unless I was near the actual transmitter. Their facebook site shows folks having issues with it in NYC proper so being 40 miles away probably isnt gonna work.
sidenote...they have an approved motion to move the digital to 42 but they havent done it yet

You read my mind, Iceberg. I was more wondering "if", and it's seeming to not be a possibility. Shame because they're the only RetroTV outlet in the region, which was my reason for wanting. I'm glad for the confirmation before I purchased equipment and discovered a huge disappointment. Thanks to you -- and everyone -- for taking the time to analyze in such detail, it's greatly appreciated!

If you are mainly wanting RTV have you thought of maybe a free to air setup?

RTV has a national feed (some markets have their own feed with some different shows) on KU Band. Requires a 30" dish and a free to air receiver. They also have TuffTV which is a "guy" type channel.
Looking at the schedules WKOB does have a different schedule than the national
WKOB
http://www.myretrotv.com/prog_schedules/WKOB.pdf

national feed
http://www.myretrotv.com/prog_schedules/RTV-National.pdf

You could get a FTA setup for $150 max...usually if you have access to equipment much less.

PM me if you want more info.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)