Seem to have lost everything

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

carnold535

Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
Central Florida
Good evening one and all!

I am new to SatelliteGuys but I do appreciate all of the great information on the pages. I have a problem that I am trying to resolve.

My equipment...
DVR501
Standard Dish
SW21
two dual LNBFs
Radio Shack Satellite Signal finder

My problem started last week during some good rain storms we had here in Central Florida. I lost signal several times and attributed it to rain fade. Thursday night there were no storms while I was watching TV and I lost signal several times. It kept happening so I tried to check the signal strength and it was registering 0. I tried to check the switch (SW21) and I received an error that there was no switch. From that point forward I could not get any more signals and lost all reception.

I checked for interference between the dish and the satellites and decided to trim a tree that was close by. That didn't help. Next I decided to move the dish about 12 feet higher up the tower. I relocated the Dish and replaced the old cable with new 25' RG6U Quad shield cables. I used a compass to try and get the right heading for the dish and set my bolts. Upon checking the receiver, still no signals even after moving the dish east to west and moving it up and down. This is when I bought the signal finder.

Upon setting up the signal finder I was able to locate a satellite quickly and it was almost exactly where I had the dish pointed, however the 22 MHz indicator would not light on the signal finder so I assumed I had the wrong bird. I tried slewing the dish E/W and N/S and was unable to find any other satellites. Now I am perplexed. I had tried the scans with and without the switch bypassed and no differences. We have had some good electrical storms in the area for about 2 weeks but no terribly close strikes but I don't know if there could have been something close by when I wasn't home. Is it possible that some of my equipment has been damaged from lightning? None of the electronics inside of the house are damaged in any way and I would expect some kind of collateral damage from a lightning strike.

Any input would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance for any information or advice!

Chuck

It sounds like the sw21 switch is not working any longer. You need to call DISH and get the dish home protection plan added to your account for 5.99 a month. Then tell them you need a tech to come out and fix your dish install. It will cost you 29.99 for a tech visit using the insurance and 99.99 without using it. Once the install is fixed and you are back in business , you can call and have the insurance plan removed. You can add and take it off as needed, as many times as needed. I use it for replacement lnbs and when I need to replace a receiver that is down. It cost nothing for shipping and handling for replacement receivers , lnbs etc , if you use the dish home protection plan.

Also be aware that the tuner chip in our 501's has been known to give up the ghost. It can be replaced, but that would definitely cost you more than $29.99 + $5.99.

Thanks!

Thank you for your replies! I have ordered a new SW21 switch from Sadoun this morning and will see if that fixes the problem. If not then I will try some of the other ways through Dish. I live out in the country and taking a day off to wait for a service technician to get out there and do something means lost productivity and money for me!

Chuck

It turns out that my receiver died on me. Called Dish tonight and they offered me a 522 to replace this one but I'm required by Dish to have someone come into my home to plug it all in. :mad: Unfortunately I have real work to do and can't take time off to get this done so I guess it means that after 13 years with Dish, I'm leaving for someone else.

I had success appealing to the ceo address to get two Dishn It Up 612's shipped for $25/ea. Normally they insist on coming out to do that job as well. But (1) I didn't want the added expense and (2) I didn't want to explain my house wiring to the tech since it's unique. Plus (3) the Dish contractor in my area is truly horrible.

It turns out that my receiver died on me. Called Dish tonight and they offered me a 522 to replace this one but I'm required by Dish to have someone come into my home to plug it all in. :mad: Unfortunately I have real work to do and can't take time off to get this done so I guess it means that after 13 years with Dish, I'm leaving for someone else.

The 522 is a duel tuner receiver and is a little more complicated hook up then the
501. You will need 2 cables coming from the satellite switch or a pair of diplexers and single cable if you are using DishPro LNB's.

You have ZERO days off from work?

You will need 2 cables coming from the satellite switch or a pair of diplexers and single cable if you are using DishPro LNB's.
2 cables from the SW21's, yes. Pair of diplexers, no! (Well, not for sat tuners.) He's using 2 legacy duals on a Dish 500. He could swap that and the SW21's out for a DishPro Plus twin and a single cable to the 522.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)