Selecting "Dolby Digital only" in menu, still passes PCM

oryan_dunn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
Indiana
The title says it all really. I've selected DD only in the menu, but my 722 still sends out PCM. How do I get it to send out DD only and convert PCM to DD2.0?

Passes PCM to what, your TV or your A/V receiver? and what type of connection are you using HDMI or Optical cable? I know that my TV doesn't pass DD through the HDMI port so it's not the 622 receiver in my case. I have to connect the 622 directly to my A/V receiver to get DD.

I've got an optical connection from my 722 to my a/v receiver. I've selected DD only on the 722, but when I watch SD channels, my receiver still reports PCM.

"but when I watch SD channels, my receiver still reports PCM."

Well, most SD channels are PCM. So you're asking the receiver to pass DD when there is no DD. The receiver will pass what it's receiving.

"but when I watch SD channels, my receiver still reports PCM."

Well, most SD channels are PCM. So you're asking the receiver to pass DD when there is no DD. The receiver will pass what it's receiving.

I understand that. I was hoping that it would encode it to DD. My DCT6416 did that for analog cable channels. So if it doesn't re-encode the sound, what is the point of the option in the menu?

I understand that. I was hoping that it would encode it to DD. My DCT6416 did that for analog cable channels. So if it doesn't re-encode the sound, what is the point of the option in the menu?

I have the same issue. Per the manual, PCM should not be present at the audio receiver if Dolby Digital only is selected. Still seeing PCM on my Sony.

This is one of the only things I don't like about the 622. I also had a DCT3412 (i think) with Comcast and the receiver was able to pass DD when it needed and stereo when it needed (at the correct volume levels between stations). I have to leave my 622 set to PCM only because if I set it to DD/PCM the volume levels are too great when I change channels.

Are you using a Digital Optical Audio TosLink Cable? If so, then you shouldn't have this problem. It also goes by the type of cable also, they aren't all the same.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)