Self-aligning DTV satellite - equipment needed?

sealrock

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 28, 2023
San Francisco
I am going to go ahead and try to align an antenna myself when it arrives next week. I have seen a video that was outdated on YouTube that made it look pretty simple, using the DTV receiver's software and a screen, and nothing else. I know there are all sorts of devices ranging from $50-$1000 that are used to independently align the signal. But wondering if it can still be done with just the receiver's setup program, providing I am clever enough. Or if you'd recommend a cheap alignment meter (not going to spring for the $1000 one).

Thanks

I am going to go ahead and try to align an antenna myself when it arrives next week. I have seen a video that was outdated on YouTube that made it look pretty simple, using the DTV receiver's software and a screen, and nothing else. I know there are all sorts of devices ranging from $50-$1000 that are used to independently align the signal. But wondering if it can still be done with just the receiver's setup program, providing I am clever enough. Or if you'd recommend a cheap alignment meter (not going to spring for the $1000 one).

Thanks
All depends on what your trying to set up ...
You said "Self Aligning" in your post ...
Yes there are some that align themselves, but most of them are the Sat at 101 only (for D*).
Most are Winegard units ...

Or you can get a portable dish and a D* recvr and set one up ...

All depends on what your trying to set up ...
You said "Self Aligning" in your post ...
Yes there are some that align themselves, but most of them are the Sat at 101 only (for D*).
Most are Winegard units ...

Or you can get a portable dish and a D* recvr and set one up ...
Hi Jimbo,

Thank you for replying. Yeah I am going to be using a standard DTV dish since the only self-aligning one for DTV is $2000. I am a bit unclear about what you're saying 'most of them are the Sat at 101 only' if you care to clarify, I'd appreciate.

My question is mainly about if you can do the setup of a dish with the receiver itself telling you when you're tuned in. Or if you need a meter...

Thanks again

Hi Jimbo,

Thank you for replying. Yeah I am going to be using a standard DTV dish since the only self-aligning one for DTV is $2000. I am a bit unclear about what you're saying 'most of them are the Sat at 101 only' if you care to clarify, I'd appreciate.

My question is mainly about if you can do the setup of a dish with the receiver itself telling you when you're tuned in. Or if you need a meter...

Thanks again
You Can get a Winegard Self pointing unit for about $500, but it only covers the 101 Sat location, meaning, mostly, No HD .... That no HD COULD change if they ever make the changes they have talked about ...

Can you set up a dish and recvr without a Sat Meter ?
Absolutely ...

People do it all the time.
Use the info from the recvr your setting up.
Go into the settings, find the Sat set up screen, put your zip code in and it will give you your coordinates ...

Use the recvr meter screen to see if you found your Sats .....
Make adjustments Slowly.

Reactions: Tecnicoloco