Self install of Oval Triple LNB.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

billbillw

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Atlanta
I've searched the forum, but haven't found the answer to this question.
Is there a website or utility that will tell you the azimuth, elevation and tilt for installing the Oval Triple LNB dish? The D* website only gives you info for aiming the 18" round dish. I know that many just aim the Triple LNB at the 110 sat and tweak from there, but I'd like to know where to start, especially with the tilt. Which sat does the D* website utility point you to? I thought it was the 101, if so, how do you find the 110? How much tilt should I expect. I am in Atlanta, GA metro.

the receiver itself gives the info, plus you can search for a satellite angle or position calculator if you cant find the one thats on the D* site

charper1 said:
the receiver itself gives the info, plus you can search for a satellite angle or position calculator if you cant find the one thats on the D* site

The only one that is on the D* site is for aiming 18" round dish, unless there is another hidden page for the Oval 3LNB dish.

dfergie said:
I entered a fictitious address to get the zip code 30314, here should be the coordinantes...224 degrees azimuth, 42 degrees elevation and 59 degrees tilt...

Where did you get this aiming info? From a receiver or a program that installers use?

charper1 said:
You can do it right in the receiver's menu. What model dish and receiver are you using and maybe we can get you to the proper menu. You can even look in the user guides to find the menu. FYI: some old receivers may not have the proper software.

Receiver User Guides

Phase3 User Guide

Phase2 User Guide

1st Generation Multi-LNB Dish

Haven't purchased a receiver yet. I'm thinking about the RCA DTC-210 receiver though. I'm just trying to make sure I can see the birds and do the install myself. My house is already wired for D*. Install for me is just a matter of hooking the cables up and mounting a new dish on an existing pole and aligning it properly.

billbillw said:
Haven't purchased a receiver yet. I'm thinking about the RCA DTC-210 receiver though. I'm just trying to make sure I can see the birds and do the install myself. My house is already wired for D*. Install for me is just a matter of hooking the cables up and mounting a new dish on an existing pole and aligning it properly.

Then the AZ & EL are all you will need to do a site survey. The scew is only a rotation.

If you have all of the other aspects of your site survey done you should have no problem. I aligned my oval Phase III dish in a bucket after only estimating where I thought the birds would be with a compass, an aeronautical chart and a lot of research. Of course, I don't get the 119 but that is because there is a tree in the way. If I elevated the dish I would get all three but for now this is not an issue since none of the channels I subscribe to are on that sat.

After I installed it I read about all of the difficulties of aligning an oval dish and was quite happy with my accomplishment. Perhaps when the tree grows a bit more and I have to elevate the dish (assuming we stay in this aparment for that length of time) I'll have a different story. I can say that after reading the instructions that it seemed like too much of an ordeal but once the attempt was made it was not that difficult.

if you have the 101 and the 119 YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE 110

if the 101 and119 are where they should be like 90 plus on the 3 and 8 transponder you have to be hitting the 110

sorry if the 101 is at 90 on tx 3 or 8 and the 119 is at least on 90 on the 22 the 110 should be screaming, aiming comes with experience

Very good Java based utility that shows true north and magnetic north azimuths, can lookup by zip, city/state or lat/long.

The satellite names are not 100% up to date (what the heck do you expect for free?) but the satellite longitude positions are; and that's what really matters:

http://vps.arachnoid.com/satfinder/

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)