Self Install Questions for the experts

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Snoozer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
I've had DISH since 1995 when the original Dealer/Installer let me do my own 4 TV install (wired whole house myself) and I've handled all of my upgrades etc. since then. I just pick up the stuff and hook it up (after reading all of the posts on here of course) and everything turned out great.

Now I've just upgraded to a 622 and a 222 which is a step up from my last upgrade (DISH 500 with a 501 and 3 301's using a Dual LNB and 2 splitters) and I'm still doing my own upgrades/installs

What I need to know is:

What's the difference between the 1000.1 and 1000.2 dish? I read that the 1000.1 is needed for my market (LA Ca) but I also read where some folks are recommending a second dish be used for the 129 sat. Do I need that? If so, can I use the 500 dish I have now? (I have a dual on there now and a single LNB laying around somewhere in the garage)

Also, I'll be getting a DP 34 switch but read about the new DP 33 coming out. Somewhere on here I read that it might be a better switch to use considering my current dual LNB configuration with only 2 cables.

Any advise/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

For that configuration, the easiest route is a 1000.2 because it will feed your dual tuners with one single cable and will give you 119, 110 and 129. However, 129 is a problem for most of all in the West Coast so it's recommended to use a second dish for 129. The bigger the better but a D500 will do.

If you use a second dish, the lnb on the D500 for 129 needs to be a DP Dual or DP Single. The lnb on the 500 for 119 and 110 needs to be a DP Twin. If it doesn't say DP in the front of the LNB, then it's legacy and won't work. You run a cable for each satellite location to the DP34 and then feed the dual tuners with two cables. Run check switch and you should fine.

The cheapest, easiest, and most reliable solution would be a Dish 500 with a DP Dual (or single) for 129 and another Dish 500 with a Dish Pro PLUS Twin for 110/119. Run a line from the DP Dual to the DPP Twin and then a line from the DPP Twin to the 622 and 222.

Appreciate the replies Randall, Scott and rc. If I understand what I'm reading, then I should be getting a 1000.2 Dish when I get my new equipment from the dealer and not a 1000.1 like I was led to believe.

Since I'm already wired for a dual LNB, I could connect each cable to a dual LNB on the 1000.2 and theoretically receive 110,119 and 129 feeds that would be run through the DP 34 switch to cover the 622 and 222.

Not sure what kind of LNB I'll be getting with my stuff, but I'm assuming it'll be a DP dual. Would there be any advantage of a using the new DP33 switch with my setup?

Because of potential problems with the 129, is it possible for me to use the new 1000.2 dish for 110 and 119 and my existing dish 500 with a single or dual DP LNB for the 129? Although I originall received a Quad LNB with my dish 500, I used a dual which I believe is a legacy (only because I don't think the DP's were out then, but I'll check just to be sure)

Also, is there an adapter for the second dish that can be attached to the same mounting pole as the 1000.2, or does it have to be mounted seperatly?

thanks again for all the help.

You can make a dish tree, I've made several, just attaching it to the post/pole, each installer may have their own method, but it's possible, just make sure it's secure that's all.

You could use the 1000.2 dish with a 129 wing dish, you'd have to put foil over the 129 eye, seems like quite a waste tho and possibly more expensive.

If your using a 1000.2 dish, then there is no advantage of a DPP33 switch, if your using a Dish 500 119/110 and a Dish 500 129 with a DPP33 then your in business as you'll only need one line running to the 622 and another to the 222.

I'm somewhat confused now. Would I be better off in the LA market by getting two DP 500 dishes with a DPP33 switch or should I go with the 1000.2 and a DP 500 with the DPP 34 . Also, not sure I understand why I need to put foil over the 129 eye.

As for the 2 500's, Scott makes reference to one being a DP and the other a DP Plus. Please explain

Thanks

Nobody has yet to answer his question.....what is the difference between 1000.1 and 1000.2....?????

Nobody has yet to answer his question.....what is the difference between 1000.1 and 1000.2....?????

:) None, because there isn't a 1000.1. There's a 1000 and a 1000.2. The differences between those two are:

1) 1000.2 is a bigger dish
2) The LNBs are different. The 1000 uses a DPP Twin and a DP Dual for 2 orbital locations and 1 Satellite in (another orbital location) and 2 outputs. The 1000.2 uses one LNB for 3 orbital locations and 1 Satellite in (another orbital location) and 3 outputs.

For the West Coast, I recommend a two dish setup but the 1000.2 would work too. You will get lower readings off 129 with a single dish 1000.2 but it makes it easier to setup and it's only one dish.

You need to get over the idea of the DP34 (there is no such beastie as a DPP34). The gear built into the Dish1000.2 will provide everything you need for your ViP222 and ViP622 (and another receiver IIRC) with a single cable run to each receiver.

I'm somewhat confused now. Would I be better off in the LA market by getting two DP 500 dishes with a DPP33 switch or should I go with the 1000.2 and a DP 500 with the DPP 34 . Also, not sure I understand why I need to put foil over the 129 eye.

As for the 2 500's, Scott makes reference to one being a DP and the other a DP Plus. Please explain

Thanks

Whether you go with a 1000.2 or two Dish 500's, you won't need any sort of external switch if you only have two receivers. As for the DPPlus, it has a switch built into it to accept the signal from the second dish.

I think it's all here...

I've had DISH since 1995 when the original Dealer/Installer let me do my own 4 TV install (wired whole house myself) and I've handled all of my upgrades etc. since then. I just pick up the stuff and hook it up (after reading all of the posts on here of course) and everything turned out great.

Now I've just upgraded to a 622 and a 222 which is a step up from my last upgrade (DISH 500 with a 501 and 3 301's using a Dual LNB and 2 splitters) and I'm still doing my own upgrades/installs

What I need to know is:

What's the difference between the 1000.1 and 1000.2 dish? I read that the 1000.1 is needed for my market (LA Ca) but I also read where some folks are recommending a second dish be used for the 129 sat. Do I need that? If so, can I use the 500 dish I have now? (I have a dual on there now and a single LNB laying around somewhere in the garage)

Also, I'll be getting a DP 34 switch but read about the new DP 33 coming out. Somewhere on here I read that it might be a better switch to use considering my current dual LNB configuration with only 2 cables.

Any advise/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Check here, pictures, descriptions, etc.
Solid Signal
Highdef Jeff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)