Self-Install questions

juce

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
Bayamon, PR
First and foremost my location is Puerto Rico, so some of the questions would have this in mind.

When dish installed in my house, they used a 4 foot channel master and a regular dual port LNB (haha it said DirecTV too)...

Now I want HDTV and thanks to everyone in this forum I was able to put the pieces together.

I got a 5 foot dish and installed it myself.
I got a an 811 from a member here
I got 2 DP21 and 2 DP dual LNBs

Here we go:

1. The piece that holds the LNB in both the channel master and the new 5 footer is too small for DishPro type LNBs which are alot thicker. How do you get around this? I tried rigging it with cable ties to the existing support, but it has to be exactly in the right spot, or no cigar.

2. Would it be OK to remove the plastic casing of the LNB and leave it 'naked'? They are sealed and weather proof...

3. I am having a hell of a time finding 110. When I find 119 with the 4 footer it gives me about 75 strenght, but 119 in the 5 ft dish only gives about 50. What is up with that? I doubt the dish is bent as it is very sturdy metal and has a bent lip to maintain the shape and add strenght...

4. If Puerto Rico is south of the US why do I have to point my dish south at such a low angle? I mean it is almost vertical....

5. I found out that to find 110 using a 311 and a TV you can only use certain transponders for signal strenght. Is this true? Which ones?

Thanks for any guidance or help!

juce said:
First and foremost my location is Puerto Rico, so some of the questions would have this in mind.
Welcome back juce! :)
When dish installed in my house, they used a 4 foot channel master and a regular dual port LNB (haha it said DirecTV too)...

Now I want HDTV and thanks to everyone in this forum I was able to put the pieces together.

I got a 5 foot dish and installed it myself.
I got a an 811 from a member here
I got 2 DP21 and 2 DP dual LNBs
sweet....
Here we go:

1. The piece that holds the LNB in both the channel master and the new 5 footer is too small for DishPro type LNBs which are alot thicker. How do you get around this? I tried rigging it with cable ties to the existing support, but it has to be exactly in the right spot, or no cigar.
crack the casing off of it. It's sealed. I did this with a Dish LNB for a 30" dish. The case comes off right down the middleby using a screwdriver (or if you drop it that will do it too :)). I cut the plastic top part of it (behind the "eye")
2. Would it be OK to remove the plastic casing of the LNB and leave it 'naked'? They are sealed and weather proof...
that would work. Otherwise just cut the casing behind the "eye"
3. I am having a hell of a time finding 110. When I find 119 with the 4 footer it gives me about 75 strenght, but 119 in the 5 ft dish only gives about 50. What is up with that? I doubt the dish is bent as it is very sturdy metal and has a bent lip to maintain the shape and add strenght...
use TP 11 or 12 to find it
4. If Puerto Rico is south of the US why do I have to point my dish south at such a low angle? I mean it is almost vertical....
that I dont know
5. I found out that to find 110 using a 311 and a TV you can only use certain transponders for signal strenght. Is this true? Which ones?

Thanks for any guidance or help!
11 or 12 will work

But are you just using it for HD? or for other channels too?
HD is on TP's 7 & 17 (according to Lyngsat)

juce
your elevation is 36 for 110
The satellites are above the equator so your elevation is higher than mine is (I'm in Minnesota...elevation about 25 here)

hope you get everything rolling soon. i remember when i got started in hd. i can't imagine going what you are going through in PR. Best of luck getting it set up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts