Self install trouble shooting.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bwarning

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 31, 2004
Central IL.
My sisters boyfriend did a self install and is having trouble. He is only getting the even transponders on the 101 sat. Do not believe that it is the receivers, both worked fine before the move and are acting up the same way now . It is a three phase dish two Tivos , multi switch . Ran direct lines from the dish to the units both lines seem the same. I have not seen the set up yet will be there sunday. Any one have any ideas on what is wrong.

A PhaseIII dish has the built in multi-switch that will operate 4 separate lines; how many total is he needing? Maybe he does not need the extra external multi-switch, OR, maybe its has gone bad, OR may he has it wired incorrectly. Has he tried running just one line directly from the dish to just one receiver to see if that will work first? Do either of you have access to another dish that you know works perfectly to test with it; for a possible bad LNB on the other?

He tried bypassing the multi switch, and that had no effect. I was thinking that it might be the LNB, but don't have a spare to check with . I would have to get up on my 2nd story roof to remove mine and then my tivos would be out for a day or two. I was hoping he did something wrong. Is it possible he line up on the wrong SAT. he only uses the 101 sat. His last dish was a single LMB. Locals on 101 and no high def.

Did he use existing wire or run his own.
If existing, chase it for splitters and splices. Either way, check every connector to make sure they were properly prepared. Recieving one polarity indicates a short, IMO, however it could also be an lnb, so don't get me wrong.

Knowing what sort of connectors are installed would also be useful. Twist ons must be prepared differently than crimp ons.

Great pointChadzx, I forgot to ask about the possibility of the cables he used being pre-run and having non-compatible splitting devices hidden in the attic, walls, etc.

BWARNING: What was the answer to running a single "test" cable directly from the dish to one receiver? Go through a window, door or whatever, its only a test line. This will rule out everything except the LNB and receivers (you can test the receivers at your house since you know your setup works).

Last edited:
I do not think it is the receivers, they were working fine before the move. I am taking a cable that I have that is all ready made up and that I know is good. Will run from dish through a window to receivers to check.

Look for big dogs in the backyard. They like to chew that cable and when they chew it out completely then you lose all the signal, but when they chew half-way you will have only half transponders and the other half will be missing.

Look for big dogs in the backyard. They like to chew that cable and when they chew it out completely then you lose all the signal, but when they chew half-way you will have only half transponders and the other half will be missing.

That's not only big dogs, and its not only when they "chew halfway". With broken sheathing, moisture gets in, causes corrosion, and all sorts of interesting problems. It could just as easily be caused by a rodent, like a squirrell.

Did not get home until late sunday night. It looks like the LNB was bad tried by passing everything same problem. His buddy had a unused dish on his house, replaced the LNB and everything worked fine.

if the satellite isn't exactly on the 182 deg azimuth, would you get any sort of signal to the receiver?? (182 deg because of the zip)

That's not only big dogs, and its not only when they "chew halfway". With broken sheathing, moisture gets in, causes corrosion, and all sorts of interesting problems. It could just as easily be caused by a rodent, like a squirrell.

Just a few days ago saw a cable that was painted over to make it look nicer. Must be a special paint or maybe combined with high heat but the jacket of RG6 completely cracked as soon as I touched it.
Going back to our squirrels sometimes all you need is something heavy sitting on top or pinching your cable and here you losing channels. When people move their 500 pound entertainment centers back to the wall they dont realize they can sit that heavy furniture on their wires and cable. To find out you have to take all 3 thousand little pictures souvenirs and knick knacks from the shelves and move 500lbs piece away from the wall. After fixing the problem move it back to the wall (while pinching those wires all over again), replace 3 thousand pictures and knick knacks and so on and so forth..........repeat as needed

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)