Self-install??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
i prefer to do my own, but DTV won't allow you to install the slimline dishs yourself.

DIRECTV has never said you are not allowed to install the slimline dish or any other dish for that matter. It's not like they'll send a guy over to uninstall it if you buy it and do it yourself. :)

I don't like waiting around all day for an installer to show up, show up late, or never at all.

Normally once I dial in the dish and set everything up, have a picture on 100 then call D* to activate.

So I'm assuming after everything is setup I call D* with my account information and they'll activate the new receivers and deactivate the old ones ?

Will I need any special tools to align the dish?

Last edited:
So I'm assuming after everything is setup I call D* with my account information and they'll activate the new receivers and deactivate the old ones ?

Will I need any special tools to align the dish?

Yes, you'll want to call in to activate ... you might be able to do that online, but I would rather be talking to someone incase anything else needs to be done as well.

Special tools ?
Wrench and the ability to align it, thats all.

For a 6' pole, hardly ...

Ok, from the training guide:

a. hole = 36" deep

b. 12" diameter at top

c. belled out at bottom

d. The hole must have at least 150 lbs of concrete when complete. It is suggested to mix the concrete into a large plastic container with the maufacturers suggested water amounts, then pour the mixed concrete into the hole.

e. The pole must be no less than 7' long and between 14ga and 16ga thickness.

there's more, but, when the instruction says MUST, then it's required.

Now, I'd be silly (and lying) to say every pole I've put in meets these requirements, however, in the 15 months I've been doing installs/upgrades/service calls, I have not had a single failure due to a bad ODU mount, either pole or roof. And yes, I do check on my repeat service calls.

Last edited:
Ok, from the training guide:

a. hole = 36" deep

b. 12" diameter at top

c. belled out at bottom

d. The hole must have at least 150 lbs of concrete when complete. It is suggested to mix the concrete into a large plastic container with the maufacturers suggested water amounts, then pour the mixed concrete into the hole.

e. The pole must be no less than 7' long and between 14ga and 16ga thickness.

there's more, but, when the instruction says MUST, then it's required.

Now, I'd be silly (and lying) to say every pole I've put in meets these requirements, however, in the 15 months I've been doing installs/upgrades/service calls, I have not had a single failure due to a bad ODU mount, either pole or roof. And yes, I do check on my repeat service calls.

enough highlighted :up

The first couple times I did it all myself. The last few I've had techs do it (with my preference for location and wiring), then had to redo it for a cleaner look. I enjoy it.

The first couple times I did it all myself. The last few I've had techs do it (with my preference for location and wiring), then had to redo it for a cleaner look. I enjoy it.

Generally the Installer will work with you once they realize you have a clue.

Normally the installers Learn stuff when they show up here.

Last guy i had to show him that the unit had a RF remote !

Sorry but not to beat the pole thing to death here but is a pole from a muffler shop going to be thick enough and will it withstand the rust issue? How much does a muffler shop charge typically for a 8 foot section of 2 inch OD pipe? If you went stainless stell I'm sure they will wnat your first born...lol. None of the local Lowes or Home Depots or Menards in SW Michigan carry galvanized 2 inch OD poles. Thanks in advance...

Sorry but not to beat the pole thing to death here but is a pole from a muffler shop going to be thick enough and will it withstand the rust issue? How much does a muffler shop charge typically for a 8 foot section of 2 inch OD pipe? If you went stainless stell I'm sure they will wnat your first born...lol. None of the local Lowes or Home Depots or Menards in SW Michigan carry galvanized 2 inch OD poles. Thanks in advance...

A fence post company does though, thats where I got my galvanized post from.

btw, i agree that a heavier post should be used, but the ones D* uses are not all that heavy either.
you'd have to check with one of the installers here to find out, but they don't look all that thick.

So, am I understanding this right - I could go to an online retailer, order the DirecTV slimline satellite dish and a receiver, install/point the dish myself, then call in to setup an account and activate the receiver?

I did the same thing with Dish Network - ordered all the pieces then I was prompted on the screen to call in to activate. Could I do the same thing with Direct? I am big into installing stuff myself. I understand that I would be leasing the receiver and would be in a 2 year contract (where with Dish I owned the receiver and am not in a contract at all), but for me I just want to install the pieces myself.

So, am I understanding this right - I could go to an online retailer, order the DirecTV slimline satellite dish and a receiver, install/point the dish myself, then call in to setup an account and activate the receiver?

I did the same thing with Dish Network - ordered all the pieces then I was prompted on the screen to call in to activate. Could I do the same thing with Direct? I am big into installing stuff myself. I understand that I would be leasing the receiver and would be in a 2 year contract (where with Dish I owned the receiver and am not in a contract at all), but for me I just want to install the pieces myself.

Yup,
Only difference is You will have to pay for everything, recvr (obviously leased), Slimline dish/SWM depending on what route you want to go.

You can order from the Site Sponsors if you like, listed at the top of the page.

Remember, if D* does it, the Dish is usually free, could cost up to $ 100 + ....
I would recommend doing a pole mount vs on the roof.

Yup,
Only difference is You will have to pay for everything, recvr (obviously leased), Slimline dish/SWM depending on what route you want to go.

You can order from the Site Sponsors if you like, listed at the top of the page.

Remember, if D* does it, the Dish is usually free, could cost up to $ 100 + ....
I would recommend doing a pole mount vs on the roof.

I am seriously considering doing this - currently with Dish but not happy about losing ESPN News. Two questions though - looking at the site sponsors at the top of the page (I clicked on each one of the websites), which ones have Directv dishes/receivers? I only see Dish and Free to Air. Second, I live just outside Chicago - what dish would I want?

Hey guys,

If doing a self install, what would be the minimal required equipment to get the Choice package + Sunday Ticket in SD? I've seen some installations in my area using a small dish (looks like 18").

I would assume a D12 receiver, but I'm not sure as to what dish and LNB.

Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts