self install

sA :: Shaggy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
5701 S Santa Fe Dr
i need to run cable for a 622 install. im going to have OTA and also a line to tv2

heres my question is this package a good deal for a one time use type install? here is the link

That's about $75.

Since you are doing a one time install, and may not need that much cable, I think I would figure out what I really needed and go down to Lowe's and price the same items in the quantity needed.

If i did my math right, im going to need about 235 feet of cable.

Im running 1 cable from ota on roof to bed room, and other sat cable from roof to bed room, cable from living room to bed room, then all the smaller cables for the the splitters and diplexers. here is my math and a pic of my diagram.

You might be asking why a Dish 500 to bed room well, im moving a 510 into my bedroom for strickley education programming recordings (my dad is a teacher) this way we don't have to use up the 622 hdd space. and if he needs to show something at school then he just takes the 510 there and shows it on the projector. simple simple.

On Roof
OTA to splitter= 20'
OTA sp to BR= 80'
OTA sp to diplexer=4'
Dish 1000 to diplexer= 4'
Dish 500 to BR= 80'

Living Room
Using diplexer to separator =4'
tv2 output to BR=40'

Total
232 but add a few feet for trial and error.

Attachments

• dish install.jpg
    dish install.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 187
It would cost a little more (maybe more than a little), but convince your dad to buy you a Pocket Dish to transfer the recordings on from the 622, then play the Pocket Dish at school.:D

I think I would still go to Lowe's and do a price check first. I know you can get everything in that package there. They sell 250' rolls also.

However, on the connectors and the tool for it, they sell 2 different brands. On one isle where the TV antenna stuff and satellite stuff are, you'll find the higher priced connectors and one tool kit. But on the next isle, opposite end where there is some other wiring items - I believe for alarm systems or something, you will find a lower priced tool and bulk connectors at a savings.

Several months back, I had noticed Lowe's was lowered priced than Home Depot, and a lot cheaper than Radio Shack.

(I don't have stock in any of them, just Wendy's.)

well i looked around today.. got prices on pretty much everything.. and the package seems to be the best deal... but also end up getting wall plates from lowes and all the stuff to do a clean install..

I was temped to get him the pocketdish the issue w/ that is our 510 is LOADED im talking we have 10 more hrs left on it and most of it is his. this seems to be the best.. especaily for the remote (he tends to do presentations and pauses the video, talks, replays.. its the best for him)

Why not make DVDs from the 510, and be done with it?
Set-top DVD burners cost less than the Pocket Dish.
Let him take that to school, not the relatively delicate 510 !

Last edited:
have one actually 2 one living room one bed room.. cant burn them fast enough.. and no im not joking.. and its no big deal for him to take it so....actually I've gotten him to (hes taken it before) be very careful w/ it and there have not been any issues.

Last edited:
Not really a bad deal on ebay, considering I have seen that exact same tool at Home Depot for $12, that same stripper for $10.

Not my first choice, as we do sell better quality compression crimpers and strippers at the Dishstore, but if your only doing a few connections this will work good.

Other than that, to the best of my knowledge Coaxial cable usually sells on either 500 or 1000 foot rolls.

250 feet of cable is not going to come on a reel or in a pull box, its going to come loose. Nouthing wrong with it, but it can be an issue because you have to keep an eye on it to make sure its not going to get tangled if your doing a long run. Id much rather see you go to Home Depot and buy a 500 foot spool instead of messing with loose cable.

I agree with Claude...

Lowe's does (did) have the 250' roll/spool which works good by sliding a rod through the center hole.
Home Depot -- I think they did also, but I really don't remember. It may have been just rolled up and placed in a box, and I do believe their price was slightly higher than Lowe's, but not enough to drive across town for.

Radio Shack -- definitely did not have any spools/rolls, and max length was 50' and 75' on the shelf.

ok i got everything. its going somewhat smooth (to be expected)... now newest question can a Dish 500 pole hold a Dish 1000? i have a dish 500 in the right area and it is a roof mount so if we could use the same pole i could avoid roof leaks. thank you

kool... update on install.
if you look at the pic i uploaded...

I finished running the OTA cable added the splitter and put the diplexers on.

I have also installed the wall plates (to run the cable between Living room and "K BR"

tomarows "to do" list.

1: run cable from roof OTA to "K BR" Pretty much done i was say 80% as of right now.

2: Run cable from roof Dish 500 to "K BR" right now @ 0% complete

3: make 6 cables:
1 from 622 to wall plate, 10 feet
1 from wall plate to "K BR" TV, 30 feet
1 from OTA wall plate to "K BR" TV, 10 feet
1 from Dish 500 wall plate to "K BR" TV, 10 feet
1 from Dish1000 to outside diplexor, 2 feet
1 from inside diplexers to dish separator. 1 foot

BTW i did go to Lowes and home depot (each had better prices on some things) it was a lot more expensive (i think im up to $120 right now) but most of the wiring is going to be hidden and its going to look a lot cleaner.

Thank you all for your help. and i will keep you all posted.

Today i finished all the wiring... it looks so amazing hidden and perfect (will post pics). i need 2 (really 4 but anyway) more things, and those will be taken care of on Friday.

1) the dish 1000 installed
2) the 622 put in.
3/4) run two 3 foot cables (oh wow soooo hard lol)

well i guess set 5 will be watch tv and enjoy it all.

pics to be posted in the next 15 min. (just of wiring not of dish/receiver)

Rain is on its way i was on the roof and i felt the water drops. so here it comes (good this way i can test my water proof connections)

http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b...2 install/?action=view&current=1167875558.pbw

Last edited:
well today was the day. everything went as smoth as possible and i have everything working (ok littile issue w/ dish 500 feed but im not going to worry about that yet). the 622 looks AMAZING and im still getting used to how wonderful it is. Im posing the newest pics of the install and a few from before... not in a slide show this time (i didnt really like it).

please post any and all comments and have a wonderful night/ day.

thank you all again for all your help. oh and please dont tell me my room is a mess... I know it is and ill get around to it lol

http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b156/case-a-kill/dish 622 install/

Attachments

• DSC02016.jpg
    DSC02016.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC02015.jpg
    DSC02015.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC02013.jpg
    DSC02013.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC02012.jpg
    DSC02012.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC02010.jpg
    DSC02010.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC02009.jpg
    DSC02009.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC02006.jpg
    DSC02006.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC02005.jpg
    DSC02005.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 119
  • DSC01999.jpg
    DSC01999.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC01998.jpg
    DSC01998.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC01993.jpg
    DSC01993.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC01992.jpg
    DSC01992.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC01991.jpg
    DSC01991.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC01989.jpg
    DSC01989.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
ok i finally got the pics uploaded correctly wish i could have done it differently but hey it all works. have a great night.

p.s. I fixed the dish 500 feed.. well after all this i messed up and put it into the wrong port of the 510 i think it was antenna in that i put it in.. everything is 100% now. thanks again.

Last edited:
622 without an HDTV?

All the cables hanging on the roof with the diplexers is a bit odd.

I wanted the hdd space and it also got rid of the shadow issues + the artifacts that my tv would put up. i wanted a 2 room system. and the 622 was the answer.

they cables might look like they are hanging there but they arent. they are all tacked down and held very well in place.

thx for the comments.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts