Self Installation Help Needed

Dawgfan2010

Original poster
Sep 15, 2010
Georgia
I am trying to self install a Dish 500 system. I tried having it professionally installed but installers take one look at our trees and refuse to even try. I am a definite newbie at this so please be patient! :) I have a Quad LNB hooked directly into a DVR 522. I have managed to find 110W but the signal is coming in on the 119w side of the LNB.

The settings for my area are...

Azimuth - 233
Elevation - 39
Skew - 131

The elevation of 39 did not work for me and I finally found 110w (with 120% signal on transponder 11) at an elevation of 49. All other settings are correct. I did check my mast and it is level on all sides. I have been unable to get 110w to come in on the correct side of the LNB. I finally skewed the dish back to 90 degrees thinking that if I found the signal again that I could just turn the dish and have the 110w come in on the correct side of the lnb. No such luck.

At this point, i am out of ideas and looking for suggestions. I would appreciate any help that can be given. If I have left out of necessary info, please let me know and I will try and get it.

I did run a check switch test and get the message "Missing: Port 2A odd & Missing: Port 2B even"

Edit to Add: I have searched this forum and read thru numerous posts before posting this but I had no luck. Which is why I am reaching out for help.

If you are using a quad, you need 2 lines from the dish to the rec. 1 line from a quad to a separator will give you odd results everytime

Drop the elevation back down to 39 and turn dish to the right

IF you are using a dp quad then the check switch will show one of three or one of 4 if it is a legacy quad then it will show one of 38. you can use your point dish screen for your elevation and azimuth but skew 128 with elevation at 36 will do as 119 is and 239 and 33 degrees and 110 is at 229 but 39 degree peak using 119 t 16 which should be close to 90 then use 110 t 11 and that should be mid 80s

Thanks for the suggestions! I spend some time this evening trying them all and still no luck. :-(

I just don't understand how I can get 110 on the 119 side and not be able to move the dish and pick it back up on the correct side.

I thought that maybe the 110 of the quad lnb might have been bad so I swapped it out with a DP twin. Still no luck.

The area that we are attempting to install the satellite in has no LOS issues. Our neighbors have allowed us to install the satellite on the corner of their property but installers here will not install on another's property. We had an installer look at this area and he said that it was clear but would not install because 1) it was on another's property and 2) he did not want to have to spend the time burying the cable being run to the house.

I too have found myself getting 110 and barely (or not at all) getting 119. The angles aren't what you think because of the offset feedhorn.

If you have an iPhone or Android phone, you should spring for the DishPointer augmented reality app. Makes finding a hole between the trees completely trivial.

LOL. I did buy the Dishpointer app for the android and it shows that this is a clear LOS. However, im not sure if its something to do with the phone or what but the satellites bounce around on the screen even when im holding the phone perfectly still.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)